Dock Rebuild Specs

/ Dock Rebuild Specs #11  
Ok, his terminology for a post is "beam". Gem a beam is a main horizontal support. Posts are the vertical support under the beams, that's going into the water .đź‘Ť

/ Dock Rebuild Specs #12  
Actually if you want to correctly label the dock members...those that are sunk into the ground / substrate are called pilings...!

/ Dock Rebuild Specs #13  
BTW...the easiest way to set pilings in typical situations (short of using a pile driver) is by "jetting" them...using a pump and a section of pipe...

/ Dock Rebuild Specs #14  
Excellent tips! The support beam near the shore has rotted off. The other 5 are in fair shape but loose, i.e. they will wobble. The dock was built with nails only which probably accounts for them coming loose and becoming rickety.

We will follow your suggestion regarding using galvanized lag bolts for the underwater areas and use coated deck screws elsewhere. I'm assuming treated yellow pine should be adequate? Thankfully, lumber prices are starting to decline somewhat. The new dock probably won't last another 25 years, but neither will we.
If you can find marine grade pressure treated southern yellow pine, then you are golden. If not, you might want to look into Q-nap or copper naphthalate treatments of pressure treated wood. What comes from the lumber yard these days isn't generally suited for in ground or underwater use. Around here the "ground contact" pressure treated wood has a fine print label that clarifies it is not to be used in ground nor resting on it, just incidental ground contact.

There are some nice/fun videos on YouTube on installing piers for docks a variety of ways.

Happy fishing!

All the best,

Peter

/ Dock Rebuild Specs #15  
Op told us old dock is rickety, old dock is small,old dock is fished off of and he has more than one pond but didn't reveal what he is using for "beams",how much deck weighs nor how much live load beams need to support so I was forced to grab some #s from air overhead but what I specked is good for pier sizes commonly in use (12x12 not one of them unless op wants to take his Peterbilt on the dock to haul fish out.:unsure:). As pier size increases, required depth decreases but all support same load.
Jax’s if post is supporting load with end bearing ,a larger post supports more load.
at 7psi you need 12x12 to support 1000lb

/ Dock Rebuild Specs #16  
Jax’s if post is supporting load with end bearing ,a larger post supports more load.
at 7psi you need 12x12 to support 1000lb
I don't want a tee-teeing contest here,you could be right so I will state it different. Apply 1k pounds force to post until it stops sinking and the post will support up to 1k lbs without sinking farther. Hope that cleaned it up for you. Between you and I,I doubt op will tackle this so it's a mute point anyhow.

/ Dock Rebuild Specs #17  
I haul for a company called decks and docks lumber company. They sell marine grade pressure treated lumber, pilings and anything else you would need to build a dock. They’re based in Florida but I know they have some stores in Georgia. They also sell a product calling an e-piling. it is a plastic piling that will outlast the wood by far.

/ Dock Rebuild Specs
I don't want a tee-teeing contest here,you could be right so I will state it different. Apply 1k pounds force to post until it stops sinking and the post will support up to 1k lbs without sinking farther. Hope that cleaned it up for you. Between you and I,I doubt op will tackle this so it's a mute point anyhow.
"Between you and I,I doubt op will tackle this so it's a mute point anyhow."

Bonk. Choices are limited. yeah, I'll be getting wet.;)

/ Dock Rebuild Specs #19  
It is difficult for average person to apply a large load to a post in the water. Depending on type of soil you are driving post into ,the driving load may need to be higher than anticipated load due to driving modifying soil

/ Dock Rebuild Specs #20  
I haul for a company called decks and docks lumber company. They sell marine grade pressure treated lumber, pilings and anything else you would need to build a dock. They’re based in Florida but I know they have some stores in Georgia. They also sell a product calling an e-piling. it is a plastic piling that will outlast the wood by far.

They also sell (or they used to) 3/4" marine grade (no voids, resorcinol glue) plywood that is kiln dried after pressure treatment...