Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres?

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #62  
To the OP. For a smaller lot, you can get away without a tractor. (I'd put myself in that category with only 5 acres) Given this IS a tractor forum, most answers will say "YES ... YOU NEED ONE AND BIGGER IS USUALLY BETTER & SAFER." Realistically, it will make life easier for you ... IF you have tasks a tractor is best suited for, and the cost won't put you up a creek on other areas of life. I'm not convinced a mid-mount mower is one of those tasks, I prefer my ZT, but to each his own. The garden tilling on the other hand will definitely benefit (you need to figure out how big a tiller you need/want & size the tractor PTO HP to the tiller & your soil ... or do multiple passes with a smaller tiller & deal with the tire ruts afterwards), as will moving heavy stuff/deliveries/and lifting supplies (I've used my FEL and Forks to get supplies up so I could repair a roof after Storm damage, and I've used them as "non-OSHA approved" man-lifts for tree trimming). The tractor will do your tilling faster than a walk behind tiller, just not sure it'll be the most economic option unless you have other uses for the tractor. Driveway maintenance is another thing that will benefit, but the tractor you mentioned is a bit light IMO to pull much gravel, but definitely better than a shovel. FEL is very convenient, but a wheelbarrow or garden tractor dump trailer are ALMOST as convenient & a lot cheaper. I grew up on 8 acres --half wooded/half lawn with a 500 ft steep driveway we needed to snowblow all winter in the snow belt & we did everything with a Jacobsen garden tractor. Everything is a trade-off. Smaller tractor/more affordable but less capable (more time required). Bigger tractor/more expensive and more capable. (attachment costs grow with the tractor costs as well if you want to take full advantage of the capabilities) You know your current needs, & if the 1705 meets all those needs, fine go for it. One thing to keep in mind is your future needs. Is this the biggest property you will ever own? Any plans for wood lots/hunting properties/or more acreage? Do you have a barn/shed for storage/work area? will you want to build one? Will your car/SUV/PU be able to tow whatever you buy should service be needed or are you going to pay for hauling as well? I would rather be too big than too small, but I do push limits on everything I own AND my truck/trailer can handle pretty much any towing needs I have unless I upgrade my license to a class A ... YMMV. Granted, the tractor you buy now may very well hold its value if you maintain and store it right, but you don't know what the cost (or availability) of upgrade tractors will do. (I'll bet there are lots of guys on here that traded/sold pre-emissions tractors for early Tier 4 that are ruing that decision after the fact. Later Tier 4 isn't as problematic, but definitely not as easy to work on as the older stuff.) If you wind up needing something bigger in the next few years, going bigger now may make more sense ... even if it is too big for current needs & costs you a nice gift/doghouse time on the wife front. Worse comes to worse, do what the rest of us do & lie to her about the actual cost while upselling the uses. Works for me on all the expensive tools & toys I've ever bought, BUT, I'm also the one handling all the bills at the same time.

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #63  
I don't think if you get a tractor you will
ever say gee I wish I didn't get it!

way too many thinks you can do with a
tractor with the attachments that a lawn
mower can't handle!!!

willy

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #64  
OP,

Chalk it up to a bit of each, cabin fever, winter doldrums, etc. The guy might have a lot on his own plate right now, not really anything to do with you. Winter (off season) around here gets a lot of people cranky as they're all cooped up and waiting for the season change so they can get back out there in the fields again, get projects done, etc.

I think a tractor with a front end loader and a set of pallet forks can be worth it's weight in gold. I can't tell you how many times I've used them for "not tractor" stuff. I think the last time was setting an old washer and dryer in the bed of my truck (by myself, didn't need to ask anyone for help) so I could then haul them to the dump. You'll find once you have them that they are extremely useful to you in ways you hadn't yet thought of.

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #65  
I purchased my BX2680 for mowing my lawn. I already had a bigger JD for everything else. I have 13 acres and could probably make do with the smaller tractor. They are very impressive little tractors. Make sure you get the loader. If you never had a front-end loader, you are going to fall in love all over again. Everyone I have talked to say they don't know how they lived without one.

Dave

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres?
OP,

Chalk it up to a bit of each, cabin fever, winter doldrums, etc. The guy might have a lot on his own plate right now, not really anything to do with you. Winter (off season) around here gets a lot of people cranky as they're all cooped up and waiting for the season change so they can get back out there in the fields again, get projects done, etc.

I think a tractor with a front end loader and a set of pallet forks can be worth it's weight in gold. I can't tell you how many times I've used them for "not tractor" stuff. I think the last time was setting an old washer and dryer in the bed of my truck (by myself, didn't need to ask anyone for help) so I could then haul them to the dump. You'll find once you have them that they are extremely useful to you in ways you hadn't yet thought of.
Just hope I wasn't too hard on the fella lol,

As for the tractor most definitely, I'm currently going around and writing a list of things that it could be used for, aswell as price justifications. Mainly to convince my wife haha.

After today however, I really understand the use, as we ordered a contractor to smooth out the lawn (a month or two ago) and specifically paid more to get no rocks nor debris as it was the lawn. Que getting rocks, and smashing the deck of our lawn mower up when I ran over a piece of concrete. Best part is said lawn isn't even level, so I really am focused on getting a bucket, just for the usefulness of not having to deal with all that again.

With our recent bathroom renovation coming up, I have a feeling a tractor that's able to move those said tiles will be of extrodinary use. Especially when you factor in that moving them will be hell

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres?
I purchased my BX2680 for mowing my lawn. I already had a bigger JD for everything else. I have 13 acres and could probably make do with the smaller tractor. They are very impressive little tractors. Make sure you get the loader. If you never had a front-end loader, you are going to fall in love all over again. Everyone I have talked to say they don't know how they lived without one.

Dave
FEL is most definitely a buy, and I'm probably going to add a backhoe onto it too. Alot of my friends/people on other forums have advised me to buy new,and where I am it's 30% deposit and 24months, so in reality it's somewhat similar price really. Especially with warranty ect, biggest part is convincing my wife now.

Bit I imagine once it's delivered, it'll prove it's worth. But first is to get the 10K in funds haha

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #70  
Thread pruned. Please continue with the original discussion.