DIY logging winch build

/ DIY logging winch build #11  
Freeze the bearing and heat the pipe to make things go together easier

/ DIY logging winch build #12  
That doesn't look to be that big of a tree, I think I should be able to pull it on flat ground. We'll see.
As for cost of material, so far I am into it for two hundred fifty bucks, that's with the shaft turned, bearings are on the way from McMaster Carr, 60 tooth sprocket from surplus supply, a few tidbits and the stuff I pictured from TSC. Right now I have about two hours into it. I have a bet with my buddy that I can build it for under 300, I know I can't but I bet it won't be much more.

I'd call it a medium log, but big for my size tractor, it was hemlock fresh off the stump so it was heavy to. A few specs to compare log for log for when you pull your first log. This was used for main carrying beam, the first but cut sawed out a full 7-1/2" X 13-1/2" X 20' 2" , so the first but log topped out at around 17" at 20' long then there was another 14-16' log after that, the final top was 6", total length was around 34-36'.

So to get my 5 stars, you have to pull that size hemlock log with your $500.00 pto winch uphill at a 30ー slope, and winch it at the same winch speed. I recommend a 5/16/8mm high strength winch cable, I have 8mm on mine.

/ DIY logging winch build #13  
Freeze the bearing and heat the pipe to make things go together easier

Or freeze the ice cream, heat the chocolate syrup, makes it taste better..........wheat germ optional.

/ DIY logging winch build
What kind of needle bearings are they? The ones with the thin drawn cup aren't super critical as to hole size. If they have a thick ground outer race the hole size has to be spot on, like a ball bearing. 1.25 isn't an accurate enough measurement to know if they'll go in. Does that mean 1.2500?

With bearings you pretty much need to know the exact hole size to know if they'll go in. If you get it part way in and get it stuck you have a problem.

Retired machinist here.

And there in lies the problem! LOL I can get you a picture of the actual bearing if you would like?

/ DIY logging winch build #15  
I guess all you can do is try to put them in with a press or a threaded rod and a couple washers and nuts. Make sure they stay straight.

I'd call it a medium log, but big for my size tractor, it was hemlock fresh off the stump so it was heavy to. A few specs to compare log for log for when you pull your first log. This was used for main carrying beam, the first but cut sawed out a full 7-1/2" X 13-1/2" X 20' 2" , so the first but log topped out at around 17" at 20' long then there was another 14-16' log after that, the final top was 6", total length was around 34-36'.

So to get my 5 stars, you have to pull that size hemlock log with your $500.00 pto winch uphill at a 30ー slope, and winch it at the same winch speed. I recommend a 5/16/8mm high strength winch cable, I have 8mm on mine.

That's a big load no doubt! My tractor is 50 hp, only 2 wheel drive and no chains yet. I'm not sure I could haul that log. LOL
I'll take some pics and maybe some videos once I get her up and going.
To be honest, if the winch works with the cable I have to my satisfaction I may just spring for the synthetic rope. I have synthetic rope on my 10K winch on my Jeep and I love it.
I'll keep you posted, I'm hoping to pick up some steel today to start the box to hold it all.

You wouldn't think a piece of 2.5" OD x .250 wall round DOM would be that hard to track down! LOL I need about a 4" piece. I may end up back at the machinists.

/ DIY logging winch build #18  
You wouldn't think a piece of 2.5" OD x .250 wall round DOM would be that hard to track down! LOL I need about a 4" piece. I may end up back at the machinists.

This is where the right tooling comes into play when building something like a winch, with a lathe getting the right size round to fit inside something round is no problem or if you have a best friend that's a machinist is even better. This is going to be an interesting build.

Well I made a trek to a steel supplier in VT today to pick up a few things for the build, I half heartedly asked if they had any 2 1/2" .025 wall round tube and the owner says "sure" SOB! LOL
So after a quick trip inside the building I found what I needed between the scrap bin and the drop bin :) and a 22" piece of 2 1/2" DOM so now I'm just waiting on my stuff from surpluscenter to get here. They don't seem to be real quick on shipping like we've come to expect from some places...lol
Stay tuned!

/ DIY logging winch build #20  
I'm just waiting on my stuff from surpluscenter to get here. They don't seem to be real quick on shipping like we've come to expect from some places...lol
Stay tuned!

I think it's the "goodies" that we're waiting on that makes it seem like a long time :D I know the feeling and they are not the speed we've gotten used to for sure.