Do DPOCV's Make Top Links Chatter ??

/ Do DPOCV's Make Top Links Chatter ?? #1  

Gordon Gould

Tractor
Kubota L3010DT, Kubota M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G Dozer
I bought a used tractor a while back and it came with a Hydraulic Top Link. It has Dual Pilot Operated Check Valves on it from the looks. I just started using the TL. It runs smooth sometimes and chatters/jerks some times. It seems that the chattering occurs when very little or no hydraulic pressure is required to move the ram. For example, when extending the ram when there is a large weight hanging off of it so gravity does all the work and no pressure is required. I am thinking maybe the Check Valve is slamming open and closed because the pilot pressure drops to zero after the valve opens. Is this what is happening ? Is something wrong or is that just how they work??? That chatter is very disconcerting. Thank you.

gg

/ Do DPOCV's Make Top Links Chatter ?? #2  
Yes P.O. checks can cause chatter. This is caused by the over hanging load wanting to runaway so the pilot pressure is lost and the check closes.

Installing an orifice to limit travel speed (flow) can reduce or eliminate the chatter.

/ Do DPOCV's Make Top Links Chatter ??
Thank you - That is what I was hoping to hear. I will try a flow restrictor on the ram end.

gg

/ Do DPOCV's Make Top Links Chatter ?? #4  
Also TNT setups, though you're just using tht T portion, work best after being cycled numerous times when first hooked up, to remove as much air as possible. This may or may not apply to your situation, but cycling the valve fully numerous times couldn't hurt trying to see if it makes a difference.

Also TNT setups, though you're just using tht T portion, work best after being cycled numerous times when first hooked up, to remove as much air as possible. This may or may not apply to your situation, but cycling the valve fully numerous times couldn't hurt trying to see if it makes a difference.

10-4 Coyote, that is a good point. Thanks. That is the first thing I tried.

gg

/ Do DPOCV's Make Top Links Chatter ?? #6  
Thank you - That is what I was hoping to hear. I will try a flow restrictor on the ram end.

gg

Gordon, start with an .030 orifice. You can always drill it out if needed. I personally would put them on both hoses, just because.

Gordon, start with an .030 orifice. You can always drill it out if needed. I personally would put them on both hoses, just because.

Thanks Brian. That is very helpful.

Edit: You have those ????

gg

An update for anyone interested in this. I picked up two .030 restrictor fittings at a tractor dealer in Montpelier when I went through one day. I was surprized they had them. I have installed one of them in the hose on the ram end of the cylinder. So far that has solved the problem - no more chattering. I figured I would put one in at a time so that I could see the effect of each separately. I will leave it this way if it continues to work.

gg