Do I need load range E tires?

/ Do I need load range E tires? #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I bought a used Nissan Titan about 5 years ago. The OEM tires were shot and I got a decent price on some load range E all terrain tires and that is what has been on the truck since then. They have been great in terms of towing and okay off road (about what you would expect for an all terrain tire). The highway ride is okay but on any bumps or irregularities it is harsh and it even makes the steering jittery over rough hard top.

This truck has more flaws than strengths but it could be that its the tires and not the trucks fault in this particular issue. When not towing I keep the recommended 35 psi in them. Depending on the tow load I might put as much as 60 in them but usually 50 psi. They are rated at 80 psi.

Now they are getting close to needing replacement and I'm wondering if I need load range E tires.

The truck is rated at 9000 pounds towing. My 19 foot trailer is rated at a total weight of 7500. I occasionally pull that much but usually closer to 5000 is my typical load.

So my question is, can I get by with load range D tires? Are they likely to ride any better?

/ Do I need load range E tires? #2  
You can get by with standard load tires, B or C range, of course now they are all load index rated;
1667868637159.png

A decent article on tire capacities and such,
https://simpletire.com/learn/tire-buying-guides/the-load-rating

/ Do I need load range E tires?
Thanks. That is helpful.

/ Do I need load range E tires? #4  
How much time do you spend on dirt roads? If little or none, a "P" rated (passenger) tire (as is OEM on most half-ton pickups) will do just fine and give you better fuel mileage and ride better.

My F150 wears LT tires, load range E - but that's because it spends most of its time on dirt roads (not much pavement in my part of the country). And those "P" rated tires just don't hold up to the dirt roads.
P1017413er.jpg

/ Do I need load range E tires? #5  
I wouldn’t think the load range would change the ride as you describe it.

I used to keep the E load tires on my truck at 72 psi all the time - plowing, towing, and empty.

Empty pickups can also drive really squirrelly when the bed is empty. Just putting a few hundred pounds in the bed over the rear axle always seems to improve the ride.

It’s quite possible that the actual truck suspension is getting worn out too.

Also keep in mind thst trucks generally are not going to drive as smooth as a car since they have a tougher truck suspension

/ Do I need load range E tires? #6  
My 2018 Ram 2500 Power Wagon came with load range E off-road tires. Recommended pressure - 65 psi. On rough roads it rides rough - on smooth roads it rides smooth. If you want a smoother ride - go to a lower load range and lower tire pressure.

I'm completely satisfied with the way my Power Wagon rides. When I bought it - brand new - I never expected it to ride like a Cadillac and it doesn't.

It's a 7540# vehicle with off-road suspension and frame and it rides accordingly.

/ Do I need load range E tires? #7  
This truck has more flaws than strengths but it could be that its the tires and not the trucks fault in this particular issue. When not towing I keep the recommended 35 psi in them. Depending on the tow load I might put as much as 60 in them but usually 50 psi. They are rated at 80 psi.
35 psi in a E rated tire when not loaded, that's way low pressure for that tire. I'm surprised if you don't have abnormal wear issues with that. You have to run more pressure in a E to get the same inflation as p-rated tires, because of the thicker tread and sidewall construction..
45- 55 psi is normally a happy place for e-rates when not loaded. I wouldn't go below 45 psi..
A D-rated tire will also do you just fine when towing, with a little less stiffness in the sidewall construction..
P and C rated tires wonder around a bit much when towing for myself.. unless you are using more wheel and less tire. Hence 20-22" diameter wheels..
I prefer 17-18" diameter wheels for more sidewall when off-road and e-rated tires deliver with rugged sidewall construction..
Also if you have 20" diameter wheels or larger the ride will suffer somewhat no matter what rated tire you have.. just not enough rubber between wheel and road unless you are running really large diameter tires.. like 35"..37" tires.

Last edited:
   / Do I need load range E tires? #8  
No you dont "need" them. But it doesnt hurt to have them and they are more forgiving of inflation pressure changes, and being a heavier tire, hitting a rock or pot-hole they are alot more durable tire

/ Do I need load range E tires? #9  
I had a 1/2 ton Ram I put load range E tires on. I think I ran lower pressures than max but still something like 50 psi. It hurt the ride a lot. Switching to a lower rated tire will help a lot. I agree though, E tires are tougher.