Diesel heater on Toolcat

/ Diesel heater on Toolcat #1  

laurencen

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat 5600T Kioti CK20, Cat D2 dozer, Cat 420 tractor loader, Deer 644E loader, Bobcat E32 mini and Bobcat 590 skidsteer, Toro Groundsmaster 325D
looking for someone who has mounted a Webasto evo coolant heater on a Toolcat, with temperatures of -25C the block heater barely does anything, this heater heats the coolant this would be a game changer as the Toolcat could be in a remote area and still start and run

/ Diesel heater on Toolcat
this is the unit I am looking at
USA_coolant_water_Webasto_Thermo_Top_C___14648.1497813821.jpg

/ Diesel heater on Toolcat #3  
Hmmm....a diesel fired coolant heater. Interesting.

/ Diesel heater on Toolcat #4  
Interesting..... FYI, the OE block heater on my '09 Model D is a 400 watt freeze plug unit. Seems to me you if you have access, you could add more freeze plug units.

/ Diesel heater on Toolcat #5  
The newer Toolcats with the Doosan engine use a dry-pocket type heater.

/ Diesel heater on Toolcat #6  
I couldn't find much info on it but it runs on 12v but the fuel source for heating is diesel fuel. I would worry that the battery gets run down too far to start because of the heater. I would rather get a 120v tank unit in the heater hose and make sure i'm close to an outlet.

/ Diesel heater on Toolcat #7  
The newer Toolcats with the Doosan engine use a dry-pocket type heater.
I got one of those on my 4.0L Toyota on the back of one cylinder head and it's a meager 400 watts as well. It hardly does anything when it's really frigid outside.

I had two - 800 watt block heaters in the middle of the heads of a 85 Ford V-8. 2 hours of those being on and you could see it on the temp gauge needle when you turned the key on. Instant heat and instant start no matter how cold it was.

/ Diesel heater on Toolcat #8  
this is the unit I am looking atView attachment 727807

Those units were "available" in some markets on Audi Skoda vehicles.

Webasto also makes a fuel oil fired air heater that is used to heat the cabs on over the road trucks and small watercraft. The "overland" 4 wheeling pickup truck crowd has latched onto those for winter camping in tents and the like.

12 hour burn time on a gallon of fuel, and the vehicle battery is not seriously drawn down* (temperature dependent I would suppose)

The European units make use of SS internals, the chyna knock offs are alu. Service life to follow construction. You get what you pay for.

/ Diesel heater on Toolcat #9  
I know 90 minutes at 0 F didn't seem to heat it like it should.

A 400w heater ain't much fighting the cold AND wind.

Last edited:
   / Diesel heater on Toolcat #10  
Here is the OP's thread about last winters issues on starting when cold.

Toolcat block heater

I think if I was up there and had to deal with those frigid temps, I would have put the Bobcat synthetic 5w-40 in it.