Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks

/ Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks #81  
The OEM tires are pure crap. The slightest grade, a little wet grass and I am not going anywhere without putting the thing into 4WD. Then I have to remember to take it out because those retards didn't think it was important enought to put some warning light on the dash. Just a small LED pin prick on the electic knob that is totally out of view to the driver!

I guess we just never had any real winter for a while. Hel , last year I never even put my snows on! Maybe I am expecting too much, but I am tired of so many people bragging about how their 4x4s go anywhere.

I remember a friend telling me when I bought my first new vehicle. A 1994 4x4 Dakota 6 cyl. He said, you use a 4wd thusly: You drive into a place in 2wd and if you get suck, you put it in 4wd and back out!

Maybe he was right!
I only use 4 wheel drive when I need it. Never on dry/wet pavement. If the road is snow covered and a little slick, into 4wd it goes and drive on. I can shift on the fly into 4wd.

/ Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks #82  
I will share some personal experience, mostly from my job. I am a land surveyor and either me or my co-workers have been stuck numerous times. We have had 4 wheel drive trucks, but as a rule they have been 2 wheel drive. I once had to pull the surveyor crew off and icy road. It was snowy and the snow had packed down to where it was icy. It was a fairly narrow road and they just barely pulled off, not even in the ditch. It was flat ground and the thing wouldn't move. If it was 4 wheel drive, it would have driven away with no problems. All the company trucks I've pulled out were 2 wheel drive.

My current truck I got it stuck in the mud once, and it was very stuck, it took a back hoe to pull it out. Like you say, mud and a heavy truck don't work well.

One of the best 4x4 vehicles we had was a Bronco II. It had crap street tires that were mostly wore out, but it was light, turned tight, and would walk out of places that left you shaking your head.

I'll just say my current truck, a 2004 Dodge 3/4 ton with a Cummins does as well as anything in the snow I've driven, but I'm afraid to go near the mud again.

The advice to drive a 4x4 like a 2 wheel drive isn't that bad of advice except to have the thing in 4 wheel drive already, and if you see a place that is doubtfull, you will probably get stuck.

I've been stuck to many times to think any vehicle is invincible. I've seen a D8 dozer stuck once, but that's another story.

/ Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks #83  
I got stuck in the yard with my 2500 Duramax not a problem got my new strap out and tried to hook it up to the front hook ended up having to get a small chain in the hook, it would be very difficult to get a clevis in there.
I have Michelin tires, if it stays cold it does good in the snow however without any weight in the back end you have to be very carful not to spin the wheels.
Ron

/ Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks #84  
Maybe a Duramax is totally different. I didn't read every post and maybe you have a "dooley" I think they get stuck on wet grass.

Anyway my experience with Silverado Z71 4x4 with Michelin LTX tires - in winter I just drive it around almost like normal with case in AUTO. Never been stuck in my driveway or anywhere else yet . Yes in winter have to be more careful with braking. maybe a few bags of salt or sand in the back for weight would help.

/ Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks
At least you HAVE brakes. Aor all intents and purposes, with my POS anti lock brakes, I have no brakes on ice and packed snow when it comes to this vehicle and I just drive accordingly. I PLAY with it sometimes on dicy roads and am always amzed what a POS it is! I really should just pull that fuse for the ABS and be done with it, I just don't want to see the light on all the time or yet another message on my DIC!

I do think that the Diesel weighs the thing down. But I guess it has been determined that my tires although like new, just arn't a heavy enough lug tire. although the tire dealer told me they were good for snow. And at least they are pretty quiet on pavement, just a little louder then my OEM tires.

As far as adding weight. Do you people have any idea how happy engineers at the auto makers are when they can save a single once somewhere? Adding weignt just seems like such sacralidge. (sp?)

I just observed something this weekend. There is a plowed but snow covered approach to my house. I witnessed a friend of mine in her 2WD Kia Soul, drive up that incline like nothing. In 2WD that would be impossible for me, and in 4WD would take some planning and a little speed. PATHETIC!

/ Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks #86  
If you pull the fuse for the ABS, then put a piece of black tape over the light.

/ Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks #87  
As far as adding weight. Do you people have any idea how happy engineers at the auto makers are when they can save a single once somewhere? Adding weignt just seems like such sacralidge. (sp?)
What is the actual front vs rear axle weights as it sits? For wintertime, I like to see 50/50 or at least 40% rear for a RWD vehicle. Less than that and our truck is skittish in the snow.
My '97 Volvo V90 (RWD) has ~50/50 weight distribution and studded snows on all 4 corners, weighs ~4000# and its unstoppable as long as it isn't "high centering" on the snow.
My wife has a '02 Caravan (FWD) with snow tires on all for corners and its also almost unstoppable as long as the tires can reach something.

I just observed something this weekend. There is a plowed but snow covered approach to my house. I witnessed a friend of mine in her 2WD Kia Soul, drive up that incline like nothing. In 2WD that would be impossible for me, and in 4WD would take some planning and a little speed. PATHETIC!
Its weight distribution (probably 50-60% on the drive wheels) and overall weight (under 3000# vs 7500#+). Comparing the Caravan or my V90 to the truck ('97 Dodge 1500 4x4) is the same unless there is 500# in the bed of the truck.

Aaron Z

/ Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks #88  
If you pull the fuse for the ABS, then put a piece of black tape over the light.

Too many vehicles, when the ABS quits,the 4x4 no longer works

Chris

Last edited:
   / Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks #89  
Winter, snow, ice and no traction? Maybe the tires are not made for those conditions?

Tests usually indicate ABS WILL GET YOU STOPPED a little quicker than ones own fantastic braking abilities!

/ Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks #90  
IMO, abs is the best thing since sliced bread for snow and ice. Stops quicker, and keeps you under control instead of spinning.

Now if you expect ABS to work miracles and stop as if you were on dry pavement, you are mistaken. Stopping on snow or ice takes a long distance no matter how you go about it. But for winter driving, I like ABS almost as much as I like 4wd.

And ADD WEIGHT TO THE TRUCK.

I dont know what you have against it. But it is the ONLY way I think you will be happy given you feel it is such a POS.