Do you get what you pay for with cylinders?

/ Do you get what you pay for with cylinders? #1  

MGH PA

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 Gravely 148Z 48" ZTR
First off, I want to thank everyone here for the help/advice last year for the log splitter build for our cabin (thread here). That splitter came out excellent, and we ended up using it quite a bit this fall splitting some very large pieces and it handled them very well (ended up with a 41" split capacity with a lifter arm and all).

The manufacturing teacher at our school who built that one (I just speced the parts) is looking to build another with this students (this will be their 6th or 7th), and so my father and I are going to spec one for our own use (it's time...we're tired of hand splitting). It will be a much more scaled build compared to last years, and I'm thinking it will essentially be a simple 26" capacity (24" Cylinder), plate into fixed wedge, 16GPM Haldex, 8-10HP recoil start.

I'm wanting to go with a 4" cylinder and preferably a 2" rod. Most 4" cylinders that are in the $200-$300 are 1.5"-1.75". I want a 2" for the extra strength and to aid a little in return speed. My question is this. Split-Ez has a 24" cylinder with a 2" rod for $267 shipped. Northern has a Prince 24" with a 2" (4.5" bore) for almost $200 more. I suppose two question can be derived here. Do I need the 2" shaft with such a short stroke? If I do, am I better paying more for the Prince than the no-name brand on Split-Ez?

/ Do you get what you pay for with cylinders? #2  
The 2" rod isn't necessary, but you do need to make sure you have a solid method of keeping the push plate secure with the beam.

I have also often wondered why they don't commonly make these cylinders with even larger rods. Like a 3" rod on a 4" cyl?? Not for strength, but speed.

But to answer the title question, yes you get what you pay for. The prince will likely last twice as long. But for a splitter that only sees ocassional use, the cheaper ones will last 10years plus. So is it worth it??? You be the judge.

But in an Indusrtial setting, where a cylinder may cycle several tiles an hour, 24/7/365, it is post definatally worth paying the premium for a quality prince, parker, Milwaukee, etc.

/ Do you get what you pay for with cylinders? #3  
For reference the NFPA Tie Rod cylinder standard for a 4" bore cylinder is 1 3/4" rod.

/ Do you get what you pay for with cylinders?
   / Do you get what you pay for with cylinders? #7  
I have also often wondered why they don't commonly make these cylinders with even larger rods. Like a 3" rod on a 4" cyl?? Not for strength, but speed.

i'd guess the log splitter market (though reasonably large) might be the only use for one of these. a rod that large would essentially make the cylinder a single acting unit. the loss of diameter on the back side would mean you could only use it where you have minimal resistance on the backstroke, like a splitter. there are probably other uses, but it would be limited.

i know time is money, but with me i'm a single man splitting operation, so the return speed is usually irrelevant. between picking up the split pieces and getting the next round, the cylinder has usually returned. i also only split 16" so i built my splitter with an 18" cylinder. the 24" would be a lot of wasted time if i had to take up 8" every piece. i'm running a 3 1/2"x18" on a 5~6 gpm single stage pump, so i'm the exception to the rule around here. what works for me wouldn't interest most people.

/ Do you get what you pay for with cylinders? #8  
Do you get what you pay for?

That question is debatable.

Most times, but is no guarantee it will happen every time.

Two people buying the same brand, one cyl might last 2 to 15 years, and the other start leaking in six months.

You might read the warranty carefully for the cyl you are lookig at, and then base your decision on price.

Name brands are supposed to be good, but that is not to say that a new start company making hyd cyl can't make a good cyl.

If there was a known bad cyl brand out there, someone would know about it.

I have a new cyl with the shaft extended that was left outside to the elements, and the shaft is rusted badly. To me that shows bad quality, but you would not know that until you had seen it or someone told you about it.

There are cyl out there 40 yr + old and still perform good to perfect.

Most people would base the selection on what it can do and price. No one is going to advertise a bad cyl.

wdchyd can probably tell you what you want to know about cyl.

Last edited:
   / Do you get what you pay for with cylinders?
Thanks, everyone. I think I'm going to give Chief a shot. I want a bigger diameter rod, but I don't really want to pay almost $500 for the Prince for the weekend warrior use it will see.

/ Do you get what you pay for with cylinders? #10  
I think surplus center.com has cylinders specifically for logsplitters. Not sure if they have the larger rod though