Discouraged by the work involved changing implements

/ Discouraged by the work involved changing implements #81  
Just the opposite for me...only problem I had with the PTO shaft was getting my hands inside the shield on the back of the tractor. Ended up taking it off. I'm all for safety, but sometimes they just don't think when they put these shields on.

The safety police got all over me for that, so bad I had to promise to put it back on. :laughing:

/ Discouraged by the work involved changing implements
Just the opposite for me...only problem I had with the PTO shaft was getting my hands inside the shield on the back of the tractor. Ended up taking it off. I'm all for safety, but sometimes they just don't think when they put these shields on.

OTOH, getting the pins lined up on the Kioti is a major PITA. I don't know if the angle on the arms is wrong so they don't square up well or what...never had that problem with my old JD750.

I took my shield off in the first month when the tractor was new. Hooking up the PTO was hard enough without that thing in the way. Not sure what it is that it did.

I am a little uneasy about pulling a PTO shaft apart. One problem with hooking it up is it can bind up and needs to be greased. So I managed to pull one completely apart and greased. Thought I would never get it back together. Just wouldn't go for about 15 minutes.

/ Discouraged by the work involved changing implements #83  
I've left the shield on mine, it does flip up out of the way so it's not too bad.

Sean

/ Discouraged by the work involved changing implements #84  
I took my shield off in the first month when the tractor was new. Hooking up the PTO was hard enough without that thing in the way. Not sure what it is that it did.

I am a little uneasy about pulling a PTO shaft apart. One problem with hooking it up is it can bind up and needs to be greased. So I managed to pull one completely apart and greased. Thought I would never get it back together. Just wouldn't go for about 15 minutes.

They are "keyed" so that the U-joints stay in proper relationship to one another. The shape of the shaft is not symmetrical. You have to look pretty close to see it, I usually just try it and if it doesn't pop right in, rotate it one notch and try again.

/ Discouraged by the work involved changing implements #85  

Alan, when the PTO shaft was cut, did they/you leave about 1/4 inch more metal sticking out than the plastic shield? this makes it easier to get it started back together. also of course they are keyed and only go one way. so that the U joints are at 90 degrees to each other. It should only take a few seconds to put one back together.

/ Discouraged by the work involved changing implements #86  
Well after reading this thread I knew I had made a good decision buying my Ford tractor back in 1990. Back then I had purchased my property in Texas and needed a tractor. I knew nothing about tractors. I just looked at what was available then. When I saw what is called the extendable lower links and the pinned stabilizer arms I knew that was the tractor for me. I envisioned attaching implements with this system compared to the others.

Pretty easy even on unlevel ground. Just extend lower links, open arms wide then back to implement until lower links are just past the pins. Then I can move lower links in or out up or down and move arms in toward implements. As for the PTO I just straddle the shaft and with both Hands lift and install, then press the pin and engage. Not familiar with the collar type. I am 70 and been doing this all these years and will continue. The PHD I do not use often and that one I just manhandle onto the tractor.

/ Discouraged by the work involved changing implements #87  
Of this group, I probably have the easiest attaching system (I should not say me in particular, PT owners in general).

It takes me around 40 seconds when the gods are with me and up to a minute and a half when I am struggling to swap out my mower to my post hole digger (the hardest implements to attach.

And yet, I must confess, that even with it being super duper easy, I still grouse about changing implements and have on many occassion stopped a project because I did not want the hassle of getting off the tractor and getting back on.

Just saying, no matter how easy it is it will soon become a PITA.

/ Discouraged by the work involved changing implements #88  
Of this group, I probably have the easiest attaching system (I should not say me in particular, PT owners in general).

It takes me around 40 seconds when the gods are with me and up to a minute and a half when I am struggling to swap out my mower to my post hole digger (the hardest implements to attach.

And yet, I must confess, that even with it being super duper easy, I still grouse about changing implements and have on many occassion stopped a project because I did not want the hassle of getting off the tractor and getting back on.

Just saying, no matter how easy it is it will soon become a PITA.
Well since you moved the discussion to the front, I think that I have the easiest and quickest attaching system.

With the hydraulic Bob-Tach, I don't even get out of the cab to change between these three.
P1060001.JPG P8040016.JPG P8110001.JPG
Drive up, line up and push the button to latch.

/ Discouraged by the work involved changing implements #89  
fair enough. I forgot that Bobcat went to the Bob-Tach system. VERY JEALOUS. But it is just us i think. Poor guys backing up to their tractors, pushing implements around.... They have no idea how good life could really be ;-)

/ Discouraged by the work involved changing implements #90  
My primary solution to the implement switch problem is lots of tractors (I run 6). That allows me to minimize the changes, and it also allows me to run a close to optimum sized tractor for every job (they range in size from 10-43 hp). I have to admit, that of all of them, the tractor that is easiest to change implements on, is an antique, from the tractor series that first brought us the 3 point hitch (Ford 8n). There is just something about that tractor's light weight, compact size, and larger "pin clearance", that makes implement changes a snap. I also like to use a hammer to assist in getting the pins in, and have made a bracket that holds one on the back of a rear fender of most of my 3-point tractors. I never had much trouble with pto hook-ups, but have found that doing that prior to the top-link attachment, helps out a bit by giving you more clearance to work. Also, a little WD-40 on the shaft helps out. I always park my implements on level ground, and start out with the lower link hook-ups. I have one tractor that lacks a 3-point hitch, and it is easier to hook up the pull-type implements.

Last edited: