Do you take it to the dealer for maintenance or do it yourself.

/ Do you take it to the dealer for maintenance or do it yourself. #71  
My L3710 went in once - to be traded. My L5740 went in once - to be split but it never came back - I traded. My L6060 went back once - to be traded. My M7-171 has been back twice because Kubota insists flashing software updates be done at the dealership. Kubota says they want it back again due to all the stored fault codes but it has no operating problems - and I have done all the routine maintenance going into its 5th year.

/ Do you take it to the dealer for maintenance or do it yourself. #72  
My NH 1715 went to the dealer for clutch replacement; the NH TC 33DA that replaced the 1715 & my 4740Grand L that I now own have never been back to the dealer. Both dealers are less than 12 miles from me.
If I have the proper tools / equipment I try to do everything myself to save money & time.…….however there were a couple times my “I can do that myself” attitude backfired. Calling a wrecker to haul my Dodge 3/4 ton to dealer after I attempted to replace front axle seal comes to mind.

/ Do you take it to the dealer for maintenance or do it yourself. #73  
I have past experience as an auto mechanic, so I do most of the maintenance on my JD 830 and JD 2020 myself, regardless of what it is. I had a JD 4020 and needed the injection pump rebuilt. I didn't feel like trying it. I asked around and found a local fella that retired from John Deere dealership. He did it cheaper than the dealer. I try to avoid the dealer at all cost, but that's just me. I am sure there are jobs out there that I would rather take to the dealer. If that were the case, I would buy a trailer and take it to them before I paid their price to pick up and deliver. You always need the trailer. My 2 centavos.

/ Do you take it to the dealer for maintenance or do it yourself. #74  
I inherited a 1975 International Harvester 284 from my late father-in-law. It never went to a dealer for 35 years and the carb died. (Impossible to replace; had to be rebuilt.) A couple years ago the water pump died. They're sold on Amazon! But I despaired of every actually replacing it, and NOBODY would work on it, including the dealer that worked on it in 2010. So I bought a Mahindra 2615 (something like that). Worst designed piece of machinery I have ever seen. Takes me half an hour to check the oil level, and I don't think I could ever replace it. So for the 50-hour check, I called the dealer and they sent out a truck and did the job in my driveway. I got very little change from a thousand-dollar bill. That hurt.

>Sometimes the people doing the work don't do it right.

Ah yes! A month or so later I had a diesel leak from the fuel filter. Removed it; took out the O ring; smoothed it a bit; put it back. Still leaked. Called the dealer. Well, by golly they came out and replaced the O ring and didn't charge anything -- said it must have been improperly installed in the first place. So I have mixed feelings about this. Next service is at 150 hours. Don't know what I'll do.

/ Do you take it to the dealer for maintenance or do it yourself. #75  
I suppose it all depends on time, your willingness to learn. and how good is your dealer? If you have the time and the tools, the manuals and YouTube you could do all the basic maintenance on most tractors. You can also get the Workshop Service and Repair Manuals on cd on Amazon. That should prevent any serious mistakes. Finally, how much faith do you have in your dealer to do it right at a fair price? I have my doubts about the dealer I bought from. So, I try to take my time, stick to the manuals and do it myself.

/ Do you take it to the dealer for maintenance or do it yourself. #76  
There is an arguement on the dealer's side that has appeal too. Simply stated, if owners have the right to repair their own machinery the dealer will miss out on potential profit. That's also a valid path, and there are lots of middle class people with investments, stocks, and a 401K who stand to benefit from a dealer's success.
I hear ya Scottie, and I agree that the above is a pretty weak argument. If a dealer can compete on the basis of providing a good service at a competitive cost, that would be just fine (and some probably do, and more than a few don't). But as far as helping investors... In today's age, we have too many that people set on their hind end and earn a living through investing. Not that I have anything against investing, I do it myself. It provides capital to get things going among other good things. Investing is a necessary puzzle piece in our economy.

You have no doubt noticed that there is a significant shortage of people who actually work these days. I would rather see a person actually does the work make a profit as opposed to an investor whose only stake in the game is their excess money.

/ Do you take it to the dealer for maintenance or do it yourself. #77  
Well, I don't normally post (but read on this site all the time...you folks are fun). I do have a couple of opinions on this, so I'll share. I have a small farm and run four off-brand tractors and a couple of trucks, old Case 580C backhoe, etc. So...I'm old, have some minor skills, and still like to work on "stuff." Although I have no exact idea about the original poster's skills, my basic advice is do what you can do in the Operator/Maintenance manual. Past that, if you have a good local freelance mechanic/welder, hire them first. I have a great guy who doesn't charge enough...so I give him more. He (and I) can split a tractor, replace...stuff and drink a few beers and have fun. But...you will learn so much more by doing...almost like a good technical school education.

Now, unfortunately, those of you with more recent tractors, have, well, less choices. There is a point where if you have computer programs running your equipment, no freelance mechanic has the training nor money to invest in diagnostic software to address many of your problems. Sorry, that's just the way it is. At that point, you are at the mercy of your dealer...that's why so may folks here point to the "choose well" theory of who you buy your equipment from. Otherwise, you can end up with a large, heavy, boat anchor for months on end.

But...if that dealer will treat you well and get your stuff back to you quickly, count your blessings and don't gripe about the price.

Just my opinion, naturally.

/ Do you take it to the dealer for maintenance or do it yourself. #78  
Like most folks here I do my own work unless it is so technically challenging I cannot i.e. a computer issue.

My neighbor is getting a free 50 hour maintenance from our local dealer. He has to get it there and they will have it for a week. That disincentives bringing it in for me.
When I bought my 4105 (2013), the first 50hr. maintenance was included in the 'deal'. And it was by a mobile unit at my property; I just had to arrange a time for it.

The bloke that came out allowed me to 'look over his shoulder' and ask questions for the whole routine. I noted what tools were required. He also pointed out were all of the grease nipples were (two of which weren't in the Owner Manual... updating manuals isn't 'cost effective' in the long run. And two nipples which had been eliminated)

An invaluable learning experience for the future as, when it came time to changing the hydraulic fluid/filter, I competently accomplished it and had carefully planned out the procedure prior to perform it.

/ Do you take it to the dealer for maintenance or do it yourself. #79  
I have a 1995 JD 870 and have always done maintenance and repaired it myself, it's never been to the shop. The biggest job was to replace the hydraulic hoses for the loader a couple of years ago. One failed and then a month later another so I replaced all of them, I guess they only last 25 years. :) The JD dealer does not make/sell hoses so I went to an independent shop.

My 2009 JD 5525 has not been to the shop either. I also do all the maintenance on the baler, hay mower; our cars, oil, filters, spark plugs, batteries, brakes...

I also fix things around our place plumbing, electrical, I installed 3kw of solar over 10 years ago on my garage. It gets too expensive to hire out things sometimes.

/ Do you take it to the dealer for maintenance or do it yourself. #80  
My L3710 went in once - to be traded. My L5740 went in once - to be split but it never came back - I traded. My L6060 went back once - to be traded. My M7-171 has been back twice because Kubota insists flashing software updates be done at the dealership. Kubota says they want it back again due to all the stored fault codes but it has no operating problems - and I have done all the routine maintenance going into its 5th year.

Moral to the story, stealerships have a new weapon to try and get more money from mostly people who worry about things.

Govts should unite to force all manufacturers to mandate use of a common plug and protocol so anyone can buy and use simple cheap diagnostic equipment, and those who do own work can clear and check faults themselves.

It is simply all a rort....

Prob worth rebuilding old tractors instead of the current situation, it took a long time for auto makers to conform, was a mess for a long time, tractors will prob take longer.