Do Car hauler fenders add to the structural integrity of the trailer.

/ Do Car hauler fenders add to the structural integrity of the trailer. #1  

homedad

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT
My 7000# open car hauler fenders are substantially beat up from hauling logs. The inside panels which are supposed to be welded to the frame are just flapping around. This becomes more pronounced when driving my tractor onto it but closes once the tractor is in place. My question is: Do fenders add rigidity or are they just to protect other drivers?

/ Do Car hauler fenders add to the structural integrity of the trailer. #2  
If you are looking at typical thin sheet metal fenders, then those are not structural. If you have something more substantial made from plate or thick stuff, then maybe but I'd still doubt it.

/ Do Car hauler fenders add to the structural integrity of the trailer. #3  
My 7000# open car hauler fenders are substantially beat up from hauling logs. The inside panels which are supposed to be welded to the frame are just flapping around. This becomes more pronounced when driving my tractor onto it but closes once the tractor is in place. My question is: Do fenders add rigidity or are they just to protect other drivers?
I doubt they add anything other than protection from flying debris.

/ Do Car hauler fenders add to the structural integrity of the trailer. #4  
Considering many are removable to accommodate opening the car door after loading, I too doubt they add much strength.
Patrick

/ Do Car hauler fenders add to the structural integrity of the trailer. #5  
As said above, basic sheet metal won't be particularly structural, although if you had drive over fenders of one type or another the could be structural.
What does the frame look like around the axles?

My utility trailer is one of those that has double thickness from the tongue back to the front axle, then drops down to a single (heavy duty) angle iron from in front of the front spring perch to the rear of the trailer. When I get around to cleaning up and updating the trailer, I'm going to add something like 4x6 x 5/16 angle iron or so the length of the fenders. with the 6" pointing up. It will be able to be largely hidden, and toughen up the rear of the trailer considerably. Then I will extend more frame to the back.

Nonetheless, that doesn't appear to be common with car haulers.

/ Do Car hauler fenders add to the structural integrity of the trailer. #6  
If this is your motto then yes your fenders make your trailer stronger

1715079530434.jpeg

/ Do Car hauler fenders add to the structural integrity of the trailer. #7  
My question is: Do fenders add rigidity or are they just to protect other drivers?
They are not structural on any trailer that I've ever seen or built. It's possible that someone could build a trailer that utilized the fenders in a structural capacity, but that would be a non-standard build. If they are moving around and gaps are opening and closing when you load your tractor onto the trailer that means that your frame is flexing and you should be considering a sturdier trailer. Most car trailers are built as light as possible, which (obviously) makes for less weight to pull down the road but also makes them not really suited to hauling things like logs and machinery.

/ Do Car hauler fenders add to the structural integrity of the trailer.
Thanks to all for your input.