Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks

/ Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks #71  
Diesel trucks are going to struggle in the snow because of the heavy engine up front. The nice thing is they have the torque to handle heavy loads put in the bed for traction. My Truck is a 1 ton dually 4x4. The dually rear end doubles the surface area and in theory should be horrible in snow. I loaded the bed with unseasoned Red Oak and it does great in the snow. If it is fresh deep snow I might need 4x4 but otherwise I drive around in 2 wheel drive.

Pertaining to the front tow hooks, they stink. I have an assortment of straps and d-rings in the truck in case myself or someone else needs help.
image.jpg
This isn't the load that is in my truck for traction but it shows the truck doesn't squat and can handle a good sized load for traction.

/ Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks #72  
Lets face it pickups are not real good on snow and slippery conditions until you put some weight in the bed. I have ran pickups, blazers, cj jeeps and jeep cherokees. The pickup is not the best choice for winter weather. It is a necessary evil for me right now so I put a little weight over the axle

Last edited:
   / Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks #73  
The only pickup that I owned that was any good in snow and mud was an old 1965 Chevy short box. i think the main reason it was goo is because of the 42 gallon step gas tank that I mounted in the box right behind the cab. It had Firestone directional snow tires on it and it would go through pretty much anything. Chained up it was way better and I could go through snow filled ditches.

/ Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks #74  
Diesel trucks are going to struggle in the snow because of the heavy engine up front.

Not sure I agree with that opinion. Especially in 4wd. The more weight, the better the traction in snow. Just like adding weight to the bed helps the rear tires bite, a heavier engine up front is going to help the fronts get a bite.

I stuck my chevy 1/2 ton several times in snow piles while plowing. Trying to go through a windrow that was just a tad too deep, or backdragging from a door in a tight area and having to drive over the pile. That truck weighed ~7000# in plow trim. My dodge 1-ton dually is all but unstoppable. this last wet heavy snow we just had, several of the guys I plow with were getting stuck in light half tons and 3/4 tons in the windrows, or just plain in the 11" of wet and heavy we got. I could easily go through 24" deep windrows. And I am not talking getting a run and going perpendicular. I am talking going length wise with the row if I wanted, stopping, and still being able to get going again. Weight is key. My dodge is ~12,000# in plow trim.

/ Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks
OK. I looked at my tires. Goodyear Wrangler Pro Grade! No snowflake to be seen! Guess I was the victim of just another sales A-Hole! Suppose I will just try and use them as regular tires when my summer ones wear out.

If I hadn't just gone out and spent $1500.oo on tires and a lift kit for my Mule, I would consider getting some REAL snbow tires for the GMC!

As it turns out, the tires for the mule, don't work worth a dam either and I figure, I just threw that money away. Money I don't really have to use in that way! I feel like such a looser!

/ Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks #76  
I second the winter tires...4 of the 5 trucks I've owned in the last 2 decades have been 2wd, and all got real snow tires and not all-seasons. The ones that haven't had a cap to help weigh down the back end I've been able to add winter traction by simply backing up to a snowbank and shovelling some in. Available darn near anywhere as long as you have a shovel in the cab. Best part is when warmer weather hits it unloads itself.

If you want something that will stay put a little longer, throw a few bags of sand or cat litter in the back. If you use the pockets stamped in the sides of the truck bed, you can usually use a piece of 2x6 or two to keep them from sliding forward.

One year my brother weighted down his truck with a 6' chunk of railroad rail, that worked pretty good too.

/ Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks #77  
If you want something that will stay put a little longer, throw a few bags of sand or cat litter in the back. If you use the pockets stamped in the sides of the truck bed, you can usually use a piece of 2x6 or two to keep them from sliding forward.

That is what I did to keep the bags of sand as far back aft of the rear axle as possible. This helps shift a bit of the front weight to the rear axle, of which pickups are woefully light in the rear end. It is amazing what a few hundred pounds of sand will do for traction. I made a 2x8 that slips in the factory slots for this purpose.

/ Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks #78  
Those tires aren't bad for the winter. I either have a set of those on my truck or something similar. Are they as good as a true snow tire? No, but you could do a lot worse. Did you ever think your expectations are too high? Maybe you are in the market for a snow mobile.

/ Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks
The OEM tires are pure crap. The slightest grade, a little wet grass and I am not going anywhere without putting the thing into 4WD. Then I have to remember to take it out because those retards didn't think it was important enought to put some warning light on the dash. Just a small LED pin prick on the electic knob that is totally out of view to the driver!

I guess we just never had any real winter for a while. Hel , last year I never even put my snows on! Maybe I am expecting too much, but I am tired of so many people bragging about how their 4x4s go anywhere.

I remember a friend telling me when I bought my first new vehicle. A 1994 4x4 Dakota 6 cyl. He said, you use a 4wd thusly: You drive into a place in 2wd and if you get suck, you put it in 4wd and back out!

Maybe he was right!

/ Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks #80  
OK. I looked at my tires. Goodyear Wrangler Pro Grade! No snowflake to be seen! Guess I was the victim of just another sales A-Hole! Suppose I will just try and use them as regular tires when my summer ones wear out.

If I hadn't just gone out and spent $1500.oo on tires and a lift kit for my Mule, I would consider getting some REAL snbow tires for the GMC!

As it turns out, the tires for the mule, don't work worth a dam either and I figure, I just threw that money away. Money I don't really have to use in that way! I feel like such a looser!

You just got scammed. Yer n o t a loser. Everybody gets scammed if they are not careful. Many years ago I tried to buy snow tires for my Buick Riviera. That spring I had bought all season radials for it. The same salesman that sold me the first set gave me an argument when I tried to buy the snows. His boss sold me the snows. The salesman doesn't work there anymore.