Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties?

/ Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #61  
I live at 7000’ in a residential area. I bought a Mahindra with FEL because a blower was just to difficult. Our driveway is only 100’ long.
But we can get some snow. It took a day with my neighbor to clear my drive and his 30’ from a 7’ snowfall And weeks to recover. Another big snow was forecast and I bought the tractor sight unseen if, if he could deliver the next day, he did. We got 5’ and it worked flawlessly. Everywhere I looked people were begging so I started charging. You can not count on a contractor because in big snows they have issues. Skip loaders just don’t work for them especially if you have a slope. PU plows can’t do them so you just have to wait. Chains are mandatory for plowing and most vehicles when chain restrictions go into effect.

So my Plowing pays for the tractor, fuel and chains. My neighbors and friends are happy and I’m happy. We usually get one or two Big snows each year, over two feet, 3’ being not uncommon. The city does the streets with the large articulated loaders with a 10’ 8,000 pound blade which leaves really big berms which are very heavy and removing them is a business in itself even with small snows of a foot or so which are common. The Mahindra clears these easily.

/ Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #62  
I bought a brand new BX25 with back hoe a few years ago, zero interest deal, to replace a quite old Kubota BX23 that had served me very well. That one only had a bucket and mower and I plowed with it for quite awhile. Bought it used and sold it for what I paid for it!

When I bought the new tractor, which I figured would be my last one for life, I ordered a plow blade that I could move hydraulically, at no small extra cost. After using that a few times I realized that on my curvy, hilly driveway, the blade was just too big and was basically useless angled because of the driveway contours. Been using the bucket to plow successfully ever since.

Anybody wanna buy a nice, barely used, Kubota plowing attachment? ;)

To answer your question, since I'm getting older now, I plan on using this to plow and cut the grass and do occasional yard stuff (I've got 3 wooded acres so there's always something to do) until I just can't anymore. I've hired plenty of plowing companies in the past, and they have sucked in various ways, so there's just no substitute for doing it yourself, correctly, if you can.

/ Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #63  
I was just pricing out a snowplow for my truck, and the price came to around $5200 for an eight foot steel plow and stuff.

Does the average homeowner or backyard farmer spend that kind of money on snow removal stuff, or is the purchase of plows limited to people who do this to make money?

Do people spend $5000 on accessories for a tractor or is that too much money for most tractor folks?

Would like to hear people's experiences here.

Thanks
you do if you want to plow your driveway LOL
for others they call people like me then complain about the damned cost w/o realizing how much a 9.2 foot v blade and mounting/electrical costs on TOP of a truck to carry it.

/ Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #64  
I was surprised to see how many replied affirmative to the truck plow. Around here (Michigan thumb) it used to be largely lawn tractors with front blades or farm tractors with rear blades. There were plow trucks but most of those were also part time commercial guys or a dedicated ‘beater’ truck. Nowadays I see a large range including four wheelers, side by sides and compact tractors using FEL, back blade and blowers. There are even people with large self propelled blowers. There are still plow trucks but the number seems to have dwindled as other options arrive and the amount of snow seems to have waned here recent years. Me, I used a four wheeler for years. Does great until the snow gets heavy and over about a foot. We now have the compact tractor with back blade.

I see mostly multi purpose units and the snow specific parts more like $400 - $4000.

/ Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #65  
As stated above, buying what you can afford as well as what you will use is pretty standard. I bought a Mahindra SCUT a few years ago after we moved to upstate NY with a 500' gravel drive, two large parking areas, and a 15x30' landing for our wood sheds. We get 10-15 plowable snows on average per winter. Many are over 12". I use the FEL with a pair of Edge Tamers so I don't plow the gravel away with the snow. I can't recommend those enough. They are great all year long. Plowing my property takes an hour for anything under 16". Add time for larger snowfalls. I also keep my box blade on the 3pt for a bit of push power and scraping away from the three car garage and the house doors and pathways. Along with a grapple, backhoe, and tiller I spent around 33K for my big boy red toy brand new. Financed for 6 years at 0% through Mahindra Finance it's the best thing I've ever purchased.

/ Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #66  
I was just pricing out a snowplow for my truck, and the price came to around $5200 for an eight foot steel plow and stuff.

Does the average homeowner or backyard farmer spend that kind of money on snow removal stuff, or is the purchase of plows limited to people who do this to make money?

Do people spend $5000 on accessories for a tractor or is that too much money for most tractor folks?

Thanks
I use a pull type snow blower on my 700 foot driveway. It is far too hard on my neck to turn around and go backwards with a regular 3 point snow blower. I bought it in about 2010 before I retired as an equipment dealer. Paid about $2200 back then. Don't know how much they are now. It works very well but I never let more then about a foot of snow build up because you do have to drive through it with the tractor first. I have the 68" one at this page. Meteor Pull Type

/ Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #67  
I paid about $3500 for a snowplow rig for my Mahindra 1626 and $250 for tire chains two years ago. One-third mile gravel driveway ending in a steep hill. The plowman is an old friend and charges me $100, so call it a thousand dollars for an average winter. But the problem is as stated above: who wants to be snowed in for a day? Plus the plowman with all the good will in the world tears up my lawn. I'll do it myself as long as I'm able.

I considered a snowblower, but they are rear-mounted. Can't imagine doing 2/3 mile with my head turned 180 degrees, and anyhow I'd probably spend a small fortune in shear pins.

/ Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #68  

Thanks
Roger I just purchased a tractor and a front blower which was way more than I planed on spending. Of course I'll be able to use it for other things. Northern WI gets snow! I will be living there year round soon. It was necessary as no one was willing to clear my 500 foot driveway because I'm either too far from town or the driveway is too steep. My situation is probably not average, but conditions will determine what will be required of you needs. Consider it an investment in your property and a convenience to be able to get out when you want as opposed to waiting for someone else. What will it cost to hire someone and how often? over how many years? As others have said, your truck will take a beating!
Good luck

/ Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #69  
In addition to all the points brought up by others, how particular are you about how the snow is removed and any potential lawn damage?

Hiring a snow removal company may cost less in dollars spent and time required. But you will not find a commercial snow plower that will provide as clean a job as you would by doing it yourself. They will remove 98% of the snow but there will be small piles and missed spots which have the potential of softening if temperatures rise and refreezing into a solid chunk of ice that becomes one with the driveway.

Do you have nice lawn by the driveway? Are you okay replacing divots when spring arrives? A contractor doesn't know your driveway as well as you and is more likely to veer off the drive and dig up the turf. If you're particular on these points it could very well be worth the expense to buy your own equipment.

A final point, you are looking at an 8' plow for your truck. That is probably oversize for most home driveways. A full size pickup with plow is a long, wide piece of equipment. A smaller plow is more maneuverable. I use a 6 1/2' snowplow taken off a truck on my 34hp CUT and a 4' blade on my garden tractor for clean up and tight quarters near the house and for sidewalks.

/ Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #70  
Roger I just purchased a tractor and a front blower which was way more than I planed on spending. Of course I'll be able to use it for other things. Northern WI gets snow! I will be living there year round soon. It was necessary as no one was willing to clear my 500 foot driveway because I'm either too far from town or the driveway is too steep. My situation is probably not average, but conditions will determine what will be required of you needs. Consider it an investment in your property and a convenience to be able to get out when you want as opposed to waiting for someone else. What will it cost to hire someone and how often? over how many years? As others have said, your truck will take a beating!
Good luck
Where in northern WI are you?