Diesel 101 for a newbie

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie #21  
I have a 1996 Dodge 2500 with a 12v Cummins. The engine is excellent and gets great milage (I've seen 22). I've had no problems that weren't my own creation. The trucks came with great transmission (avoid autos like the plague), axles, transfer case, etc. Unfortunately, every thing else sucks. The steering is so bad that there should be a class-action suit to get it fixed. In general the truck has a cheap feel and Dodge's prices are like it's made of gold. But that motor is so sweet that it makes up for all the other flaws that the truck has.

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie
Thanks again for the great info. To be more specific, I would be carrying wood and debris, top soil and mulch. Also hauling a trailer with a tractor, possibly up to a smaller skid steer.

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie #23  
The route I went was a 6x10 dump trailer with 10K capacity. For carrying wood and mulch you could easily pull this with a 1/2 ton. Top soil or rock though you can easily overload 10K dump trailer or a one ton dump. I use either a 1/2 Ton or 3/4 Ton depending on the load to pull it.

The other issue with the One Dump trucks is by the time you subtract the weight of the truck and dump body you do not have alot of capacity 12000 GVW - 6000lbs empty = 6000 lbs load capacity. My dump trailer is around 2500 empty or 7500lbs of load capacity.

The insurance and tags on the dump trailer are less than $200/year. I do expect that I will need to purchase new tires this year.

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie #24  
That is debateable- the 99+ had MIM connecting rods which have failed at a far higher rate than the forged rods before 99, especially if modded for more power.

The PMRs (powdered metal rods) were introduced sometime in the '01 model year. Almost all of the rod failures I've seen on the PMR trucks were caused by serious aftermarket power mods, really aggressive chips and bigger injectors. I've not heard of PMR failures in very many stock trucks.

Not to say that aftermarket power stuff is bad at all, :thumbsup: the weaker stock components just usually don't become an issue until then.

*Knock on wood*

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie #25  
The outfit I worked for had all fords with 7.3 and my work pickup was an 2003 with a 6.0 thers a reason ford got rid of them so fast the waranty work hurt them. Stock power I lost the engine # 5 injector burned off popping a hole in the piston. 62000 clutch out from 75000 to 118000 alot of problems. It was terable when I had to take off from a stop sign real slow until it hit 1800 rpm then plenty of power. Persinaly I wouldnt own one couldnt afford it. The 7.3 was a good engine.I like my dodge 5.9 24 valve 1 ton DRW all the power I need to pull trailors with.

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie #26  
Owning a dump and having driven many others, I can confindentaly say, you'll be money ahead looking for the best overall condition rather than brand/engine combo. Yes - some trucks/engine have better or worse reputations, but lets face it, you will be using your's occasionally. And your uses fit the truck perfectly for its designed intent. Not racing, pulling or hauling huge loads, etc. Here in the northeast you will not find a truck that outlasts its engine.

Look for that cream puff truck, and your repairs will be minimized overall. I bought a truck that is polar opposite as a running "project". I wish I didn't.

Bd has a good point too. The load that you can legally haul is pretty small. Keep that in mind. I also hear the CT DOT can be visicous with contractors and those that look like contractors.

BTW - my truck has a GVWR of 10K lbs which slides me in just below the limit for commercial registration here in MA. For me thats fine because its a personal truck. But it scales at just under 8000 lbs. So it can only legally carry 2000 lbs. My 1/2 ton has a GVWR of 6000 lbs and scales just over 4000 lbs , leaving the payload capacities within a few hundred pounds of each other.

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie #28  
Got my info here- 2nd paragraph- Complete 7.3L Power Stroke Long-Block Build - Diesel Power Magazine

They could be wrong I don't know;)

They might be right, but I wouldn't bet on it. I've been around the 7.3 trucks since '96, and got really into them about 6 years ago. I've yet to find PMRs in a pre-'01 model year, and there's a slim chance that some 01s have forged rods.

As for the original poster though, it doesn't sound like something that he'll really have to worry about. I doubt he's planning on chips, injectors, a new clutch (or transmission) etc...:laughing:

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie #29  
I am keeping my eyes peeled for a used 1 ton, DRW, 4x4 with a dump body. Not anything that I need, but something that I want for some upcoming land clearing and landscaping. I have never owned a diesel truck before. The ones that I have seen in my intended price range (under $20k) have been 7+ years old with 70,000+ miles. Is there anything that I should look for or be aware of with these trucks? It seems like the majority of the trucks for sale have been Fords. I don't know the specific years but I know that they offered a 7.3 liter Powerstroke and a 6.0 liter? Is one better than the other? Other brands? Any input would be appreciated, I know this is kind of an open question. Also, I think I have read here that the newer diesel engines have emissions restrictions that have made them a little less desirable. What year did that start happening?

Thanks again,
Chuck

Some things to think about:

7.3 Ford is a none EPA engine no EGR, or DPF. Comes in a few versions the Power Stroke version is electronic fuel injection and is based on the International T444E engine. Some International parts fit some do not.

Ford 6.0 Engine is a spet up in EPA emissions, EGR/EGR cooler and DPF. These engine are good mortors if taken care of. Issues, Headbolts/head gaskets, Oil cooler, EGR cooler, high mileage turbo bearing issues. Motor was designed for the Automatic trans and produces max torque around 1800 rpm. This engine get better fuel mileage than the 7.3 both being stock. 6.0 that have been modded with power adders, make sure the head studs have been replaced with upgraded units along with the head gaskets. Main issue EGR cooler leaks causing hydralic lock in the engine ( Broken Bits)

Normal maintenance is 5K oil changes

6.4 Engnine, Better power and worst fuel economy. Twin turbo make tons of power quickly but eats a bunch of fuel doing so. 6.4 engines need to follow maintenace schedule if not a multitude of problems will result. Electronic gremlins of various kinds

7.3/6.0/6.4Things ofter not done, Fuel filters, the primary fuel filter is on the frame rail and to change is a not so fun job. ofter you will get a Diesel Bath. Work truck are run hard and put up wet, if run hard and not allowed to cool down, turbo bearing suffer and tend to wear out sooner.
High pewrformance Air filters....Bad news, these do not filter as well as the stock Donldson units and end result is dirt and oil in the intake.
Oil changes, all three engines run engine oil in the fuel injectors dirty oil leads to injector issues/problems and also poor fuel economy.

The cheapest Ford Diesel to buy is a 6.9L IDI engine Mechanical fuel injection strong as a ox simple to work on. Down side is it is loud.

I have owned several of all the above types, my hands down favorit is the 7.3 Power Stroke engine. Not as much horse power as later engines but will last longer if properly taken care of.

My 6.9 went 540,000 miles before rebuild.
1t 7.3 420,000
2nd 7.3 500,000
6.0 125,000 oil cooler/egr issues
6.0#2 100,000 head gasket, turbo, oil cooler
6.0#3 EGR hydrolocked engine broker connecting rods, and bent crank.
6.4 55,000miles with some mods ( deletes) so far so good.

All above were maintained according to Ford severe service schedule and run like trucks not hot rods. Nothing over 10K# in tow.

PS try to get a ford Oasis report of the vehicle you are looking at.

Hope this helps in you search.

/ Diesel 101 for a newbie #30  
Like everyone else has suggested........ the 7.3 would be what you want. I have one in my 97 F-350 and it's been very reliable. I haven't owned a 6.0 myself, but everyone....... and I mean EVERYONE I know that owns one has done head gaskets or other expensive repairs.

As a side note, you are brave to want to own anything with dual wheels in Ct. ....... even if it is for personal use.
The only thing I can add is I own a 6.0 from new and it has been across the USA a number of times towing a 35' Holiday Rambler with slides. Towed across the Rockies, down to New Orleans, through Southern CA., get my diff do ya? Never had head gaskets fail, did have turbo failure @ 16,000 miles Ford repaired that for free under warranty. I can't complain, maybe I've been lucky but I do take care and do all the maintenance at or before it's due.
DevilDog