DIY thumb for tractor bucket

/ DIY thumb for tractor bucket #1  

davedj1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
Well I dragged a fail amount of trees out with my winch and now it's time to cut them into firewood pieces (24") and I have a bad back! Luckily for me the Kubota I just bought had a third remote in the rear with dual quick connects (I have no idea why, they were on a tee) . It also came with a hydraulic top link so I figured I would use that for the ram on the thumb. I built this entirely from stuff laying in the garage. The two main arms are from a front end loader I had started to build for a Deutz-Allis little garden tractor :)
I ran to TSC and bought two 1/2" x 14' hoses, two swivel ends, two connectors and two 4' x 1/2" hoses. I removed one set of QD's from the bottom of the tee and ran my hoses forward and put the QD's on the front. I think it will work pretty well to lift the trees for a comfortable cutting height.
Here are a few pics, I'm for function over finish so don't critique me too badly....LOL
FnmyHfb.jpg

m22nRNel.jpg

yYSRqRMl.jpg

AmTzjLil.jpg

kcfl36Il.jpg

MYVE2ell.jpg

/ DIY thumb for tractor bucket #3  
Looks like a useful mod. I've considered something similar for my tractor.

Couple comments:
-I'd remove the tees and replace with 90s. I suspect the previous owner installed them to provide downward facing connections for something on the front of the tractor as you've done, and connections straight back for a hitch mount implement. But you can only use one or the other at the same time. Since you've removed the downward facing couplers, what you've got is effectively bulky 90s. Nothing wrong with that, but unnecessary.
-Can't tell by the pics, but if there is no support down the back of the bucket where the thumb attaches, it won't be long until the top of the bucket bends then cracks due to the hydraulic forces twisting it back and forth. Perhaps a doubler along the top of the bucket and something down the back to spread the load.

Nice work!

/ DIY thumb for tractor bucket
Thanks guys! It got a good work out today and I can already see the top of the bucket starting to bend upwards. I think my brother has a piece of 4x4x3/8 angle iron he said I could have. I'll check that out in the next day or so.
I appreciate the comments, texasranger, I still need the rear QD's for the top link when I have the carry all/forks on the back. I'm not going to work this thing very often, a few days a year for firewood and the rear forks for moving firewood around the property.
There is a piece of 3/8x6x16 flat stock that goes down the rear of the bucket with a piece on the inside of the bucket to help it. I don't think it is the proper set up as I can see the back of the bucket flexing too :(
I didn't do any woodin' this weekend, got there this morning and someone had helped themselves to some of my logs! I can't believe someone would do such a thing, I was so angry. It is a public trail so I can't stop the traffic although there is very little , my buddy lives at one end and said he didn't see anyone come down out his way. I have a suspicion but really didn't think the guy I'm thinking of is that way but who knows!
Here's a couple of pics of today's haul:
WN81953l.jpg

Ad8eGjJl.jpg

58SBRQ4l.jpg

What a day!

Last edited:
   / DIY thumb for tractor bucket #5  
Yeah, you beat me to it. The top lip of your bucket isn't liking you at all bout now!!!! Better get something welded in there pretty quick. The more you use this tool, the more you are going to expect from this tool. I learned that building a Grapple on a bucket.

Good job!!!! Handy tool!!!!!

/ DIY thumb for tractor bucket #6  
Sounds like you're on the right track with reinforcement!

My point with the quick disconnects is that when you attach your hydraulic top link to the tee'd connections, your thumb will operate at the same time which isn't what you want. So you'll have to remove the thumb hoses to get the top link to work as expected.

Sucks about the missing logs. Around here tree companies will deliver logs and chips for free to avoid paying dump fees.

Sounds like you're on the right track with reinforcement!

My point with the quick disconnects is that when you attach your hydraulic top link to the tee'd connections, your thumb will operate at the same time which isn't what you want. So you'll have to remove the thumb hoses to get the top link to work as expected.

Sucks about the missing logs. Around here tree companies will deliver logs and chips for free to avoid paying dump fees.

I understand what you are saying, I don't intend to use the grapple and the back , it's the same cylinder so I'll just move it to the back when needed.
I updated my first post with a pic .of the two dump trailer loads. That stuff is HEAVY! Mostly hard Maple and some Black Birch

/ DIY thumb for tractor bucket #8  
I understand what you are saying, I don't intend to use the grapple and the back , it's the same cylinder so I'll just move it to the back when needed.
I updated my first post with a pic .of the two dump trailer loads. That stuff is HEAVY! Mostly hard Maple and some Black Birch
Ahh, that would work just fine then!

New picture of today's two trailer loads.
e6IO4rCl.jpg

/ DIY thumb for tractor bucket #10  
Nice , looking to make one for my b7100