Do I go with R4' or Turf tires?

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #51  
Just moved 18" of lake effect snow here in WNY with the Titan Multi Trac R-3 tires. I can;t understand why people would say loaded turf tires stink in snow???

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #52  
The only folks truley happy with R-4 tires are those who use them for the "industrial" usage for which they were designed. Almost any CUT operator would be better served off the lawn with R1's or on it with turfs. R4's do a sloppy job in both places but are bit better than R1's on the lawn and better than turfs, off of it. It sounds to me like turfs and a set of chains would be the best choice for your application.

Wolc, I am glad you can speak for me.
Here I thought I was perfectly happy with my R-4's until you spoke for me

:confused2:

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #53  
I looking at a Kubota B2920 that comes standard with R4's to get turf tires cost is approx 200.00 more. 60% will be used to mow 3 acrea country yard with remaining 40% for snow blowing long driveway, misc loader work and a few gardens tilled in spring. Concerned if the R4's on this unit would be hard on the yard in the spring mowing when ground is softer from rains ect... Any real world use recommondations would be helpful.

R4. I went through the same decision and had many tell me the R4's would be horrible.

Wrong!

I mow a considerable plot and have NO issues unless not paying attention and allow the tractor to spin. You do need to be a little more careful when turning against the locks or if in 4wd. But, for the small percentage of time I spend moving snow, pulling wood, or even out "four wheeling" with my Little Guy, (Safety Poliza need not comment!) the R4's are more than worth it. They are also a tougher carcassed tire. I've had one leak in 4 years of hard use and that's because I cleaned the stem off on an errant stick in the woods. I have spares now! (And Rim Guard tastes HORRIBLE!)

One trade off? The ride. They don't have the bounce of turfs.

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #54  
All R1's are not created equal, nor are all R3's or R4's; Joe

Buyer definetly needs to do homework here, like I did. There are many styles of R1 tires available, but usually only 1 type offered by tractor manufactuer in case of CUT's. I cannot comment on R4's, but usually only 1 type offered by tractor manufacturer, in case of CUT's. In the case of the Kubota Grand Lxx40 series, they offer 3 types of turf tires. One type is 'golf corse' type, wide, floatation, not very deep lugs, thin carcus. One type is recangle or diamond pattern, not a good overall tire in my opinion. One type is what I have, very deep tread, many bittting edges, siping. These are Titan Multi-Trac C/S 'The Grizz'. I agree, not all tires are created equal. Philip.

Attachments

• TIRES16.jpg
    TIRES16.jpg
    890.1 KB · Views: 315