Disable tractor seat shut-off?

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #81  
I've already got the upgraded canopy for meteorite protection, and of course we drag ten feet of chain for lightning.
Next on the list will be the new Safety Mower Blades. They don't cut the grass, they pluck it.
rScotty

40 Starlink satellites doomed

… The satellites deployed on Thursday were significantly impacted by a geomagnetic storm on Friday … Preliminary analyses show the increased drag at the low altitudes prevented the satellites from leaving safe-mode to begin orbit raising maneuvers … up to 40 of the satellites will reenter or already have reentered the Earth’s atmosphere.

After so much politics and financial talk it's nice to finally have a serious topic like seat switches to discuss. BTW, ours is no longer a problem. On the Kubota the seat rotates to use the backhoe, and in doing so the pivot caught a seat switch wire under the seat which blew out a fuse and stopping the engine - but not before melting the wire. So we are double safe. If we hadn't been crossing a ditch at the time it would have been a non-event.

Looks like we are good for satellite junk. The double thick insulated meteroite-stopping canopy ought to deflect any falling Starlink debris. ... whew....

With a couple of feet of snow on the ground we won't be shortening grass with the Honda until the Spring thaw.
Still gotta check the basket, battery, and oil on that little plucker.....

rScotty

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #82  
After owning my NH TC35D for 22 years, I've completly bypassed every safety switch. I like the safety features however my frustrations and headaches of trouble shooting when engine would not start are gone. Well worth it to me! It's been so realiable starting. I'm very cautious before turning the key on and making sure levers are where they should be. Not for everyone, but I prefer it.

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #83  
I have a 2005 BX23 which has given me very little trouble as far as safety switches go. That being said, as a retired farmer, I have seen enough weekend breakdowns involving just the safety switches, shutting down time sensitive harvesting operations. So, to make sure that doesn't happen to my small retirement tractor (being retired, there are no time sensitive operations) I have bypassed all the safety features that can shut down the tractor, with a switch, and wired in a push button switch to start the tractor despite any safety switches disabling the normal start feature. This way, the safety features are still there, but when they cause trouble, they can be instantly bypassed, and fixed later.
bypass1.jpg
bypass2.jpg

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #84  
I have a 2005 BX23 which has given me very little trouble as far as safety switches go. That being said, as a retired farmer, I have seen enough weekend breakdowns involving just the safety switches, shutting down time sensitive harvesting operations. So, to make sure that doesn't happen to my small retirement tractor (being retired, there are no time sensitive operations) I have bypassed all the safety features that can shut down the tractor, with a switch, and wired in a push button switch to start the tractor despite any safety switches disabling the normal start feature. This way, the safety features are still there, but when they cause trouble, they can be instantly bypassed, and fixed later.View attachment 732895View attachment 732896

I would like to have a battle switch like military generators have that bypass safety and shutoff systems. Don’t leave me stranded in no man’s land. Let me evaluate and get to a safe place to make repairs. Wish I knew which wire to install a switch?

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #85  
None of my tractors have safety anything. They were all built when people were smart. 😜
Just think.... most of the people that bought those new are dead now.

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #86  
Here is a thought.... IF you are using a PTO or Hydraulic device like generator or hydraulic log splitter maybe make a "bypass" unbiblical to seat switch and have a mate plug on device wired to same parameters as seat occupied switch for device that requires tractor to stay running while operator is not in seat... Suggested for maybe generators using PTO or log splitter using hydraulics.... NOT SUGGESTED for Posthole diggers or Brush Hog mowers and devices where there really is danger of human injury because of rotating parts (blades and shafts) ... This way you don't disable seat switch from its initial safety device design, but allows certain 'safer' equipment to operate ....

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #87  
I was told by the Kioti dealer I bought my CK25 that there was a problem with the seat switch, He told me to use a paper clip to bypass the seat switch. "It is the only one that has that problem" Was still under warranty. The tractor would not start sitting on the seat? Stay away from KIOTI!

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #88  
My MF HST requires shift to be in neutral..... All tractors manufacturers seem to have a different approach on concept of tractor running when operator is off the seat, just as some live by them, some swear at them, some disable them....

My tractor has a seat switch but fortunately the the seat switch only makes a warning light pop up and beep five times if there is nobody in the seat with the PTO engaged. It doesn't turn off the PTO or turn off the tractor, nor does it do anything at all without the PTO engaged. Thus running my PTO generator is no hassle.

However, that changed for the MY2021 versions. The MY2021+ versions with the synchro transmission require an override button to be pressed within seven seconds or the engine shuts off, as the PTO clutch is purely mechanical and the tractor electronics cannot shut off the PTO. MY2021+ versions with the hydraulic reverser transmission (and an electrohydraulic PTO clutch pack) require an override button to be pressed within seven seconds or the electronics shut the PTO off.

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #89  
I like safety equipment generally, as I'm not foolproof. When my wheels are supposed to turn, or when I'm starting the engine, I'm in the seat with the seatbelt fastened and the ROPS up.

But the seat switch on my NH WM25 is so sensitive, moves like reaching for the brake pedals connector or the parking brake, or twisting in the seat to look backwards, will kill the engine. So I've regretfully bypassed the switch.

I do sometimes move the 3PT or loader while out of the seat. I've run the auger that way when drilling very close to an obstruction (and I'm scared while doing so and quite careful and deliberate). When I park in the barn with the pallet forks, I adjust their position so they're pointing tines down and resting on a little cribbing, because the tractor bay is paved with asphalt and I don't want the tines to dig in over time.

I'll sometimes use "pointing and calling" as a certainty step when setting safety related controls. This is a method used in various professions, for example in public transportation where there's a big risk of loss of life. You point at the thing in question and say "brake set" or whatever. This engages brain, eyes, and hand and arm, which makes forgetting or confusing things much less likely.

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #90  

40 Starlink satellites doomed

… The satellites deployed on Thursday were significantly impacted by a geomagnetic storm on Friday … Preliminary analyses show the increased drag at the low altitudes prevented the satellites from leaving safe-mode to begin orbit raising maneuvers … up to 40 of the satellites will reenter or already have reentered the Earth’s atmosphere.

After so much politics and financial talk it's nice to finally have a serious topic like seat switches to discuss. BTW, ours is no longer a problem. On the Kubota the seat rotates to use the backhoe, and in doing so the pivot caught a seat switch wire under the seat which blew out a fuse and stopping the engine - but not before melting the wire. So we are double safe. If we hadn't been crossing a ditch at the time it would have been a non-event.

Looks like we are good for satellite junk. The double thick insulated meteroite-stopping canopy ought to deflect any falling Starlink debris. ... whew....

With a couple of feet of snow on the ground we won't be shortening grass with the Honda until the Spring thaw.
Still gotta check the basket, battery, and oil on that grass snatching little plucker.....

rScotty

Those who have followed this safety thread know my concerns about the danger of spinning blades, and how that fear makes me lean toward the future development of grass snatchers and pluckers instead of cutters. But somehow the inherent hazard of fans and fan belts has been overlooked. Even our normally over-zealous manufacturers have missed that dangerous legal potential.

It would be simple for a mandatory safety program to require aswitch so that no motor could run with the hood open. Someone should start a campaign.

In our nearly safe future I can see ...... Hood closed! Booted foot on clutch, googles, on, mask on, properly seated, both belts fastened, helmet, PTO off, check earmuffs, hazard signals on, test the backup alarm... and now we can safely start that little plucker.