DIY horse manure breaker-upper(er) - suggestions request

/ DIY horse manure breaker-upper(er) - suggestions request #1  

Wagtail

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4105 / JD Z355E (48" deck)
G'day all. I've got a couple of horses who's main job in life is to make manure. And they're darn good at it too. Instead of purchasing some fancy vacuum/chopper device that I've seen advertised, a friend has suggested that I make something to drag the paddock & break up the balls. The most common suggestion is to get my hands on an old metal gate to drag behind the tractor. A log or old tyres attached to the leading edge to hold it down & a series of chains D-shackled to the back should finish it off.

Later in the season I'll till the whole paddock to work it in.

Suggestions gratefully asked for, especially 'what worked best' & 'DON'T do this...' . Please note, there may be a wee bit of a language barrier (paddock = pasture) and I don't know if I'm simply trying to reinvent the wheel. :laughing:

Ta (= thanks)

/ DIY horse manure breaker-upper(er) - suggestions request #2  
A piece of chain link fence attached to a post on front & back for weight has worked well for me in the past, scattering horse biscuits. Made the tongue out of chain in the form of a V, with a ring on center to pull it.

Made it from "stuff" I had laying around. Works pretty good..!!

My buddy who runs the local starter gen. shop uses a hay tedder to spread out the cow patties in his pastures.

/ DIY horse manure breaker-upper(er) - suggestions request #3  
Just get a chain harrow - you should be able to pick up a cheap second hand one easily...?

/ DIY horse manure breaker-upper(er) - suggestions request #4  
Just noticed you're in Tas... try these people: Pacific Supply Group. They are Siromer dealers - and siromer sell a very cheap (at least here) chain harrow set which would do your job perfectly and last a lot longer than a gate or chainlink fence....

/ DIY horse manure breaker-upper(er) - suggestions request #5  
I used a piece of old light gauge railroad track that I welded a set of old truck triple tire chains to. The track broke the up the heavy stuff and the chains further broke and leveled. This also dug up a lot of the moss that is in the ground and leveled high spots. The connection to the tractor is via 2 pieces of chain to form a V and a ring. All stuff that was around at the time, cost $0, time, a couple of hours.
Cam

/ DIY horse manure breaker-upper(er) - suggestions request #6  
I started with a 6'x8' piece of chain link fence weighted down with an 8x8, then went to 8'x8' chain harrow, then went to and currently use a landscape rake. Problem with anything you drag is 1) It has to stay in the paddock or you have to drag it in and out, or pick it up high with the FEL and move it around 2) You can't back up to store it/move it or get into corners when using it and 3) If you have any vegetation at all (grass, leaves, pine needles, etc.) they clog and are a pain to clear. Another plus for the rake is that it is useful for many other things, too...

/ DIY horse manure breaker-upper(er) - suggestions request #7  
I pick up my drag with the FEL. My neighbour had the local welder make a frame for his 3 point that he picks up his chain harrow with. Seems to work well for him.
Cam

/ DIY horse manure breaker-upper(er) - suggestions request #8  
Whole lot of chickens.

/ DIY horse manure breaker-upper(er) - suggestions request #9  
All workable solutions - if you have spare stuff lying around. If not, I go with Localmotion. There are tpl mounted chain harrows available, but I have not farmed in Oz (northern NSW) since 1991 so not up to date with suppliers. If you can pick up second hand then it will probably work out cheaper than making your own.

/ DIY horse manure breaker-upper(er) - suggestions request #10  
I've used a 2 stage snow blower to do the job nicely on dried, not frozen manure. It turns in into a powder that goes everywhere in the wind. Before that I used an old Jacobson paddle type snow blower to re-home the stuff over the fence. Also not recommended for frozen stuff. Other than the dust, these two deals worked really good in a sand lot (no grass or weeds). Most recently, I've used a trailer type of leaf vacuum attached to my JD F-935 72" front mower. This collects it up so I can take it to a pile and burn it. (Gives the neighborhood that good old burning cork smell). This method does NOT work well with fresh stuff, though. It tends to plug up the chute and hose. Once it's dry, though, sheit happens ! I'm still surprised that no one has perfected a manure burner for their home or garage. A lot of heat value in the stuff, especially horse residoo-doo.