Buying Advice Diesel smog emission stuff?

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #141  
Reading MHarryE's post makes me not want to own any emissions tractor even though I just bought an MX5200.
The trick to keeping old machines productive is to buy ones that are worn but not abused, and to expect to own several. If you like old tractors and need to get work done, plan on owning several of the same old model. Your investment in total will still be a fraction of new - but you do have to enjoy tinkering.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #142  
All I know is
My new tractor smells funny compared to the old tractor

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #143  
The DPF emissions gadgetry will fail and cause you to need to spend money to make it better or make it gone. Even if you operate the unit in accordance with recommendations - high rpm, hot, etc, - it will fail. Eventually. If you operate your unit as a UTILITY tractor, doing little chores here and there, that failure is likely happen sooner than later. If you operate your unit as a production tractor, working at close to rated max load for hours at a time, that failure may not happen as soon.

A turbocharger is not to be feared. DPF and catalytic converter WILL cause you $$$-hurt. Avoid if you can.

My utility tractor with DPF is going on 7 years without any problems. When is sooner coming for my failures? It's beginning to feel like later already.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #144  
My little JD has 27hp, and a DPF that goes in to regen every 20 to 40 engine hours. While in Regen, the first thing I notice is the smell (something smells hot!), then I look down & see the regen icon lighted up on the dash. I just keep working, but rev the engine up a bit more to provide more exhaust heat to help complete the regen quicker. The only time it is inconvenient is if the tractor is midway through a regen & I am ready to shut it down. If that happens it is best to leave it running till the regen is completed.

Now, my bitching... Our "friends" in the EPA require all Diesels to regen (or incinerate their soot). Here's what I fail to understand... If we are all supposed to reduce our carbon (carbon monoxide & carbon dioxide) emissions, then why the heck are engines required to turn captured carbon (soot) into carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide??? Wouldn't it be a thousand times smarter to actually sent that captures carbon (soot) to be cleaned & used for the many uses of carbon black??? Am I the only idiot that sees a huge problem here??

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #145  
I have not read ALL the reply’s.
But yes 10-15hp is a noticeable and welcomed advantage when you really need it.
Myself I looked at tym and kioti and Bobcat.
I ended up with 06 John Deere 4720 turbo 58hp.
And yes I mostly putter around as it’s gutsy enough to do most of what I need at just above idle.
I pull a 7’(84”) finish mower and 1200-1500 is plenty most times.
I also pull I forget if it’s 6’ or 7’ tiller and it also is effortless but I always plow and disc prior. Just how I do things.
When I do push the throttle it’s Very authoritative and instantly responsive. And that sure is nice.
I don’t think I could be happier.

Edit:
My tractor is pre-all the emissions that you have questions about. Thank god..

Closing comments:
Do your research, here, look at YouTube everybody has their own problems, be it self inflicted from lack of experience or just equipment failures.

Buy as big as you can afford. !!!
You can’t add it later. Unless you trade up.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
   / Diesel smog emission stuff? #146  
Reading MHarryE's post makes me not want to own any emissions tractor even though I just bought an MX5200.
A DEF system is definitely more complex than a DPF alone system. DEF systems only apply to 75HP and above.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #147  
mandates/regulations hurt most of us and are costly ....ordinary people accept them because choices are diminishing at a rapid rate......In the name of environmental stewardship but administered by "virtuous" bureaucrats. The by-product of reducing sulfur dioxide and particulates is C02......so you might get the irony here. Remember it's human C02 emissions that globalists have used to indoctrinate people into thinking they are responsible for climate change.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #148  
mandates/regulations hurt most of us and are costly ....ordinary people accept them because choices are diminishing at a rapid rate......In the name of environmental stewardship but administered by "virtuous" bureaucrats. The by-product of reducing sulfur dioxide and particulates is C02......so you might get the irony here. Remember it's human C02 emissions that globalists have used to indoctrinate people into thinking they are responsible for climate change.
I am not thinking of climate emissions. I just like my tier 4 tractor because I don’t get sinus headaches when operating it like I used to with my old pre-emissions machine.

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #149  
When I first started thinking about buying my first tractor, my thoughts were to limit my search to all tractors with less than 25 or 26 (number varies, it seems) horsepower in order to avoid buying a new tractor with government dictated smog emission controls to have to deal with. Some people claim that they can be a real pain. Others are saying they are no big deal. So, what is the TRUTH?

Are some brands better than others in this department? I have been focused on probably buying a Kioti brand tractor, particularly the CK20SE CAB series, in which it appears all the models are pretty much identical except for the amount of horsepower the engine will put out. I guess it is a matter mostly of tuning and air/fuel control of that diesel engine making the difference. So I can choose to buy the 24.5 horsepower version, or perhaps the two other models with higher engine ratings (34.9 and 39.6 hp respectively), but having the onerous smog emission complexities attached.

Is this a big deal, or not? Headache, or not? Is it really something I should allow to influence my decision about what to buy?

Of course, another perspective of looking at this is: Will the difference of just 10.4 and 15.1 horsepower even worth fretting over and just buy the 24.5 horsepower version and be done with it?
The 24 hp is the way to go.. once you start using it you just might wish you purchased more horse power

/ Diesel smog emission stuff? #150  
My wife bought a 2022 Kubota LX2610.
She likes it.
She wanted something she could use and I didn't have to work on.

I find it to big for the horsepower. And lighter duty for the size than I'm used to.

If your looking at an LX2610, definitely do not get the belly / mmm mower deck. We did because I have a hard time twisting to see behind me.
It's terrible to grease, remove and to reinstall.

For me, I'd rather have a pre emissions machine, either smaller and the same HP. Or the same size with more HP.

I've seen a few since we got this that would have worked.

From what I've seen most of the new compact tractors are built very well.

The LX2610 only has 18 HP at the pto. It won't run a tiller big enough to cover the tracks.

Everyone I know had had emissions issues and electrical problems with newer machines.

I'd just as soon have a pre emissions.