DIY thumb for tractor bucket

/ DIY thumb for tractor bucket #21  
Dave, something I just thought about as I was re reading what you wrote the other day. In your example of a backhoe bucket and thumb one exerts force on the other. In my thumb application this does not happen as the thumb moves with the bucket tilt and not against it. I'm guessing the only way I would have increased pressure on the cylinder would be if a large log was drooping thereby pushing against the thumb?

My only goal is to give you my thoughts..

I am pleased they do not apply to your system

Dave m7040

/ DIY thumb for tractor bucket #22  
Dave, something I just thought about as I was re reading what you wrote the other day. In your example of a backhoe bucket and thumb one exerts force on the other. In my thumb application this does not happen as the thumb moves with the bucket tilt and not against it. I'm guessing the only way I would have increased pressure on the cylinder would be if a large log was drooping thereby pushing against the thumb?

Or grabbing a fixed object on the ground with the bucket rolled forward and then moving the tractor backward.

/ DIY thumb for tractor bucket
Or grabbing a fixed object on the ground with the bucket rolled forward and then moving the tractor backward.

Good point! This is all new to me, I'm learning all the time :)

/ DIY thumb for tractor bucket #24  
Any action that puts more stress on the hydraulics of the thumb than can be applied by the tractor's hydraulic system opens the possibility of failure.

/ DIY thumb for tractor bucket #25  
great idea and job. I strongly recommend you make them to sell.