Do you know what the purple paint law is?

/ Do you know what the purple paint law is? #151  
Trespassing to me is so strange. Where I grew up (Virginia) in 1950s we knew all the neighbors. Fellow who owned land all around us had 2500 acres and told us we were welcome anytime walk/bicycle his miles of trails. We respected his property.
I always asked any homeowner before trespassing on their property.
No one ever said no.
A few years ago I bought adjacent land here which was a zoo...ATVs, cows, hunters, etc.
I put signs everywhere. Strangers would say "can I hunt?". No introduction, name, etc.
The answer was no.
How difficult is it to approach the landowner, shake hands, say who you are, address, etc.?
I've had a couple people come to my house near the city to ask if they could hunt on our vacant land out in the county. They actually took the time to look up who owned the property through the county GIS system and contacted me. I told them no, but not because I was being selfish or anti-hunting, but that I had already given permission to my neighbor to hunt the land. And I thanked them for taking the time to do the right thing. Both times it was younger guys looking for a place to hunt. Good to see that.

/ Do you know what the purple paint law is?
Also in Texas, a fence is notice. Precedent says it still counts even if not “well maintained” as long as it was visibly fenced (to account for a storm knocking a tree over and taking out a section, etc). If you want to come to Texas and cross a fence my advice is don’t do it. Purple paint or now won’t matter, you’ll likely be looking up the wrong end of a blued barrel. And the landowner who put up the fence is in the right.
BFD.

Since you live in Texas, it would be nice if you knew your own state laws when applying deadly force.

End of the day, anyone with common sense would know that if they are intentionally tresspassing, they could be looking at the of a barrel (they don't use stainless in texas? LMAO?).

/ Do you know what the purple paint law is? #154  
How difficult is it to approach the landowner, shake hands, say who you are, address, etc.?

Another easy and simple solution.

But, it seems, rarely used v. just doing whatever people want wherever they like.

MoKelly

We lived in Alaska - 1960 until 1982. The laws may have changed now - but back then it was this way.

Trespass was consider a criminal incident. It did not matter if you lived on a 1/4 acre or a 360 acre homestead.

Being a criminal incident, equal to breaking and entering with the intent to do grievous bodily harm - the land owner had the right to repel with deadly force.

There was a very nice family ( British - he worked for BP during the pipeline fiasco ) lived just down the road from our house - they had two teenage boys. They were up north near Talkeetna - moose hunting. Walking down a back woods road. They walked into the bush - off this back woods road.

Unknowingly, they had walked onto homestead land. The homesteader, for whatever reason, shot them both - dead. He even got on the Muckluk telegraph and notified the State Police.

This was around 1978, as I remember. It made the papers in Anchorage.

It was a damn shame, but there was not a thing that the legal system could do to the homesteader.

In those days, in AK - you had best take trespass seriously. There were homesteaders who certainly did.

I have no idea what the laws regarding trespass are in AK today. However - it's best to know exactly where you are and where you plan on going.
I would have loved to see the article.

Alaska seems interesting... From what I've read, the short answer is today, the person you refered to would most likely be tried and convicted.

Honestly, who in their right mind, if you have 10, 20 or 100 acres of property would shoot someone dead if they were tresspassing on your land if they posed no threat to you or your loved ones and were only on your land?

Even the drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks (let along further north) will tell you there are some interesting people living off the dirt roads in Alasks. I view Alaska no different than West Virginia, Western NC or the Adirondacks in NY state or Idaho or Montana though. IF there are no tresspassing signs, unless you life depends on it, no reason to tresspass.

/ Do you know what the purple paint law is? #156  
BFD.

Since you live in Texas, it would be nice if you knew your own state laws when applying deadly force.

End of the day, anyone with common sense would know that if they are intentionally tresspassing, they could be looking at the of a barrel (they don't use stainless in texas? LMAO?).
Nice! Another internet warrior.

I DO know my laws. I didn’t say I’d draw the gun although in many circumstances I could indeed use deadly force (ever heard of the Texas version of castle doctrine?). My property, my perception of threat
You on my land in the middle of nowhere? I don’t think a local sheriff is going to think too hard about this one.

The point I was trying to make, apparently lost on you, was that Texas still has a lot of frontier justice mentality especially in rural areas. And the blued reference was in deference to the OP title - stainless? Why would I use stainless on a 12 gauge?

LMAO indeed

don’t bother posting I’m outta this thread. I’m interested in a tractor forum not gun laws or politics around it.

Nice! Another internet warrior.

I DO know my laws. I didn’t say I’d draw the gun although in many circumstances I could indeed use deadly force (ever heard of the Texas version of castle doctrine?). My property, my perception of threat
You on my land in the middle of nowhere? I don’t think a local sheriff is going to think too hard about this one.

The point I was trying to make, apparently lost on you, was that Texas still has a lot of frontier justice mentality especially in rural areas. And the blued reference was in deference to the OP title - stainless? Why would I use stainless on a 12 gauge?

LMAO indeed

don’t bother posting I’m outta this thread. I’m interested in a tractor forum not gun laws or politics around it.
1 - Not an internet warrior, just call BS when I see or hear BS.

2 - Generally speaking, if I'm looking down the barrel of a gun, don't know about you, but I'd assume the gun is drawn and pointed at me.

3 - I'd respectfully argue that you don't know your state laws and the difference between castle doctrine and private property.

4 - My point that apparently was lost on you was I was hoping you could elablorate on is where your "frontier justice" has to do with shooting tresspassers on your property and NOT in your home if they aren't in the process of trying to steel something.

You may be out, but I'm hoping someone can show me from Texas on case law where you're allowed to shoot somone on private property no where around your house only for the reason that they were trespassing and nothine else.

How about that purple paint! Sorry for the derailment.
I'm certain this thread is the only one that has ever been derailed 🤣

At the end of the day it all comes down to discipline we have as adults to respect the property of others.

I had the same talk with one of my boys when he asked me if the tree stand I was taking down was mine, and I said no, and explained why I was taking the tree stand down.

Like yourself, I have other people who hunt on my property, but the proper procedure is to always ask for permission first.

Our property has a river running all along the border. It’s a reasonably big river and most traffic are small boats with outboards.

However, there are a few floaters in summer.

There is a very nice gravel bar on our property. We use it a lot for afternoon bbq’s and bonfires. We have signs posted.

For the most part, all is fine. Every once in a while it’s clear folks stop and eat and drink on their float trip.

One day, we drive down on the ATV’s for dinner and there is a group (maybe 10) young adults there with 5 canoes drug ashore. They are drinking and had built a rotisserie, started a fire and were cooking ribs!

So —- I say “did ya’ll see the signs”? They say “uh yea but it’s such a nice stopping point”. Well, they are honest.

Turns out they were good kids and they offered to share some ribs. We had a good talk, ate some ribs and corn, they cleaned up all their stuff and went along. We have used their homemade rotisserie several times since.

MoKelly
Water navigation rights are a can of worms.

I use to do a lot of whitewater kayaking on some pretty decent stuff, and one time we had park rangers tell us we couldn't kayak there because it was state property and illegal to boat on the river.

It wasn't until our buddy (who was a local pretty well known "good" boater) who the parkrangers knew personally (who was coming back from running shuttle) that the park rangers allowed us to put on.

End of the day, the park rangers thought we were in over our head and didn't know what we were getting into, and they didn't want the liability if anyone got killed with the possibility of the state being sued because of our stupidity.

The bigger issue is when property owners own both sides of the river bank and they decide to put up barbed wire across the river. It's been done.

When I left NY, the big litigation was fishermans rights on the Salmon river.