DK5010 just stopped today

/ DK5010 just stopped today #1  

r0bg

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5010HS
Never thought I’d be here reporting a problem but I was running my DK5010 today and all of a sudden it turned off. It’s a couple years old and has 207 hours. Hoping it was out of gas despite the tank saying it was 1/4 full I added diesel. Didn’t help.

I’d been running it about an hour, pulling my 6’ brush hog. The temp was fine. It just stopped out of nowhere and I have no clue what happened. There were no other clues. No noise, no smoke, no nothing. Just an engine that stopped and would not start again. I had to leave it where it was.

Any ideas what to check first?

/ DK5010 just stopped today #2  
   / DK5010 just stopped today #3  
Well the dk5010 is the new common rail tier 4, so it doesn’t have the stop solenoid and such as the previous models.

Does it crank when you try to restart it, or does it not do anything?

If it doesn’t crank over then likely a safety switch has either been tripped or possibly unplugged.

First thing is to check all the fuses and see if anything obvious has been unplugged such as the seat switch.

/ DK5010 just stopped today
It cranks when I try to restart it.

/ DK5010 just stopped today #5  
Have you checked the fuel filter?

My investigation is going to center on looking for anything that could have been pulled loose/destroyed while I was brush hogging. I was running over some pretty tall cane-like growth

/ DK5010 just stopped today #7  
Being a diesel and seeing as you didn’t see an overheat situation and didn’t hear anything internally chewing it’s self up my guess would be fuel. I’d unhook the fuel line post filter and see if you get any fuel flow and if you do I’d then check at an injector. I’m guessing fuel flow was killed somehow. If compression you would’ve likely seen or heard something first. Check for oil in coolant but doubtful you lost compression on all cyls at once.

/ DK5010 just stopped today #8  
When you say turned off, was it just the engine that quit? Still have lights on the dash? If yes on the lights, you likely have a fuel issue as others have stated. I'd change out the fuel filter and start from there.

I had a similar issue on my 2305 once. Turned out to be a bug that had somehow made it into the fuel tank and was blocking the fuel line right at a curve in the fuel line. A bit of compressed air blew him out.

Ok I’m back out here with the tractor today. Checked all the fuses and all the ones I can tell on are good. There are also several big square multi-bladed objects plugged into the fuse box but they’re not see through.

JoelD and justman triple 7 yeah, it just quit like I’d turned off the key. All the lights are on. Everything seems perfectly normal. I even got under it today to make sure nothing got knocked or pulled loose but there isn’t too much under there.

Checking the fuel is a good idea. I’ll do that next.

Ok I feel a whole lot closer. I drained the fuel filter and what seems like a 3-4 tablespoons of diesel-y water came out. Didn’t seem like much but I was hopeful so I went and tried to start it.

It’s been raining and the tractor is sitting in a low spot so there’s a puddle. I heard something dripping into that puddle after I tried starting it. There is a fountain of diesel coming out from somewhere behind the fuel tank. Something is definitely busted and I’ll take a look at it as soon as reconcile with myself that I’m gonna have to lay in 3-4” of soft mud to look for it.