Digger Pine ideas

/ Digger Pine ideas
Ha - not in San Francisco! Sorry, just updated to N. California (halfway between SF and Tahoe).
Also updated to add the MX6000.

Appreciate all the thoughts and advise thus far - these were some of my concerns and trying to cut trees down to a manageable size to run through a chipper is not something I’m looking forward to.

left a couple trees downed, but in 4 years they still are pretty much intact and just a nuisance now with about a total of 7 fallen trees all over the property and atleast another 5 that need to come down.

The pine cones falling are a real nuisance (and danger)

There is no sense to which ones fall - ones that look healthy all of a sudden fall, and some dead / half dead ones hang on for years and every winter I have a few huge limbs fall, which is really getting dangerous

Burning is not really feasible being in a high fire risk area, the burn piles can only be 4ft x 6ft and the local fire department is called on any fire that appears larger than that.

trying to get them off the property is too expensive.

insurance doesn’t want any downed trees on the property (and they inspect annually)

getting a wood chipper seemed to be the only reasonable solution thus far, but it’s not going to be easy either.

I don’t know - my neighbor just had to cut 20 trees and he can’t figure out how to get rid of them either and ended up cutting them to 2 foot pieces and trucking them to a processing place that accepts them for free - so essentially you spend about $300-500 in labor, time and fuel to get rid of each tree.

/ Digger Pine ideas #12  
Safar, apears we might be in close proximity. I'm in apple hill. Digger pines, the bain of the tree world! I pile them and use them for bon fires. Not good for anything else. I have a woodmax 8h behind a m6060. The sap just gums up the blades and indeed rollers. I would NEVER burn that junk in a fire place or stove. Good way to burn your hobble down!

/ Digger Pine ideas #13  
Burning is not really feasible being in a high fire risk area, the burn piles can only be 4ft x 6ft and the local fire department is called on any fire that appears larger than that.

Right now here (Nevada County) we've had burning allowed recently, no permit required... so I'm not quite sure if we're limited to the permit's 4x4' limits. I've never stayed within those limits anyhow as I find such a small pile is hard to keep burning cleanly; as far as I can tell, my neighbors appreciate my efforts (ie, they've never complained one way or another... though I've never heard words of encouragement, either).

Not saying I burn huge piles mind you, just more like an eight foot circle.

@ericm979 I wonder if cutting the logs into say 6' lengths, and using one of those dangerous-looking cone splitters maybe on a phd (is this possible?) you could potentially make longer thinner splits out of a log that you could use in the chipper? I'd expect not in oak, but the ghost pine splits very readily.

/ Digger Pine ideas #14  
In Eldorado countyThere are 2 types of burn permits. The first is a 4x4 fire but, if you get the county permit, the limit is 300 feet from a neighboring property and 10'x10'.

/ Digger Pine ideas #15  
In our County, Lake, we can get a 'smoke management plan' and then burn pile sizes and burn hours are not so limited. We've burned many huge piles over several days. Plenty of material since forest fire killed it all. You can see a very small portion of it in my avatar. Unless you have a lot of other uses for a chipper, I would rent a chipper rather than gumming up my own.
Patrick

/ Digger Pine ideas #16  
Interesting that your ins co inspects. I had the State Farm agent out once in 25 years and he only looked at the house. Cal Fire's been out twice and all they did was glance around, say "looks ok" and give me a blue reflector for the hydrant. OTOH our county's air pollution rules make burning essentially impossible. I have some huge piles of stuff- poison oak and wood too large or nasty to chip. They're all far away from buildings.

It's interesting that the ins co cares about what's on the ground. Large diameter dead wood on the ground is the least dangerous from a fire perspective as it burns slow and on the ground. Standing dead can be a ladder into the crowns of live trees, and of course ladder fuels (brush and small trees under the big trees) do that too.

The cone type splitters scare the crap out of me. I'd try splitting logs with a maul or wedge first.

/ Digger Pine ideas
Thank you so much for all your replies - It's really helped sort out whether a chipper makes sense.

Safar, apears we might be in close proximity. I'm in apple hill. Digger pines, the bain of the tree world!
Ya, quite close. Near Cool - definitely not as cold as where you are! And way more pines up that way.

In Eldorado countyThere are 2 types of burn permits. The first is a 4x4 fire but, if you get the county permit, the limit is 300 feet from a neighboring property and 10'x10'.
I have the El Dorado county permit, we're now considered in a "High Risk Area" so all it takes is for a neighbor smelling smoke, and seeing a fire for the Fire Department to be called out.

Apart from that, to try and keep a burn pile small, means having to constantly watch it and ensure it's safe overnight. Anything more than smoldering at night is going to be an issue - so pretty much spending a whole weekend not getting anything else done but feeding the fire.
The idea of the wood chipper made sense as I would essentially be spending the same time looking after a fire or working on getting everything chipped up.

The sap just gums up the blades and indeed rollers.
I didn't think about that - thank you for the insight. These trees are a real pain.
I wonder if cutting them down, piling them for a year or so in a safe place would allow some of the sap to drain out.
I have 2 felled trees that have been sitting for 2 years. I might try taking a look.

Unless you have a lot of other uses for a chipper, I would rent a chipper rather than gumming up my own.
I think this probably is the best idea now - Might get everything ready and rent a commercial chipper for a weekend and try getting it all done.

Interesting that your ins co inspects.
Everybody in a 3 mile radius has had their insurance cancelled due to high risk, so we're dependent on the California Fair Plan and one other option. They even have people driving around and taking pictures from outside if there is too much leaf and branches fallen.

Really appreciate all the responses. Thank you

/ Digger Pine ideas #18  
The wife and I lived in Kelsey for several years when we first got started. Shopped in Georgetown. Spend days and days up the Rubicon. My wife was born in Placerville. We are also in the high fire area.

For fire permits, the regular permit from CalFire is an LA62A permit which allows fire up to 4 feet. If you go to a CalFire office, you can get a LE-5 permit where you state the maximum size of fire you intend to burn. You can also get the CA air resource permit which allows a fire up to 8 feet.

/ Digger Pine ideas #19  
Wow. I've never heard of a Digger Pine.... so the comments about the pine cones falling and breaking your bones was comical..... until I looked them up and saw that they really are HUGE.

Wow.

I had no idea.

/ Digger Pine ideas #20  
Wow. I've never heard of a Digger Pine.... so the comments about the pine cones falling and breaking your bones was comical..... until I looked them up and saw that they really are HUGE.

Wow.

I had no idea.
They're not just big.
They're also rock hard and almost as heavy.
And then there's the spikes that stick out about half an inch to an inch - if one hit your head and by some miracle it didn't cave your skull in, you'd have multiple trepanations to deal with still!