Oil & Fuel Diesel Storage

/ Diesel Storage #1  

mikester

Elite Member
Tractor
M59 TLB
Does anyone use old 55 gallon plastic oil barrels for diesel fuel storage?

/ Diesel Storage #2  
I've been using a 55 gal plastic drum with a hand pump for years, never an issue.

/ Diesel Storage #3  
Only issue with plastic is you need to avoid direct sunlight which will destroy white plastic quickly. Colored barrels will last longer but still need to keep them out of direct light in order to keep them flexible for longer time.
I keep my extra diesel in a gray plastic TOTE TANK which is just inside my boat shed which is dark unless I open the garage door. It has been in service for about 8 years now with still no issues. I just use it for excess storage, I keep my pump installed in my 100 gallon steel tank. I swap out the pump when the steel tank runs low and top it off.

Around here, TOTE TANKs are free from a local chemical user (they have a bit of left over polymer resin in them that has to be cleaned out-gasoline works great)

/ Diesel Storage #4  
Neighbor needed to empty his home heating oil, turned out to be about 40 gallons, I put it in a 55 gal. drum. Worked fine all the way around. My plan is, once diesel prices bottom out, I plan to refill it again.

/ Diesel Storage #5  
We used to as kids, as when the heating oil driver showed up, we just had him top off a 55 gallon drum. But now that minisplits are in vogue, and oil furnaces are being removed from homes, there are plenty of used 275 gallon oil tanks around. I got (3) unused ones now.

There is nothing wrong with using a 55 gallon drum, but as mentioned, used oil tanks might be around too.

/ Diesel Storage #6  
There’s a very financially challenged older gentleman I see all the time at the truck fuel stop and he has a IBC style big tote strapped into his old rusty pickup bed. I chat with him once in a while and he said it’s basically his “tanker truck” and he claims the totes work great.

/ Diesel Storage #7  
This is my setup in my garage.... tank2.jpgtank 1.jpg

/ Diesel Storage #8  
I do. I store it inside. Couple of years, no problems.fuelbarrel.jpg

/ Diesel Storage #9  
We used to as kids, as when the heating oil driver showed up, we just had him top off a 55 gallon drum. But now that minisplits are in vogue, and oil furnaces are being removed from homes, there are plenty of used 275 gallon oil tanks around. I got (3) unused ones now.

There is nothing wrong with using a 55 gallon drum, but as mentioned, used oil tanks might be around too.

I would love to get a heating oil tank for off road fuel.. I would need to keep it outside, and the oil company I use won't fill it unless its in a basement or somehow indoors. There is also some restriction for filling a tank that is not used for heating purposes on residential properties. ...So I'm stuck with my little 40 gallon transfer tank on my trailer.

___

/ Diesel Storage #10  
Been using a couple of metal 55 gallon drums for 3 years.