DK45 starting problem

/ DK45 starting problem #1  

RJJR

Gold Member
Tractor
2011 Kioti DK45 HST
Folks,
I went out today to bush hog a little grass to find out I couldn't get the tractor to start.
When I turn the switch to it's normal location to let the glow plugs warm the dash did not light at all. So I kept turning it all the way and get nothing as well. I turned it slowly, about 3/4 of the way and the dash lit, the glow plugs came on and went out as usual and the tractor started. However, it cuts right back off if I let go of the switch. It will only run if I hold the switch in that one spot. Anyone else had this problem? Sounds like the switch right? I did all the other things first, checked battery, cleaned connections at battery and made sure it was charged. Fuel gauge stopped working a few weeks ago but I feel it is unrelated. I get no juice except one sweet spot on the switch and it's gone when I turn it a loose.

I've read about a lot of switch trouble on this forum. My tractor stays under a shelter and I put a Gatorade top over the switch so it hasn't gotten any water in it. It's only got 110 hours on it and is under warranty but I'll have to get it there.
Thoughts please?
Thanks

/ DK45 starting problem
Got it fixed for anyone that has a similar problem. It's a piece of crap, cheap switch. Had to take column apart, take switch out of column, split switch in half and run sandpaper across the contacts about 5 times. Put back together and started like new. Tractor never sits outside or is even operated in the rain and switch opening is covered if key is not in it.

/ DK45 starting problem #3  
My dealer said that Kioti's supplier was sending them junk for switchs and that Kioti now has a new supplier. Contact your dealer and see if your year tractor has the switch from the junk supplier and if so... see if they will send you a new switch. Otherwise you will be doing this again in the near future.

/ DK45 starting problem #4  
Why not just the dealer to send you a new switch in the mail.. it looks easy to replace.

/ DK45 starting problem #5  
Why not just the dealer to send you a new switch in the mail.. it looks easy to replace.
+1
Why go through the hassle of getting the tractor to the dealer and back over a switch.
Tell the dealer to send you a new switch and stick it in.

/ DK45 starting problem #6  
+1
Why go through the hassle of getting the tractor to the dealer and back over a switch.
Tell the dealer to send you a new switch and stick it in.

I second the +1, and say get your dealer to send a new good switch and replace it when current one craps out again.

/ DK45 starting problem
I second the +1, and say get your dealer to send a new good switch and replace it when current one craps out again.

Agreed. I'm not through with this but am frustrated with the poor design. We'll see if they'll send me a switch on my diagnoses or if it will take more. I'll be surprised if they don't want to have it in the shop first. The problem I have is we're talking about a relatively inexpensive part. Charge me $5 OR $50 when I buy it up front to make it right. I spend 65 to 70 hours a week at me real job so I want a relatively new tractor to start when I need it to start. Bought a new box blade from EA and couldn't even try it out today. Poor quality for a critical part is unacceptable. Just frustrated now. I have the squealing in reverse that the older posts talk about and I've had a mess with my shifter. See past posts. They fixed it under warranty but it took almost 6 weeks. Lost my garden. New tractor cut in half for repairs. So all things relative this wouldn't be a big deal but I'm tired of having to work on a fairly new tractor every time I need to use it. Especially when it's not abused.

Thanks for the feedback.

Frustrated in NC... Near the corporate headquarters. Close to becoming a pain in the *** for them. It's bad when your wife says you've bought a lemon...Switches are obviously a problem. Why don't they make it right??????

/ DK45 starting problem #8  
Ease up dude, I'm just the messenger here not the source of the problem. And FWIW, I was instrumental in making sure Kioti solved the 'squeal in reverse issue'.
When one buys a tractor new it comes with a warranty so the dealer and the manufacturer are in agreement with you to fix any defective parts or materials/workmanship during the stated warranty period.
I'm not saying that takes away the frustration you may be feeling about your experience to date, but let's not forget how the warranty works. Consider yourself lucky if they send you a switch instead of having to diagnose it and fix it at their shop- not an unusual requirement of warranty work.
I just bought a boat trailer brand new. It came with a leaking spliced brake line, a missing screw in the brake actuator cylinder and numerous other things I have had to point out to the manufacturer, who blames it all on their suppliers and gives me little assurance that they will be there for me going forward.
And just about EVERYTHING that contains a switch these days, which is about anything you can think of has bad from the factory components. Why? because Americans have allowed corporations to ship our workforce jobs overseas and China, S. Korea and Thailand, etc. are making CRAP and we keep buying it.
It's all junk: cell phones, GPS units, pc's, laptops, software, etc. It's all got a short shelf life like milk and lookout if you don't get things fixed during warranty, 'cause after it's up so is the willingness to fix it for anything but highway robbery pricing.
Rant over:confused3:

/ DK45 starting problem #9  
Agreed. I'm not through with this but am frustrated with the poor design. We'll see if they'll send me a switch on my diagnoses or if it will take more. I'll be surprised if they don't want to have it in the shop first. The problem I have is we're talking about a relatively inexpensive part. Charge me $5 OR $50 when I buy it up front to make it right. I spend 65 to 70 hours a week at me real job so I want a relatively new tractor to start when I need it to start. Bought a new box blade from EA and couldn't even try it out today. Poor quality for a critical part is unacceptable. Just frustrated now. I have the squealing in reverse that the older posts talk about and I've had a mess with my shifter. See past posts. They fixed it under warranty but it took almost 6 weeks. Lost my garden. New tractor cut in half for repairs. So all things relative this wouldn't be a big deal but I'm tired of having to work on a fairly new tractor every time I need to use it. Especially when it's not abused.

Thanks for the feedback.

Frustrated in NC... Near the corporate headquarters. Close to becoming a pain in the *** for them. It's bad when your wife says you've bought a lemon...Switches are obviously a problem. Why don't they make it right??????

Welcome to a little of my world . Sorry your going threw it I have more people pm me on this same felling because they see how some kioti op have been treating me. The AG here told me to let them try to fix one more time if they don't get it right this time they will proceed with helping me get out of this and get my $ back or get me in a new tractor all I want is my tractor to work like a new tractor that works . My wife said I should of stead with a MF. I wouldn't say lemon here.

Last edited:
   / DK45 starting problem #10  
Don't allow yourself to buy into 'landed-a-lemon's' paranoid delusional psychosis. Page after page of his nonsense have done nothing to convince anyone here that he bought a lemon; some just take a, 'I'm a victim stance' then whine so long as there's an audience. Your tractor is NOT a lemon any more than his.
Keep working with your dealer.