Diesel fuel storage options

/ Diesel fuel storage options #1  

Rich_Z

Silver Member
Tractor
TYM T474HC
So I ordered my new tractor, now I have to think about some operational details.

High on the list is how to store around 20 or so gallons of diesel fuel, and then be able to easily fill up the fuel tank on the TYM T474 when it runs low. I sure as heck don't want to be lifting and holding 5 gallon containers to fill up that 9 gallon fuel tank on the back of the tractor. And I want to have enough fuel here such that I don't have to run all that often to get more when I get involved in doing some work with the tractor.

So what sort of solutions have others come up with for this dilemma?

And speaking of which, I have seen people drop mention that it is a bad idea to run a diesel motor completely out of fuel. But no one has said why. Any enlightenment available?

/ Diesel fuel storage options #2  
Running a diesel out of fuel is a time consuming repair as the pump, lines all need to be bled. Not sure about what else on a newer tractor with emissions.

Fuel storage is pretty simple issue. Find the size tank you'd want and set it up as a gravity fueling. Use the loader to place on rack to store it. My little Iseki 15hp picks up a 50 gal L tank when full. Just make sure you're on level ground!

/ Diesel fuel storage options #3  
Just buy one of those flashlight-like diesel/gasoline/kerosene pumps. They run off of 2 D batteries. Set the fuel can near it and use that to pump it in. Easy.

I've seen them at Rural King but always available online. If you're only going to store 20 gallons, you might as well just use one of these and a few 5 gallon cans.

You can also do the same thing with the old fashioned siphon pumps that you see near the kerosene heaters and kerosene cans. (Clear plastic parts with a red or blue "pump" bulb on top.) Better than just a siphon hose since you don't have to suck on it to get it flowing.

/ Diesel fuel storage options #4  
On most older Diesel engine fuel systems you need wrenches to bleed out air if you run out of fuel, but they are not all like that, so it depends on the design.

New ones who knows - read the manual!

Type of fuel storage depends how much fuel you will use in a year?

I use little over 50 gallons a year on mowing, wood chipping etc. and bought several used 55 gallon plastic drums and a 100 gallon steel tank over 20 years ago, the intention being buying off road Diesel fuel when the price is low and storing it in my barn.

I am currently using fuel I bought for $1.56 / gallon, and have enough for several more years.

!2V drum pumps like this are little pricey, but well worth it in the long run.

IMG_5874.JPG

GPI (Great Plains Industries Inc.), and other brand 12V drum pumps can be found used on the eBay etc.

This is identical older but unused pump I bought for $200 last fall just to have an extra pump:

New 12V_Sept 10, 2022.png

Last edited:
   / Diesel fuel storage options #5  
HF's battery pump works pretty well and can be had on sale for about $8-9 if you don't like the regular price of $12.99. I just set my 5 gallon tank on a stepstool to be able to reach my tractor's fuel tank. Battery-Operated Liquid Transfer Pump

These style diesel fuel containers are also pretty decent if you can shop around for one at a price you're willing to pay. Amazon.com

Also, I recommend a filter funnel unless there's a built in fuel screen on your tractor's fuel tank. Amazon.com

/ Diesel fuel storage options #6  
As already mentioned, running a diesel out of fuel is a royal pain. Some tractors bleed easier than others, but it's certainly best to avoid unnecessarily needing to bleed the system.
I use around 400 gallons per year, so I invested in a truck mounted transfer tank, commerical electric pump, and dual filters. I also keep 55 gallons in a steel barrel in my shed with a hand pump and filter. When diesel went crazy expensive last year I used that reserve up and in the process cycled the fuel.

I will add that proper fuel storage and filtering are important with handling diesel fuel. I currently use a 10 micron water blocking filter followed by a 2 micron particulate filter on my transfer tank.

/ Diesel fuel storage options #7  
A lot of new tractors are self bleeding, just turn the key a couple times without starting and you’re good to go. Still not a good idea to run them dry.

/ Diesel fuel storage options #8  
Best case scenario running out of fuel means some extra cranking time. More likely you need a wrench & 5 minutes to an hour to bleed air out of the lines.

Generally you need to open a bleed screw near the low pressure lift pump. Then crank it over or let the electric pump run.

On mechanical injection if any air makes it to the injector pump you need to crack the nuts on all the injectors & bleed them while cranking as well.

Look up "bleeding injectors diesel" on YouTube for your machine. Or just in general & there will be a bajillion hits.

/ Diesel fuel storage options #9  
If you can justify the expense set up a tank or barrel with a 12 pump and auto shutoff nozzle. I was using a 55gal barrel but now use a 100 gal portable tank. Easier to transport than a tall skinny barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_3085.jpg
    IMG_3085.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3255.JPG
    IMG_3255.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 94
   / Diesel fuel storage options
How long can diesel fuel be stored in the typical plastic 5 gallon containers before it goes bad? I honestly don't think I will be using all that much in a years time, so I am thinking maybe just get 4 of those 5 gallon tanks, a decent electric fuel pump with long enough hose, and just rotate through those 4 containers as needed. I don't want anything that would become a permanent fixture right now.

Those containers at Harbor Freight seem to be reasonably priced.