Diesel Fuel Transfer Tank

/ Diesel Fuel Transfer Tank #1  

RookieWelder

Tractor
Kioti DK5310SE Cab HST
So, I just picked up a 100-gallon Better Built transfer tank and a 12-volt pump at Northern Tool today. I'm going to do what I've seen other folks do, and mount the tank on a pallet so I can lift it in and out of the truck with the pallet forks on my tractor. I finished getting the pump all plumbed into the tank this afternoon and I'll attach the tank to a pallet tomorrow.

It just struck me - with this being a new tank, I have no idea if it is leak-free or not. I hope it is; but hope isn't a plan, and I don't want to find out the hard way that it leaks and end up losing 100 gallons of diesel fuel. The cost and the unbelievable clean-up hassle is more than I want to deal with if I can avoid it.

My first thought was to fill the tank with water to check for leaks. But, assuming it passes, I'll have a brand-new fuel tank that has been filled with water. Getting all of the water out before filling it the first time would be a PIA, and my objective is to try to keep water out of my diesel fuel in the first place.

My next thought was to put 10 gallons of fuel in it from Jerry cans that I have on hand and check for leaks that way. If it is leaking, I can pump the 10 gallons out of the tank back into the Jerry cans.

Does anyone have any thoughts about any reasonable means of testing the tank, or am I over-thinking this and worrying needlessly?

Thanks,

Dwight

/ Diesel Fuel Transfer Tank #2  
So, I just picked up a 100-gallon Better Built transfer tank and a 12-volt pump at Northern Tool today. I'm going to do what I've seen other folks do, and mount the tank on a pallet so I can lift it in and out of the truck with the pallet forks on my tractor. I finished getting the pump all plumbed into the tank this afternoon and I'll attach the tank to a pallet tomorrow.

It just struck me - with this being a new tank, I have no idea if it is leak-free or not. I hope it is; but hope isn't a plan, and I don't want to find out the hard way that it leaks and end up losing 100 gallons of diesel fuel. The cost and the unbelievable clean-up hassle is more than I want to deal with if I can avoid it.

My first thought was to fill the tank with water to check for leaks. But, assuming it passes, I'll have a brand-new fuel tank that has been filled with water. Getting all of the water out before filling it the first time would be a PIA, and my objective is to try to keep water out of my diesel fuel in the first place.

My next thought was to put 10 gallons of fuel in it from Jerry cans that I have on hand and check for leaks that way. If it is leaking, I can pump the 10 gallons out of the tank back into the Jerry cans.

Does anyone have any thoughts about any reasonable means of testing the tank, or am I over-thinking this and worrying needlessly?

Thanks,

Dwight

Ye have little faith.
Just fill it, they’re factory tested. It’ll hold.

Last edited:
   / Diesel Fuel Transfer Tank #4  
Like LB said above, couple pounds of air or put a gallon or so of diesel in and slosh it around if you're able to do that. If there's any holes, it'll weep out. Worst thing is tho, if the tank is painted, it'll have any pinholes filled................M

/ Diesel Fuel Transfer Tank #5  
Like LB said above, couple pounds of air or put a gallon or so of diesel in and slosh it around if you're able to do that. If there's any holes, it'll weep out. Worst thing is tho, if the tank is painted, it'll have any pinholes filled................M
Be sure it's only a couple pounds of air, they're not designed to take a lot of pressure.

Water weighs ~8# / gallon, diesel weighs ~7# / gallon. Each foot of vertical depth of water is .43 psi, so there's very little pressure the tank has to with stand.

/ Diesel Fuel Transfer Tank #6  
Good luck with all that. Just fill the tank up. That thing is probably not gonna hold any air pressure.

/ Diesel Fuel Transfer Tank #7  
just pressure test it with air
This could be a bad idea. When the drum is full the only "pressure" in it would be at the base and that would only be 2# PSI at the most of the fuel. Any more than that could potentially destroy the drum.
To calculate the pressure of WATER due to head take the feet of height of the water and divide by 2.304. That will give you the PSI pressure in the drum at the base due to head.

/ Diesel Fuel Transfer Tank #8  
Confirm a few facts -
1. Brand new tank
2. Openings you can easily seal
3. You've got pretty decent hearing
If yes to all three - I'd just blow into it real hard. Maybe tape off one of the fill holes with a tube sticking out you could blow into. If there are leaks you should be able to hear them or notice the decline in pressure.
Make sure to compensate for any caps designed to "breathe".

/ Diesel Fuel Transfer Tank
Thanks to all for sharing their thoughts!

I ended up putting 5 gallons of fuel in the tank and tipping it to and fro with the pallet forks on my tractor. There was no leaking observed, so I put it back in the bed of my truck and went to the filling station. I decided to put 50 gallons in, since that should be about what I'll use between now and the fall. I'll get more fuel if I run out or when they switch over to putting winter additives in the diesel.

Thanks once again to everyone who took the time to write up a response to me. It is much appreciated.

Dwight

/ Diesel Fuel Transfer Tank
I'm not gonna lie - it hurt pretty bad. I found a place close to my farm that has diesel at $5.37. The pumps were set to shut down automatically at $125. I did it twice (yikes!).