Disc Harrow Disc Harrow or Foward Tiller new field with rock & root after passing with Box Blade

/ Disc Harrow or Foward Tiller new field with rock & root after passing with Box Blade #11  
Re: Disc Harrow or Foward Tiller new field with rock & root after passing with Box Bl

Hi Egon

It is very hard already to pull the Land Pride Box Blade BB2560 471 lbs behind my 3500lb tracter loader HST L2501 full throttle 4WD at low speed with only the Ripper , Shank , Scraper or Scarifier touching the ground being setup all way down and angled foward to prevent the cutting blade to touch down. It is a good thing that at last minute i changed my order from 66'' to 60'' box blade both with still 5 shanks on itView attachment 673771View attachment 673777

I had to weld the tips on 3 of them already as they came off by hitting the rock. So yes i could may be go deeper by tilting forward the box blade further to have the ripper go down more. I guess the more passes i go through the easier it will be for the Tractor as the ground would become looser. For now it is big chunk of solid grass with some small thin roots. But the more i go over the smaller they'll get.

Now it is rainning all day long and winter is coming. Cannot work the lot anymore in full wet Clay as the wheels are spinning with attachment up, not able to move foward or reverse. will have wait next summer.View attachment 673778View attachment 673779

Start shallow and keep going deeper as you stated.

/ Disc Harrow or Foward Tiller new field with rock & root after passing with Box Blade #12  
Re: Disc Harrow or Foward Tiller new field with rock & root after passing with Box Bl

Hi Egon

It is very hard already to pull the Land Pride Box Blade BB2560 471 lbs behind my 3500lb tracter loader HST L2501 full throttle 4WD at low speed with only the Ripper , Shank , Scraper or Scarifier touching the ground being setup all way down and angled foward to prevent the cutting blade to touch down. It is a good thing that at last minute i changed my order from 66'' to 60'' box blade both with still 5 shanks on itView attachment 673771View attachment 673777

I had to weld the tips on 3 of them already as they came off by hitting the rock. So yes i could may be go deeper by tilting forward the box blade further to have the ripper go down more. I guess the more passes i go through the easier it will be for the Tractor as the ground would become looser. For now it is big chunk of solid grass with some small thin roots. But the more i go over the smaller they'll get.

Now it is rainning all day long and winter is coming. Cannot work the lot anymore in full wet Clay as the wheels are spinning with attachment up, not able to move foward or reverse. will have wait next summer.View attachment 673778View attachment 673779

Start shallow and keep going deeper as you stated. Adjust the three point so the rippers want to dig in but limit the depth. This adds more downforce for better traction.

/ Disc Harrow or Foward Tiller new field with rock & root after passing with Box Blade #13  

I would second the notion of hiring the initial working of that clay ground.
Chisel plows or even mouldboard plows then disk and then a spring tooth harrow,
then finally a rotary rock picker.
Clay ground shouldn't be worked when it is wet it will compact from being worked,
as such plant roots have a hard time growing in it.
Once the ground has been prepped then you can level and drag it for your planting.
If the rocks are not brought to the surface and picked they will continually work their way to the surface.
The spring tooth harrows are one of the most effective way to bring the rocks to the surface,
disks will actually push some down a bit.

/ Disc Harrow or Foward Tiller new field with rock & root after passing with Box Blade #14  

I have no experience with Braber equipment in British Columbia but others recommend Braber from time to time.

LINK: Braber Equipment - Whole Goods

Others here have much more experience and expertise with Roto-tillers than I do.

/ Disc Harrow or Foward Tiller new field with rock & root after passing with Box Blade

Braber seem to have very light duty disc Harrow with bushing and not sealed ball bearing.

/ Disc Harrow or Foward Tiller new field with rock & root after passing with Box Blade #16  

Add more weight to your disk. I added about 400 pounds of extra weight to my 7-ft wide offset disc using concrete in plastic buckets.

Tire drag.JPG

Good luck

/ Disc Harrow or Foward Tiller new field with rock & root after passing with Box Blade #17  

I would look at a rock bucket to pick the rock. Buy a small one to use after using the box blade to break up the soil.

/ Disc Harrow or Foward Tiller new field with rock & root after passing with Box Blade #18  

i l also recommend hiring out the initial preparation work to a local farmer or contractor with larger equipment as they can get you better results. A rock picker would be a great tool to run next. If you can find one and can get this done by others that would be far easier and cheaper too. As others have mentioned frost heave will continue bringing rocks to the surface. Might be a good idea to talk to local farmers and or the Canada equivalent to a county agent to get advice for your specific locale.

Tillers are tougher than most people think and forward tine models can handle rocky ground. Big question is how much rock is there? Sometimes it is better to leave it alone and simple press it down below the surface. In your locale that may not work..

/ Disc Harrow or Foward Tiller new field with rock & root after passing with Box Blade

i got most of the rock out already with my homemade grader, i will seed then apply a Roller homemade again. build a garden 3000 sqaure foot and make the row with my homemade bed former that i made last week

IMG_20201122_094724214.jpgIMG_20201210_105925183.jpgIMG_20210111_110238671.jpg