Disc Mower for Compact Tractor???

/ Disc Mower for Compact Tractor??? #1  

leeave96

Silver Member
Tractor
Wheelhorse 520H & 314-8
Anyone run a small disc mower (not drum mower) on a compact tractor with category 1 hitch and hp between 30 and 40?

If so what do you have i.e. make/model and or what you recommend.

Thanks!

/ Disc Mower for Compact Tractor??? #2  
Anyone run a small disc mower (not drum mower) on a compact tractor with category 1 hitch and hp between 30 and 40?

Thanks!
King Kutter

/ Disc Mower for Compact Tractor??? #3  
I'll mention I started cutting about 6 acres ( 3 fields ) with a T1030 NH and a Tractor Supply Countyline 4 foot cutter. Not a good idea & my Kidneys did not approve at all.
I went and bought a T1530 NH and a 6 foot Woods brand cutter. ( both machines in my avatar )
I learned the hard way to avoid all the cutters which have the 45 degree angle on the rear of the decks. Know that they will "BEND" .. usually into the rotating blades.
Buy a quality cutter .... You will not regret it.

/ Disc Mower for Compact Tractor??? #4  
Bush hog makes a quality disc mower,
Model DS3065 and. DS3580 would both work on a compact tractor around 35-40 pto hp

/ Disc Mower for Compact Tractor??? #5  
Disc mowers are nice so long as the fields are clean and rock free. You hit something with a disc mower (like a rock) and screw up the disc drive, be ready to spend big bucks repairing it. They are not forgiving at all.

/ Disc Mower for Compact Tractor??? #6  

Thanks!

I haven't run a disc mower on a compact tractor with a category 1 hitch and between 30 and 40 HP, but I have run disc mowers on larger tractors and I have run other implements on tractors in that size and power range so I will take a stab at your question as several people above are recommending rotary cutters which are a much different implement.

Your best bet would probably be something like Kuhn's 5' 3" 4-disc GMD 16 as it is one of the smallest and lightest disc mowers out there and one of the few that will even have a category 1 3-point hookup. It still weighs 840 lbs and Kuhn recommends 28 PTO HP to run it. I would suspect that recommendation is going to be pretty accurate as it takes 5+ PTO HP per foot of disc mower to go through decent hay. Some manufacturers will say their disc mowers require a lot more power than is actually needed just so that the buyer is using a tractor that is sufficiently large/heavy to handle the large weight hanging off of one side of the tractor. A caddy will help a lot with that as that takes the weight off the 3 point.

Bush hog makes a quality disc mower,
Model DS3065 and. DS3580 would both work on a compact tractor around 35-40 pto hp

Bush Hog sells disc mowers but the smallest one they sell today is the 6' 9" DHM7 which has a category 2 hitch and would not fit a category 1 hitch tractor. The specific models you are discussing are actually sold by a company called Small Farm Innovations and I am not able to tell who actually made them, it does not appear to be Bush Hog.

/ Disc Mower for Compact Tractor??? #7  
I use an 8 footer to cut my hay - similar result to what a sickle bar mower would do. These are fast but are heavy. My John deere is over 50 horse but when you have the disc in the upright (transport) position you want to take off slow or youll pull the front wheels off the ground. I see some weights for the front end in the near future