Diesel Fuel Caddy

/ Diesel Fuel Caddy #1  

BravoXray

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230, John Deere 430 Diesel
I hate using 5 or 6 gallon diesle fuel containers to fuel my JD and Kubota tractors, so I've been looking for a 15 or 20 gallons barrel to make a portable fuel caddy. I mentioned it to a friend, and he gave me a plastic 15 gallon barrel that he had no use for. I rinsed it put with water, then with some gas, and then finally with some diesel fuel. I had bought a small submersible pump a couple of years ago when I first came up with the idea, and bought a couple of new plastic bungs with the proper buttress thread to fit the barrel openings. With a bunch of other parts I had on hand, I assembled all the necessary fittings including a quick coupler so I could remove the hose and nozzle when putting it in the truck to fill it up.
I was trying to decide on how to power it, when I remembered that they make adapters to attach to various power tool batteries to power other items, so I found one on Amazon for one of my 12 volt Dewalt batteries. I wired it up to the pump switch and added a Weather Pack connector so I could remove also, it when refilling the barrel.
I also added an inline filter for good measure.
I also made up a carrier out of a piece of 1 1/2" X 1/4" bar stock bent into an octagon and casters I had on hand, then gave it a coat of Kubota orange paint.
I got it all together and filled it up at the Co-Op Saturday, used the BX to lift it out of the truck onto the carrier. I plugged the battery into it and gave it a try, to top off the tank on the BX, and it works fine, just not really fast. It probably only pumps a gallon or two a minute, but that's fine, still beats wrestling 5 or 6 gallon cans.
Another one of my many little projects finally built and working.
IMG_20240602_163340181.jpg
IMG_20240605_141022578.jpg
IMG_20240607_155433806.jpg

/ Diesel Fuel Caddy #2  
Very nice work! Lots of interesting methods.
I don't know of any higher flow inline type filters, but I suspect that is the choke point in your setup, but if you're satisfied with the flow...

/ Diesel Fuel Caddy #3  
Cool setup!! 😎

Got a link to the pump you used?

Do you have a drain in case you need drain water from the barrel?

/ Diesel Fuel Caddy #4  
Nice, well thought out project!

I did something similar with parts I had laying around. I put an old 26 gal poly ag tank on a cart and rigged a hand pump:

P1060336.JPG

I rolled it up a ramp or used the FEL forks to put it on a trailer to fill.

As my tractors got bigger and the fuel demand increased, I installed a pump to transfer heating oil from my 1000 gal storage tank.

P1090396b.jpg

/ Diesel Fuel Caddy
Cool setup!! 😎

Got a link to the pump you used?

Do you have a drain in case you need drain water from the barrel?
Thanks!

Link to the pump: 12 Volt Submersible Pump
There a bunch of identical pumps listed: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=12+volt+...ble+fuel+,automotive,156&ref=nb_sb_ss_fb_4_25

I don't have a drain on it, as I was concerned with where to put it, and it possibly leaking. The pump hangs about an inch off the bottom of the barrel, so it would take a lot of water to get into the pump. Once it's empty, I can check it visually for any water, but that really shouldn't be a problem as it's stored inside and I get my fuel from the local Co-Op that has filters on their pumps.

/ Diesel Fuel Caddy
Very nice work! Lots of interesting methods.
I don't know of any higher flow inline type filters, but I suspect that is the choke point in your setup, but if you're satisfied with the flow...
Thanks!

I'm thinking of putting an R12T type filter on it that has a transparent water trap on the bottom, and has 3/8" NPT ports. It should be less restrictive to flow than the inline filter.
R12T Filter Assembly

/ Diesel Fuel Caddy #7  
Thanks!

I'm thinking of putting an R12T type filter on it that has a transparent water trap on the bottom, and has 3/8" NPT ports. It should be less restrictive to flow than the inline filter.
R12T Filter Assembly

I have a slightly larger Racor 200 series on my zero turn and tractor. The R12T is rated at 30 GPH, which is a bit on the slow side for fueling equipment. If you can live with 1/2 gpm, they are great filters.