Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades?

/ Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades? #1  

jgoodma1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4060
I'm eventually going to get a land plane for my Kubota L4060, but I'm not ready to part with the green yet. Nonetheless, I'm always looking for a used one on Facebook Marketplace, and today, for the first time, I came across a used Everything Attachments 6' land plane for sale (albeit, still way over my budget .....$2500). The seller posted some very good photos of it and I could clearly see that the blade carriers were welded to the side plates, making the blades non-adjustable up and down. In other posts on land planes that I've read over the past couple of years, I repeatedly saw the opinions that those blades should be adjustable up and down to tune the cutting depths. But with EA being one of the Cadillac brands and seeing that their blades are not adjustable, I'm wondering if they really need to be, and if they don't, it opens up my used land plane options a bit. Just looking to get some knowledgeable opinions on this issue. Thanks.

/ Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades? #3  
I can't vouch for adjustable blades, but I have no issues with the one I have. Works great.

Dave

279138224_10228955912591247_8204058828744848514_n.jpg

/ Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades? #4  
There might be some advantage if you have a big tractor and are working with a hard surface. However, if the surface is already loose I doubt it makes much difference. Mine works pretty well on loose surfaces, was built from scrap and cost about $25.

level0.jpg

/ Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades? #5  
I have placed a 1" thick board between the skid plates and the sides which essentially raises the blades about an inch as mine are not adjustable and I wanted the blades to dig in less. If you want the blades to be even less aggressive just use a thicker spacer of wood between the skid plates and you might need longer bolts.

/ Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades? #6  
I'm eventually going to get a land plane for my Kubota L4060, but I'm not ready to part with the green yet. Nonetheless, I'm always looking for a used one on Facebook Marketplace, and today, for the first time, I came across a used Everything Attachments 6' land plane for sale (albeit, still way over my budget .....$2500). The seller posted some very good photos of it and I could clearly see that the blade carriers were welded to the side plates, making the blades non-adjustable up and down. In other posts on land planes that I've read over the past couple of years, I repeatedly saw the opinions that those blades should be adjustable up and down to tune the cutting depths. But with EA being one of the Cadillac brands and seeing that their blades are not adjustable, I'm wondering if they really need to be, and if they don't, it opens up my used land plane options a bit. Just looking to get some knowledgeable opinions on this issue. Thanks.
Do you mean a Box Grader? My brother and I made one. Blade angle is adjustable, but not vertically. It works great as it is. I would be fine with a non adjustable one also. We don't change the blade angle very often..

/ Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades? #7  
Do you mean a Box Grader? My brother and I made one. Blade angle is adjustable, but not vertically. It works great as it is. I would be fine with a non adjustable one also. We don't change the blade angle very often..
Pretty sure they are referring to a "Land Plane" or sometimes called a "Road Grader"

Here is one that has adjustable blade depth. I have just added a wooden spacer / shim under the replaceable ware skid plate on each side which accomplish the same thing.
Land-Plane-1.jpg

/ Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades? #8  
The blade height adjustment is to compensate for blade wear. As the blade is worn, one lowers the blade. Some LP's have multi holes in the blade holder to accomplish this. Others have slots the blade holder moves in, Others have both (Road boss)

/ Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades? #9  
The cutting edges on mine are not adjustable. They are set 3/4" below the runners. I have over a mile of gravel roads I maintain and I have not turned the the dual edged cutting edges over yet after 8 years of use but I have replaced the mild steel runners.
The LPGS works beautifully for me and I don't feel the need for adjustable blades. Maybe just luck, I don't know.....

CornerLPGS2.JPG

GradeDrive2.JPG

Grading.JPG

gg

/ Does a 3ph land plane need to have adjustable blades? #10  
Fixed cutting edges on both of mine also, never needed adjustable ones or scarifiers for that matter.

Attachments

• P4190015.JPG
    P4190015.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 104
  • P4190012.JPG
    P4190012.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 98
  • P4260019.JPG
    P4260019.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 91
  • P4260025.JPG
    P4260025.JPG