Do you have any Oil/Fluid changing time saving efficiency tips?

/ Do you have any Oil/Fluid changing time saving efficiency tips? #21  
On big filters & especially diesel, drilling ~1/4" hole at the low point in the filter housing and letting it drain into a pan gets rid of the weight and the mess
That's a good idea. Even better would be if you could do it like a "hot tap" for attaching lines to an existing, flowing line, e.g. hot tap and have a flow out of the tapped hole all in one shot. Might even try drilling out the Miata's oil filter. It's a mess to get it off without having oil all over the place. Have used a zip loc bag over it but requires good technique.

/ Do you have any Oil/Fluid changing time saving efficiency tips? #24  
You bet I have a tip. Install these. Be sure and get the one with a nipple where a hose can be mounted. I save laundry and milk jugs and fill them as oil drain's. Save's the mess.
Yes, a Fumoto with nipple will use a 1/2" vinyl hose to directly fill your choice of bottle. Vinyl hose is cheap enough you can throw away after every use.

Years ago I had a Powerstroke F-250. Fitted a Fumoto. Could stand a 1 gallon empty Rotella jug under and still needed vinyl hose. The Fumoto drained slower but the factory plug was pretty large so oil rushed out and splashed. With the Fumoto I would fill one jug, turn it off, next jug, repeat for total of 15 quarts. No pan to clean.

My Subaru also has a large drain bolt. Oil gushes out nearly horizontal. On a lift with a pan held to the engine its not bad but makes huge mess in the driveway. Fumoto with vinyl hose won't fill a bottle but it does great with traditional drain pan.

/ Do you have any Oil/Fluid changing time saving efficiency tips? #25  
Actually one of the biggest time savers for you would be an engine oil analyzer. If you are like most people, you change the oil, especially in small engines, way more often than is necessary under the not necessarily true premise of being conscientious. What could possibly save you more time than not doing it?

/ Do you have any Oil/Fluid changing time saving efficiency tips? #26  
I got a used meat pan/carrier to catch any spills. My old Honda motorcycles have cartridge filters, there is no way taking them off without spilling. This pan catches it all.

Attachments

• 200179c.jpg
    200179c.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 91
   / Do you have any Oil/Fluid changing time saving efficiency tips? #27  
For filters mounted on the side I take some aluminum foil and fold it into multiple layers to form trough under the filter to the drain pan. I still sometimes get a little oil on the side of the engine block but not the hugh mess I get if not using it. Especially on the old GMC K3500 truck where the oil filter drains all over the front differential.

/ Do you have any Oil/Fluid changing time saving efficiency tips? #28  
What could possibly save you more time than not doing it? Yep, my thoughts too. Oil sampling and a longlife Oil like some of the Amsoil products. I Easily go double, triple the OEM interval, and have for many years. Even then I still change Oil sometimes before it’s advised by sampling... Dutchy

/ Do you have any Oil/Fluid changing time saving efficiency tips? #29  
My first hydraulic oil change. I was prepared with multiple 5-gallon buckets. Then I realized - a bucket full of oil was going to be a real bear to move, without spilling. Ended up using a 25 gallon TupperWare quilt tub. The M6040 holds 16+ gallons of hydraulic oil.

/ Do you have any Oil/Fluid changing time saving efficiency tips? #30  
First, buy a shop air powered oil extractor, the type that sucks out the oil through a tube extended down the dipstick tube. No more drain pans to clean. No more copper washers to buy.

Next, make sure the machine is full before you start, and measure what you remove. This should make it really easy to pre-measure and fill without checking and rechecking.