Diggng Sewer Pipe?

/ Diggng Sewer Pipe? #1  

Indian MC

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
I have an issue going on with my 10' long PVC sewer pipe exiting my foundation to my Septic Tank.
Question?
Can I set on top of the Septic tank to dig with my 2601/BH without worrying about compromising and busting the tank? It's the best option, though, I can get at the pipe from the side being extremely careful.
The Septic tank and exit pipe is a little over 3' below the ground surface, concrete, with the structure being about 4" thick.
The 2601 with FEL weighs in at about 2300lbs.
I can't find the weight of the BH in the BH manual.
So,,, I'm gonna guess that I'm a few hundred pounds over 3000 Lbs.
Thanks,

/ Diggng Sewer Pipe? #2  
Man, I would hate too. Ask the company who built the tank, will think they tell you no. If you must would use timbers to help spread the load. You will have vibrations in small areas being transmitted to the tank. If me I would stay off the tank totally. If I must would even use shovel to protect the tank.

/ Diggng Sewer Pipe? #3  
there is something you need to consider. we can drive over culverts just fine as the pipe is round and can distribute weight evenly all around the pipe. a septic tank has corners so the weight can only go to the corners so the breaking point is in the middle of the tank when you have your tractor tires/outriggers down at that point. not a good scenario . i know you want to dig a smooth trench, but if you can, i'd dig sideways and dig a hole to expose the line. with luck its not very deep and any damage you do can be repaired . hopefully there is no plants or anything in the way.
fyi -- i have broken through a 40-50 year old concrete tank with my bx just backing up and reposition for a client of mine. I ended up repairing it at my cost and its not something i want to repeat.

/ Diggng Sewer Pipe? #4  
Personally, I'd dig from the side. I assume you are going to replace the 10' sewer pipe. If so, why do you have to be extremely careful? Is there something else in the ground nearby?

/ Diggng Sewer Pipe? #5  
If the tank is 3ft deep I would not be concerned .Your outriggers and loader bucket will pretty much be on the edge of the tank anyway . Have at it .

/ Diggng Sewer Pipe? #6  
If the rank has been in the ground for a while with three feet of soil coverage I would put down several sheets of 3/4" plywood to drive on. In addition to the plywood, i'de add a couple 2x12s that are long enough to reach from pedestal to pedestal plus two feet or so to plant the pedestals on. With your FEL bucket positioned down on the plywood you should be good to go.
I would probably not max out the machine's capacity while digging, but you don't have that much material to move.
B. John

/ Diggng Sewer Pipe? #7  
If the rank has been in the ground for a while with three feet of soil coverage I would put down several sheets of 3/4" plywood to drive on. In addition to the plywood, i'de add a couple 2x12s that are long enough to reach from pedestal to pedestal plus two feet or so to plant the pedestals on. With your FEL bucket positioned down on the plywood you should be good to go.
I would probably not max out the machine's capacity while digging, but you don't have that much material to move.
B. John

I too would not worry too much about a tank buried 3 feet down. I would also put down 3/4 plywood and throttle down the rpm's to keep the hoe from jerking around. Once you get close to the tank, you're going to have to dig from the side.

/ Diggng Sewer Pipe? #8  
Whats the tank made of? Ive seen Steel and Plastic tanks that I wouldn't want to be on top of. A concrete tank 3' down wouldn't bother me much with a tractor that size.

/ Diggng Sewer Pipe? #9  
Buried 3 feet and if the dirt is settled, you could drive a semi over it and not hurt it.

Have at it.

/ Diggng Sewer Pipe? #10  
With 3' of soil over the tank it will be just fine . Centered on the tank you'll have no weight any where near the center where it would be vulnerable with less cover. If you keep the front bucket flat there will be no more than a few # per sq. ft. if you apply down pressure when your at the house end of the tank to reach toward the house.