DIY logging winch build

/ DIY logging winch build
The cable holder should never be that high but my thought was that it will keep it centered in the pulley even if it does get that high. My goal is to have the pulley no higher than about 3 1/2 to 4' high.
I think the new frame will actually work better.

Got my bearings from McMaster Carr (love that store, always quick shipping)
I got the bearings all in, ground the groove for the key in the shaft and got the drive shaft all assembled. I think the large sprocket is going to be pretty stout.
I am now thinking I may just order the same clutch disc that the Farmi winch uses that way at least I know it's a known set up. I'll look up the cost tonight, If my memory serves me right i don't think it was much more than a Camaro clutch disc.
2nC8KlEl.jpg

ckqq18ol.jpg

Cut the nipple off for the cable.
AAa6jSPl.jpg

I picked up the 11 gauge sheets today for my dump trailer so tomorrow I will be putting that back together **** rust belt!
dave_dj1 is online now Report Post

Theres not much space between my winch and tractor, when lowered down there's just enough room to hook up pto shaft and the shaft measures around 24" with ability to move in or out depending on how high the winch is, universels at both ends. I think these shafts come a certain length and then the dealer cuts them to the right length for the proper fit when buying an implement.

Probably one important thing is dont make the pto shaft too long so when you lift your winch up it wont snap off the pto shaft on tractor. The right length probably cant be made till you have your winch on tractor.

The cable hole pipe on your cable keeper box appears to be too high compared to mind, when my keeper swings up the cable hole is no higher than the pulley, my thinking is if cable hole is higher than pulley the cable wont stay in the pulley groove.

I found the solution today. I went and looked at a Wallenstein fx 8500 (over 6K YIKES) and they have a bolt through the block to keep the cable from going up off the sheave, i will probably do that.
I love how when someone else's eyes are on something and it gets brought to attention and you research it and learn :)

/ DIY logging winch build #34  
A bolt sounds good to me, coare things can always be change and rearrange later after using the winch a few times. The FX 8500 is on the bigger side, 3/8 cable, wow and 6k another wow. It's good that you had a chance to look at one. I cant build a thing without having it right there with me, you're doing better than I could.

FX85 Skidding Winch | Skidding Winches | | Wallenstein Outdoor Power Equipment

/ DIY logging winch build #35  
Got my bearings from McMaster Carr (love that store, always quick shipping)
I got the bearings all in, ground the groove for the key in the shaft and got the drive shaft all assembled. I think the large sprocket is going to be pretty stout.
I am now thinking I may just order the same clutch disc that the Farmi winch uses that way at least I know it's a known set up. I'll look up the cost tonight, If my memory serves me right i don't think it was much more than a Camaro clutch disc.

dave_dj1 is online now Report Post

What's the cost of one of those clutch disc, how else can it be done? Gotta have something for a disc.

/ DIY logging winch build #36  
How are you engaging/disengaging the winch? And does it have a brake on it? I've got a pretty heavy military winch off the front of a 5 ton truck I'm considering converting to a PTO skidding winch.

How are you engaging/disengaging the winch? And does it have a brake on it? I've got a pretty heavy military winch off the front of a 5 ton truck I'm considering converting to a PTO skidding winch.

The engagement will be with some wedge shaped pieces , the center one will have a handle on it so when you pull it it will force the drum over. I'll put some pics up later.
Yes it has a brake, look back at the pictures of the drum, one side has dogs cut into it. Be careful with the gear driven PTO winches as I am told you can't release them if you get it bound up and can't reverse them if the need arises. No first hand experience but enough people told me and steered me away from that route.

I'm not sure of the cost of the clutch disc, I know I can buy one for a Camaro for about 35 bucks. I'll see if I can get a price today.

/ DIY logging winch build #38  
Could I put a bug in your ear for your next build? Or even to glean a few ideas on this one.

Call the US Forest Service research center and ask for the free plans for the "Bitterroot Yarder". While at it ask for the bigger Yarder as well.

/ DIY logging winch build #39  
I'm also interested to see how your build goes; I'm considering a recovery winch for the tractor as I have managed to get stuck a few times.
So much to think about though...

I want to dig out an old pond with the fel, but the odds of getting stuck are about 10/1 [in favor of]. And there are trees to anchor to.

Keep in mind that if your cable or rope breaks or comes free, it will snap back towards the tractor with massive force and speed. that's why those winches have big heavy shields.
I'm sure you know all that, but as I didn't see it stated in the thread I had to add it anyway.

/ DIY logging winch build #40  
I'm also interested to see how your build goes; I'm considering a recovery winch for the tractor as I have managed to get stuck a few times.
A "recovery" winch isn't such a bad idea on a tractor, but a recovery winch makes a poor skidding winch!

That's the difference...

SR