Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #61  
Re: Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans

Actually the driver here did comment that they are only supposed to put it into metal tanks but that mine looked pretty solid and besides it has a heavy metal wire frame around it.

Prior to setting that up last summer, I was using a 55 gallon blue plastic barrel but it was a hassle since I had to haul it myself to get it filled and it didn't last very long. *They won't deliver less than 150 gallons here.

Ken
* same here but they will top of my drum when in my area making other deliveries.

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #62  

Post #60 reminds me of those campaign ads where the candidate is personally speaking and he says, "I'm Joe Bob Politician and I approved this message."

Well, I didn't see anybody holding a gun to his head and forcing him to say that stuff.

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #63  

Post #60 reminds me of those campaign ads where the candidate is personally speaking and he says, "I'm Joe Bob Politician and I approved this message."

Well, I didn't see anybody holding a gun to his head and forcing him to say that stuff.

The campaign finance regulations require the politicians to say those exact words. That's why they are at the end of every ad.

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #64  

Diesel= yellow
Gasoline=red
kerosene=blue
Also if this is the case is bio-diesel suppose to be dispensed in a green can? (kidding)

I have been using a red plastic container for diesel fuel years before yellow cans were even on the market. this is probably some unfunded federal mandate that is policed by the states.

But the real fact is do not put Diesel fuel in a zinc coated steel can. The zinc will be removed by the diesel and coat the pump and injectors and plug them.
The same goes with brass do not use containers with brass parts the same thing will happen.

I use a 2 and 5 gallon zinc coated inside red metal safety can for gasoline, a 5 gallon red plastic for diesel, and 1 gallon for 2 cycle mix. Tony D.

DO NOT USE DIESEL IN ZINC COATED CONTAINERS!
Well I guess all those gallons of fuel I've burned damaged the Detriots and Cats and Cummins I've run. Plain old fact is, we used 10,000 gallons or more a week for years and I dare anyone to show that the zinc from the brass fittings or steel lines ever did any damage. What causes the problem is if you don't keep the water out of your tanks, then you have problem of the bacteria producing acids that attack the zinc and brass. Diesel fuel itself does not.

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #65  

I always get a chuckle at the gas stations where a sign is posted that you may only use "approved containers" yet I've never seen a list of what is "approved", or who must do the approval. Nor to the containers sold in the stores generally say that they are approved. :confused: Ken

These were put on sale in NH a few years ago without the Fire Marshall's approval -now they're banned. ItzaGasCan Collapsible One-Time Use Gas Can

I think they just didn't ask first & the container indended for a single use but there's no mechanism to prevent reuse. Section 153:16-a Sale of Plastic Containers Prohibited. MikeD74T

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #66  

That regulation says stores can't sell certain cans. There's no law that says the consumer can't use any container they choose to.

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #67  

I put diesel in blue and gas in yellow. What is gonna happen? End of the world!! Unless you are in NJ, do what you want...No one will do anything..

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #68  

I have about 5 pieces of diesel eqpt and only two gas powered units. Most all of my 5 gal plastic cans I have are red, which blew out of the back of some ones truck and I found along the road. I have about 9 of them and only have 1 yellow can. Accidently, I grabbed a red one with gas in it one day when fueling my diesel. I smelled it right away. Drained all the fuel out. Got all my red gas cans that I wanted to use for diesel and ther next time I was painting some of my equipt yellow, just sprayed my cans too. Now I have plenty of yellow cans and no confusion when in a hurry.

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #69  

All sounds like good ideas, there are a lot of older tanks here for sale too but I was wondering about any rust or crap in an old barrel even if it was used for fuel at one time or another.
Should one be concerned about it?

Robert

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #70  

100_2582.jpg

1*I get my off road delivered into one of these white drums.
The supplier never said a word about the color of the drums nor the set up.

I feel obligated to comment on your photo. I am a member of our volunteer fire department and an instructor for fire fighter training here. Plain white drums scare the heck out of me, and not because of the color. If we show up at your place and don't know theres a bunch of diesel in that shed a small fire can turn into a real big one without warning and hurt someone. Or if some red liquid is leaking out of an unlabeled drum we back off, call the hazmat team, and four hours later find out it is just diesel. I can't tell if you have some kind of label somewhere, but if not, do your fire department folks a favor and put a diesel sign on the outside of the shed. Maybe there is one thats not in the picture, but the thought might help someone else make their storage a bit safer.