Diesel additive, is it a must?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Diesel additive, is it a must? #51  
Good point I guess I would certainly consider wisconsin a "northern" state for purposes of my post. Your truck stops don't use a winter blend????????? It may not be kerosene but I'd find it odd that they use the same blend in the winter that they do in summer. You get pretty cold up there don't you???

We use winter blend but it doesn't have any K1, D1 or gasoline:rolleyes: in it. It's just treated D2(and a few percent Bio).

We get a winter blend here in Norther Indiana. Maybe they run winter blend all the time up there in WI???:D:D:D They only have 2 seasons, Winter and August.;)

Chris

Winter and Road Construction. ;)

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #52  
Anywhere in the northern states they use a winter mix (think it has more kersosene in it which doesn't gel like diesel). Truck stops are best source as they turn over the diesel a lot quicker than the corner store. Usually this is only a problem in oct/nov if you get a load before they switch over. Mid winter they all run the winter blend so you don't need an additive. I have a diesel pu that I don't add anything to but
I DO use additive in my tractor because I use my home heating oil in that and I'm not sure if THAT's a winter blend.
(I've seen many a long haul trucker that filled up down south and gelled up when he hit our area. Good business for the service trucks who have to come and thaw them out!)
It's all the same stuff.

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #54  
I also wonder this, if anyone knows. Burning heating oil in one's very late model tractor with Ultra Low requirement and warnings against higher sulphur content. Is this alright? What is the sulphur level of heating oil, if anyone knows. Could one difference, amongst possible others, between heating oil and #2 be sulphur?

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #55  
Not necessarily.

When we get heating fuel for the tank in the basement it is not treated.

I agree and thought everyone knows that? :D:D

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #56  
I also wonder this, if anyone knows. Burning heating oil in one's very late model tractor with Ultra Low requirement and warnings against higher sulphur content. Is this alright? What is the sulphur level of heating oil, if anyone knows. Could one difference, amongst possible others, between heating oil and #2 be sulphur?

bp, for the most part heating oil is ULSD.

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #57  
I add Power service and biocide every time I fill my 300 gallon tank. For the little extra cost, why not?

My fuel supplier said their fuel is treated for winter but Sometimes I fill my tank in summer. I keep it a year. I have been doing this for 35 years with no troubles. I'm on my second diesel tank. The first one lasted 31 years.

He warned me that a lot of their bio customers have waxing problems in winter. I buy the non bio stuff.

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #58  
   / Diesel additive, is it a must? #59  
(Everyone - 1) knows it and -1 keeps saying they're the same.:rolleyes:

I hate to agree with him but in my area it is the same. The reason is, and I asked the 2 suppliers and got the same answer, is they sell aprox 50,000 gallons of #2 diesel off road a day. They sell about 500 gallons of home heating oil a week.

No one has home heating oil furnaces here. Out of all the friends and family members I know, maybe 100 homes, I only know of 2 that use home heating oil and both are farmers. They both have the furnaces plumbed off their bulk outdoor tanks and run #2 Off Road Diesel and simply right off the fuel as farm use.

Chris

/ Diesel additive, is it a must? #60  
(Everyone - 1) knows it and -1 keeps saying they're the same.:rolleyes:

I hate to agree with him but in my area it is the same. The reason is, and I asked the 2 suppliers and got the same answer, is they sell aprox 50,000 gallons of #2 diesel off road a week. They sell about 500 gallons of home heating oil a week. When someone orders Home Heating Oil they just fill them with #2 Off Road.

No one has home heating oil furnaces here. Out of all the friends and family members I know, maybe 100 homes, I only know of 2 that use home heating oil and both are farmers. They both have the furnaces plumbed off their bulk outdoor tanks and run #2 Off Road Diesel and simply right off the fuel as farm use.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.