DIY tractor weights ideas

/ DIY tractor weights ideas #11  
Used a ballast weight off an old small forklift from a junk yard, just welded a 3pt set up on it using pieces of 3" x 1/4" angle iron, 200 bucks and a hr. of work.
Makes a massive difference on traction, I can actually keep the tractor in 2 wheel drive and push dirt with the FEL.

/ DIY tractor weights ideas
I'll look into how much to fill the back tires ,tires are in good shape I will try the concrete barrel - Thanks alot

/ DIY tractor weights ideas #13  
I'll look into how much to fill the back tires ,tires are in good shape I will try the concrete barrel - Thanks alot

75% is the rule with the valve stem at 12 'O clock fill it to that point. Unless you mean how $$$ for someone else to fill them. I just bought metal valves and an adapter for mine so I can use a sump pump in a 5 gal. pail to inject antifreeze into mine before the snow flies.

/ DIY tractor weights ideas
75% is the rule with the valve stem at 12 'O clock fill it to that point. Unless you mean how $$$ for someone else to fill them. I just bought metal valves and an adapter for mine so I can use a sump pump in a 5 gal. pail to inject antifreeze into mine before the snow flies.

I have to try that so how does the anti freeze give your tires weight?.

/ DIY tractor weights ideas #15  
I have to try that so how does the anti freeze give your tires weight?.

Adding any liquid to the inside of your tire adds weight. For example: if the liquid weighs 8 lbs per gallon and each rear tire takes 35 gallons to fill it 75% then you have added 280 lbs per tire or 560 lbs. for the pair. Be careful using antifreeze, if your tire gets a leak the antifreeze is toxic to animals and the environment.

/ DIY tractor weights ideas #16  
Liquid ballast in the rear tires is the cheapest ballast that can be added to the tire/wheel assembly. Much cheaper than cast weights.

I used Windshield Washer fluid bought by the 65 gallon barrel at the local parts store. Added 1100lbs of weight for just over $200.

/ DIY tractor weights ideas #17  
And concrete barrel is probably the cheapest counter weight you can make. As a bonus for you given your tractor is 2 wheel drive you'll be amazed at the traction it gives you. I pretty much never engage 4 wheel drive with the barrel on. And as you'll see from examples on here you can build it with a receiver hitch and other useful options that won't add much at all to the cost.

E.

/ DIY tractor weights ideas #18  
Lots of ways to go. I have a trailer hitch receiver on a quick hitch drawbar I built, so I just poured a big block of concrete around a 2x2 tube. I also cast up some concrete "suitcase" weights to sit on the drawbar.

weight.jpg

/ DIY tractor weights ideas #19  
I did something similar for the front of my small tractor. image-3586604311.jpg This keeps my front end on the ground when using my carry-all.

Receiver draw-bar in a 5-gallon bucket. Piece of cake...

I plan to make some extra ones that will hang off of the side.

/ DIY tractor weights ideas #20  
overszd:

I could not find any deal on 55gal drums of windshield washer fluid.
Just bought 80 (single) gallons of -20F windshield washer fluid for $1.42 (with tax - $114).
Tire liquid fill fitting at TSC was $9.xx. W/W fluid is not completely environmental friendly, as it does contain methanol.
Animals will not lick W/W fluid though, as they will with sweet ethylene glycol (automotive anti-freeze). Automotive anti-freeze WILL KILL animals (dogs - cats - farm animals, etc.)!
"beet juice" may be the best choice for tire ballast, but in my area it would cost me more than 3X what I paid for W/W fluid.
Beet juice is environmentally friendly, and weighs about 10.8 lb./gal. W/W fluid weighs less, at about 8 lb./gal., but in my opinion the beet juice is not worth 3X the cost of W/W fluid.
R/V antifreeze is another envionmentally correct choice, but also does not weigh as much as beet juice, and is too costly as well!