Does anybody buy bulk feed?

/ Does anybody buy bulk feed? #41  
Sorry if already mentioned, but have you considered something like this,

NEW_GWS_1_TON_FEED_BUGGY_PtRpeC_overlay_1644808067.jpg

/ Does anybody buy bulk feed? #42  
Way back - I had a horse. She went from around 900# to around 1200# the two years I owned her. She liked a particular brand/type of horse pellets. So I loaded up a gaylord and bought half a ton. She didn't like them in bulk.

All was not bad. I sold the horse and the bulk horse pellets made good lawn fertilizer.

/ Does anybody buy bulk feed? #43  
While raising our kids i milked a cow for about 6-7 gallon / day and fed bulk feed from the CO-OP grain elevator to pigs , calves , chickens , ( cats and dogs soaked in milk plus table scraps ) and 2 goats for a short time . I discovered a load of ground feed could be hauled in a pickup truck without a cover , against a 30 MPH head wind without loosing anything but chaff if the tail gate was down . Otherwise a tarp rolled in 2 eight ft. pcs of #8 rebar was handy if rain seemed imminent . Stored in 55 gallon drums with lids .

With a book ( Feeds and Feeding ) by Frank Morison , just in case i didn't recall everything my father taught me , all seemed to be healthy and fat . Both Dad and Frank Morrison knew about the feeding value of good leaf-ey Alfalfa . Grind it into the feed with grain for hogs if you like and all other goodies or feed from the bale even to chickens . Chickens will pick every leaf from a flake of hay tossed on the ground especially in winter when greens are scarce . Most every class of livestock on a farm apprecia1tes wheat pasture in the winter also .

/ Does anybody buy bulk feed?
Sorry if already mentioned, but have you considered something like this,

NEW_GWS_1_TON_FEED_BUGGY_PtRpeC_overlay_1644808067.jpg
I did, but then I dismissed it because I wanted 2 types of feed. One for chickens, and the other for horses and goats. I figure that goats will eat anything, so if it's good for horses, it will be good for goats. That would mean two of these trailers, or a place to unload it and store it so I could haul different types of feed.

With inflation being so bad, I'm rethinking everything. A trailer might be a good idea if I can find one that I can justify the cost of it compared to the savings from buying bulk. Kind of like buying a prius for $20,000 to save $100 a month in gasoline. The math needs to make sense to me.

Of course, just having horses means that my math is horrible.

/ Does anybody buy bulk feed? #45  
...With inflation being so bad, I'm rethinking everything. A trailer might be a good idea if I can find one that I can justify the cost of it compared to the savings from buying bulk. Kind of like buying a prius for $20,000 to save $100 a month in gasoline. The math needs to make sense to me.

Of course, just having horses means that my math is horrible.
I wouldn't say that having horses, or other animals, makes your math horrible. Just that you value some things over a dollar...and count me in on that one.

All the best,

Peter

/ Does anybody buy bulk feed? #46  
Kind of like buying a Prius for $25k verse a Elantra for $16k to save the $100 a month in gas.

Dad used to buy bulk feed many years ago. Have no idea the cost difference now.

/ Does anybody buy bulk feed? #47  
Jusst changed to a new feed that is $500 for 400kg, they only get a third of what they got of the previous one which was the same money for 1000kg, this is a supplementary feed so it is cheaper, less room to store and easier to move around and it fits in the tray rather than a trailer when picking up.

/ Does anybody buy bulk feed? #48  
Always get bulk feed in tote bags then unload in barrels- usually the least you can get is 1,000 lbs. Sometimes they will sell a quarter tote. Always look for a local grain farmer with a mill. That is how you save money on feed.

/ Does anybody buy bulk feed? #49  
The bulkers we get have a zipper so no transfer, 400kg is not far off 1000lbs, they weight does vary a bit from bag to bag, it is whatever they can fit in, I probably should have said 400-450kg.
These are small operators and offer better deals than the big producers as they have way less overheads, they target locals and have no advertising and most people pick up, it is a win for us and the feed is fresher and good quality, word of mouth is their advertising and sponsorship for school sports etc.