Disable tractor seat shut-off?

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #31  
I agree it's annoying. I was ready to do this on mine and then I took care of two different old timers with history of bad leg fractures from their tractors running them over.

Leave the switch on. Set the brake and put in neutral before getting off.

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #32  
Ever see someone that brush hogged themselves? Or got caught in a pto shaft? I have.
Guess that means I have to be extra careful jumping up & down on the 3 point when I'm using the post hole digger. 😀😃🤪🤪

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #33  
I had the problem where IF I wasn't seated right in the center if I turned around to look while backing up and changed my butt angle the tractor wanted to shut off.

What I did was loosen the seat spring (for lighter person setting) and no more shut offs.

Also yeah - parking brake set and out of gear tractor wont shut off.

I was going to jumper the seat sensor but figured out the seat spring thing and its been fine. Good practice safety first... accidents happen. Get used to taking short cuts and get bit in the ass. Leave the safety features alone and learn to work safe.

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #34  
My late 2019 LS doesn't have a seat switch. The plug is there, just no switch. Discussing it wth the dealer, he explained that they are only present on the HST version, not on the shuttle shifts.

But.... there is a switch on the clutch, brakes, and shuttle lever. In order to start, both pedals (C&B) have to be pressed and the shuttle lever in neutral. The trans could be in gear but as long as the shuttle is neutral, good to start.
Also, if the PTO is on, she won't start. Those switches I wouldn't mess with.

Disabling the seat switch shouldn't be a big deal.... as long as you train yourself to "put it in neutral and set the brake". After you do it a while it will become "muscle memory" and you will do it without even thinking about it.
I have a 2021 LS MT3 with shuttle shift - I've got the seat switch. I needed to loosen my spring on the seat for a lighter person and the problem I was having when leaning the engine would shut off.. problem solved by loosening the spring on the seat suspension.

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #35  
I have a similar issue with an operator presence seat sensor switch on my 2020 Yanmar SA424. In the warmer months it seems to work as would be expected most of the time. If the parking brake is set it will start and continue to run when the operator gets off the tractor. Sometimes in the warmer months the engine will continue to run even when I forget to set the parking brake and exit the tractor.

In the winter I seem to encounter the greatest challenges. (This is my second winter with it.) I keep it in an unheated shed, and with the parking brake set it will not remain running when I get off to allow it to warm up. I have also experienced a few no crank situations in the coldest months. Bounce on the seat a couple of times and the engine cranks and fires up, stand up and the engine shuts down. All while the parking brake is set. Plowing snow and set the parking brake to dismount and change the blade angle, and most times, the engine shuts down.

It is intermittent, I am very close to disabling it. Dealer mechanic was out last fall to service another piece of equipment and I asked him to review this unit while he was here. As would be expected, it worked every time as intended. So there was nothing he could do to "fix" the issue for me. (Unit still under manufacturer warranty.)

Since the parking brake has an adjustable sensor we did adjust it to ensure it always engages correctly when the parking brake is set. On occasion this was the issue for the no crank situation I had experienced shortly after delivery. Had to push down on that pedal till the shank flexed before the switch would engage and allow the engine to crank. Fairly certain that this condition has been corrected now.

I too have 50 & 60 year old tractors where memory muscle and operator awareness are the safety devices. However, I also have a young great nephew who wants to help me with the lawn mowing this coming summer, and while he needs to learn, I would like to minimize the protentional for a preventable injury while he is doing so. His "worldly" experiences have been very limited to date. Hence I am close, but have not disabled the sensor, as then I would need to do as others have suggested and remember to enable it before someone else is in the operator seat.

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #36  
Our Massey only squeaked when it did not 'feel' me or the boys (but not the boss :) ) Even that got to be very annoying, having to hop up and down every once in a while to remind it.

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #37  
In neutral, with the pto off the seat switch kills the engine? I do not favor the idea of disabling seat presence switches. Too many of us forget that the pto is live or tractor in gear until after the accident happens. Loose fitting clothing and pto stuff is not a combo either.
Yeah, but big tractors don't have it. There's big stuff on the pto too.

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #38  
Ever see someone that brush hogged themselves? Or got caught in a pto shaft? I have.

Nope. But I have seen somone who tried to clear a jammed corn picker with the tractor running. Of course, just seeing it was enough to teach me to NEVER do something like that. I haven't needed a safety switch as a reminder.

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #39  
You can regulate against stupidity.
Tractors are for work, they are equipment. they demand focus and full attention. All the horror stories about people getting injured do not sway me in the slightest.
Pay attention to what you're doing and you should be fine.
Also if you're a one man operation on a small plot, you can not have the machine shut off overtime you're not in the seat, you would get nothing done.

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #40  
I have operated farm machinery for over 60 years, have repaired machinery for a dealer also. I have seen early tractor with neutral start switches and have seen especially smaller tractors equipped with just about every switch that can relate to safety. Most of the switches got installed when nonfarmers started buying equipment did dumb things got hurt and found a lawyer.
To protect themselves manufacturers put safety switches on. As a repair facility they cannot defeat a safety device or even tell an owner or operator how to bypass it. If they do and someone gets hurt Mr. lawyer will pay them a very expensive visit.
I do not like them but will put up with them because they are there for my safety and sometimes i do dumb things.
The safety that most people don't use is the brain, it cannot function properly when you are impaired, tired, day dreaming, or uneducated on the equipment you are using. How about the operator driving around with the loader raised to full height, or poking a stick or other object in a machine to unplug it while it is running, starting a tractor by jumping the starter while standing on the ground (that fellow didn't make it), yes I have heard and know of other horror stories of injuries and death because the brain was not engaged.
We can live with and without safety switches but we cannot be safe without the brain engaged fulltime.