Buying Advice Does anyone make real Gas tractors anymore?

/ Does anyone make real Gas tractors anymore? #1  

Roger66

Silver Member
Tractor
2017 Mahindra 1526, John Deere LX255
I'm not talking about air cooled lawn tractors. I recently bought a Mahindra 1526 and I'm pretty happy with it, but I think with Tier 4 emissions requirements the Diesels have lost nearly all of their advantages. Diesels used to be simple bullet proof engines, but now they have computers and DPF nonsense on them. My use for a tractor is all short runs. I fire it up, pick something up to move it 20 feet. Shut it off. or I tow a firewood trailer up a hill for less than a 100 yards and shut it off. I felt forced into the under 26 HP tractor as with my use frequent starts and short runs I would be clogging the DPF quick and I would never be able to do a proper regen as I never work it hard for a long length of time. I understand you can't just do a regen at idle, the engine must have a good load on it. Perhaps a guy that brush hog's a field can do a proper regen, but not me. The diesel engines might last longer, but they are more expensive. I think the only advantage of a Diesel is a bit of fuel economy. I was looking under the hood of my mom's 2015 Honda, it's no powerhouse, but it still must have 80-90 HP? The Honda engine is not much bigger if any than My 25 HP Diesel. It of course has a Cat for emissions, but it's tiny. It has a computer and OXS, but the new diesels have computers and sensors as well. It seems an engine like this would be perfect for a compact tractor. It's compact & quiet. Any 3 or 4 Cylinder liquid cooled gas powered compact tractors out there? If not why?

/ Does anyone make real Gas tractors anymore? #2  
Not as far s I know, because people only think about the lower torque without realizing horsepower is what does the work. Yes a gasser would need a higher operating rpm in most cases but that's no big deal.

/ Does anyone make real Gas tractors anymore? #3  
Not necessarily look at the rated rpm of a Farmall H, M or 400.
a gas engines torque curve is determined by the cam mainly,
there was quite post here about gas to diesel a week or so ago.

/ Does anyone make real Gas tractors anymore? #4  
There are still diesel tractors over 25hp that do not have DPF, DEF, or extra complicated computers. It is part of why I bought the tractor I did.

/ Does anyone make real Gas tractors anymore? #5  
I'm not talking about air cooled lawn tractors. I recently bought a Mahindra 1526 and I'm pretty happy with it, but I think with Tier 4 emissions requirements the Diesels have lost nearly all of their advantages. Diesels used to be simple bullet proof engines, but now they have computers and DPF nonsense on them.

Your making a lot of sense for a "smaller" tractor. I would guess that a manufacturer needs to build for a world market for their number$ to work. It seems that most of the rest of the world does not have these ridiculous emission requirements, esp. on small more or less "utility" engines, and gas is either more expensive and/or harder to get. :confused3:

/ Does anyone make real Gas tractors anymore? #6  
In my mind hp comes from the motor, torque comes from the transmission, therefor 50hp diesel is the same as 50hp gas,> translation, your arm is the motor, your 1/2 drive rachet is the transmission, to increase torque put pipe on rachet/transmission, to increase torque with strength, durability and overall toughness to the transmission, use a 3/4 drive rachet, there now where's my gas tractor....................

/ Does anyone make real Gas tractors anymore? #7  
In my mind hp comes from the motor, torque comes from the transmission, therefor 50hp diesel is the same as 50hp gas.
Nope, it doesn't work that way....

SR

/ Does anyone make real Gas tractors anymore? #8  
I'm not talking about air cooled lawn tractors. I recently bought a Mahindra 1526 and I'm pretty happy with it, but I think with Tier 4 emissions requirements the Diesels have lost nearly all of their advantages. Diesels used to be simple bullet proof engines, but now they have computers and DPF nonsense on them. My use for a tractor is all short runs. I fire it up, pick something up to move it 20 feet. Shut it off. or I tow a firewood trailer up a hill for less than a 100 yards and shut it off. I felt forced into the under 26 HP tractor as with my use frequent starts and short runs I would be clogging the DPF quick and I would never be able to do a proper regen as I never work it hard for a long length of time. I understand you can't just do a regen at idle, the engine must have a good load on it. Perhaps a guy that brush hog's a field can do a proper regen, but not me. The diesel engines might last longer, but they are more expensive. I think the only advantage of a Diesel is a bit of fuel economy. I was looking under the hood of my mom's 2015 Honda, it's no powerhouse, but it still must have 80-90 HP? The Honda engine is not much bigger if any than My 25 HP Diesel. It of course has a Cat for emissions, but it's tiny. It has a computer and OXS, but the new diesels have computers and sensors as well. It seems an engine like this would be perfect for a compact tractor. It's compact & quiet. Any 3 or 4 Cylinder liquid cooled gas powered compact tractors out there? If not why?

Gas engines have come a long ways since they fell out of favor with tractor buyers in the 60's and 70's. Seems a reasonable question you have.

But for your usage, another great option would be an electric/battery tractor. A smaller electric tractor with a 3-4 hour run time would be adequate for a lot of the tasks for which a guy/gal buys a compact tractor.

Sorry to change the subject, back to gas engines now.

/ Does anyone make real Gas tractors anymore? #9  
Dave :thumbsup:
Might even have a govt. check attached to it! A lot of really big heavy equipment has gone to electric drive @ the wheels & hyd pumps. They still have a huge motor but it drives a generator. It makes a lot of sense for the OP's use if they can stuff enough batteries in it.