Do I need a general contractor to build a house?

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #51  
That might be true some places but the building inspectors here maintain a high quality standard.
We're located in county and not a single inspection during or after my build other than for septic.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #52  
I designed and built my own house, contracted out some parts, did a lot myself. I had a good friend who is a builder suggest some subs, I used some of them, found others from friends.
Having designed the house I created a spreadsheet of every item I needed, I knew how much of everything I needed. Even items I subbed like drywall, I knew how many sf I needed. I pulled all permits.
Biggest issue is if you have a bank involved.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #53  
We're located in county and not a single inspection during or after my build other than for septic.

My county has had building inspections for the county for about 10 years. The much more rural bordering county just hired one.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #54  
I designed and built my place. Some items were sub-contracted, many were done by me.

Contracted:
-excavation
-foundation
-framing (SIPs crew)
-roofing
-siding
-rough plumbing (had to have a licensed plumber so it by state code)
-drywall/mudding
-spray foam and other insulation

Done by me
-install windows/doors
-exterior stone
-rough landscaping
-some drywall hanging, no taping
-electric
-gas plumbing
-HVAC
-flooring
-painting, in and out
- tile, wood and all finished floor except a small bit of carpet
-all finish work

Now I am doubly crazy as I built all the cabinets, interior doors and all woodwork. But I'm also still not done with several doors and trim and we started in 2013. Still working on it but much slower than the early stages...but I keep progressing.

Many excellent points raised by others here like you don't know to ask what you don't know but I found subs not to be too bad overall. My SIPs framer was an acquaintance and he helped me pick several subs from his experience. If you can find or know someone like that, it can be a huge step forward on finding subs. Our inspector was a class A jerk but at the end would concede on many items if you pushed back professionally on some of his odd asks. I also quickly realized he barely read the plans when he would show up and say you forgot "this" on an inspection, and I would say it is exactly per plan. Then he would start tap dancing. Sometimes I would go along if it made sense and was reasonable, other times, not.

Decision to contract was made mostly for 3 reasons: 1. Time 2. Expertise (I don't have a spray foam truck) or 3.regulations (plumbers). #1 was a big reason early on to get the shell up and dried-in quickly. Then you can at least breathe a bit.

And if you want to read chapter and verse, my house build blog is in my sig with all the gory details.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #55  
I acted as GC for my house, but at the time our county only required an inspection for septic, which was already there. I contracted out the excavation, foundation, framing, roofing, and drywall. I did everything else.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house?
I designed and built my place. Some items were sub-contracted, many were done by me.

Contracted:
-excavation
-foundation
-framing (SIPs crew)
-roofing
-siding
-rough plumbing (had to have a licensed plumber so it by state code)
-drywall/mudding
-spray foam and other insulation

Done by me
-install windows/doors
-exterior stone
-rough landscaping
-some drywall hanging, no taping
-electric
-gas plumbing
-HVAC
-flooring
-painting, in and out
- tile, wood and all finished floor except a small bit of carpet
-all finish work

Now I am doubly crazy as I built all the cabinets, interior doors and all woodwork. But I'm also still not done with several doors and trim and we started in 2013. Still working on it but much slower than the early stages...but I keep progressing.

Many excellent points raised by others here like you don't know to ask what you don't know but I found subs not to be too bad overall. My SIPs framer was an acquaintance and he helped me pick several subs from his experience. If you can find or know someone like that, it can be a huge step forward on finding subs. Our inspector was a class A jerk but at the end would concede on many items if you pushed back professionally on some of his odd asks. I also quickly realized he barely read the plans when he would show up and say you forgot "this" on an inspection, and I would say it is exactly per plan. Then he would start tap dancing. Sometimes I would go along if it made sense and was reasonable, other times, not.

Decision to contract was made mostly for 3 reasons: 1. Time 2. Expertise (I don't have a spray foam truck) or 3.regulations (plumbers). #1 was a big reason early on to get the shell up and dried-in quickly. Then you can at least breathe a bit.

And if you want to read chapter and verse, my house build blog is in my sig with all the gory details.
Thanks, that is a great list. Once we are moved in, I will finish the basement walls, floors, and kitchen myself.
But I want to move in by next fall and sell the existing house hopefully before the bubble bursts so I will sub out nearly all that it takes to make it by then.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #57  
We hired a design/build contractor 6 years ago precisely because I knew zero subs, and knew that finding them all would be a nightmare. My contractor got to choose between his closest couple subs for each trade and have them in to our build on time, with a very fair price each. If I had to interview 3 or 4 subs for each trade, and then evaluate who was being fair on price, or who would do a good job or not, it would have taken forever and been really draining on me and my wife.

But we did things sorta differently, and built on a "time & materials" pricing basis, where I stopped by the build nearly every day to inspect, help clean up, sort materials, and look out for pitfalls or conflicts between subs.

Now, if we decide to move forward on an addition to our cozy house, I will probably be the GC, because it can go slower / more relaxed, and because prices for materials and labor now are rather insane compared for just 6 years ago when we built. Plus I learned SO much just from observing our entire build process and helping act as GC.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #58  
I have two perspectives on this since I have GC'd my own house, a garage, and the remodeling of a second home and several investment properties we own and I was in the code enforcement field as well.

IMO being a GC is basically a management process. You need to be able to understand the work flow process and plan accordingly to ensure each step in the process is done properly in the correct sequence and you need to be able to manage the "people" part of the process which are your subs.

There are several good books about being a DYI GC. Look around and pick up a couple to read so you can make a rational decision about your ability to do what you want to do.

I would use a local designer to do the plans if there are any in your area. They should know the applicable codes and what the code enforcement office wants for plans.

Good planning will resolve the work flow issue. Make a written work plan and stick to it. Being organized is paramount. I use notebooks to manage projects. My son uses his phone; lose the phone or have it fail and you are screwed. Buy the plastic sheets that allow you to keep business cards in them, keep copies of all the paperwork and supply orders, etc. in there so you have ready access to them.

Managing the people is the tough part. You will need to stay on top of your subs to make sure they show up when they say they will and they do the work you have agreed they will do and this really starts with getting the best subs you can find.

I found word of mouth from my subs was one of the best ways to find other subs. Ask around and if you happen to know someone in the local code enforcement office ask them as well. If you know of any other DYI GC projects around ask the homeowner about subs and what they did well and not so well. I was lucky enough to have two friends and co-workers who had just built their houses to ask for what was invaluable advice.

You must be willing to pay for what you are asking for. Don't go for the lowest bid unless you are sure the work will meet your standards. I told any sub I was seeking a bid from to give me their best price first since I do not negotiate pricing. Either the sub can do the job well for the price they are asking or they will not get the job. If all the bids exceed your budget you probably need to go back and examine your expectations.

If the sub is not doing the work correctly after you have spoken to them about the deficiencies cut your losses and fire them. It sucks and it will kill your schedule, but you need to hold them accountable or live with their crappy work for as long as you own the house.

My experience as a code enforcement professional as well as a builder tells me that most building offices and inspectors are willing to work with a home owner. You must be on the jobsite when the inspector is doing the inspection. If something is incorrect ask him/her what is wrong and if you do not understand/agree ask which code section you have violated (which should be cited on the notice of violation as well). Obviously do not argue with the inspector, but if you feel he/she is incorrect call the office and ask to speak to a supervisor. The inspectors are human and have good/bad days just like the rest of us.

Check out your local building official's web site to see if they provide a list of what they need to do the plan review including any required engineering stamps, what permits are required, the permits cost, and the inspection sequence. Most offices will take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months (or more) to get a permit approved, so plan on that.

Get a copy of the building code your jurisdiction uses, most likely the International Residential Code, and make sure you know which version they are enforcing since most jurisdictions are one or two code cycles behind the latest code. (Your plans should call out the code they were drawn for) Make sure you are using the locally modified code as well if your state allows local modifications. The code may be on-line as it is here in Virginia.

And finally, and most importantly, you need to decide if you and your spouse are willing to do this together. Building our own house was one of the most stressful endeavors we ever took on as a couple and you need to understand and acknowledge that right up front.

One piece of advice my friend gave me was to leave one stump out front so you would have a place to go worry and cry each night. The other said to buy a cheap circular saw and tape the switch in the on position so you could turn it on in the morning to keep you from hearing your spouse complain about anything while you were working.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #59  
Along the lines of building inspectors - in a rural area they might be OK, but in my Fairfax County area I met some Prima Donnas and major PITA's.
On one remodel "inspector A" tried to tell me I had to tear down a shed because it was to close to the property line. The shed had been there for 40 years. They had changed the setback requirements 10 years ago. I had to go up two supervisor levels before I found someone to tell "inspector A" that all structures like that had been "grandfathered in".
Another was demanding my contractor change the wiring, until my contractor pointed that was old code which had changed.
But you got to do what they tell you to if you want to pass.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #60  
And finally, and most importantly, you need to decide if you and your spouse are willing to do this together. Building our own house was one of the most stressful endeavors we ever took on as a couple and you need to understand and acknowledge that right up front.

One piece of advice my friend gave me was to leave one stump out front so you would have a place to go worry and cry each night. The other said to buy a cheap circular saw and tape the switch in the on position so you could turn it on in the morning to keep you from hearing your spouse complain about anything while you were woworking.
I was lucky in that both our home and wedding venue build my wife and I got along great. I have read that it can be one of the most stressful times for a marriage but we found none of that. While exhausting for me, especially the wedding venue due to a hard finish deadline, it was a great experience for both of us. We both have similar tastes and ideas though so there was very little disagreement on anything.