Does the f250 Super Duty make the f350 obsolete?

/ Does the f250 Super Duty make the f350 obsolete? #71  
UltraRunner, where in the bay are you from? I live in San Ramon now, but am from Oakland.

/ Does the f250 Super Duty make the f350 obsolete?
5 generations of family call Oakland home...

My Great Grandparents fled SF after the 1906 Earthquake to Oakland and found it better in every way and had no desire to go back to SF.

Seen lots of changes and one doesn't have to look far to find Oakland in the news or topic of discussion... Raiders, Warriors, A's... plus all the special commemorations on the 50th Anniversary of the Black Panthers going on now and HeII's Angels... etc...

Just about everyone I went to High School has moved long ago... catch up with some when the parents pass or move and the family home is sold off.

A LOT of my friends/classmates live in your area... Pleasanton/San Ramon/Livermore or Orinda/Lafayette/Pleasant Hill

In High School my brother was the only one with a truck... Ford F250 4wd 1978 Model... everyone knew him by that pickup... heard the person that has it now might be selling... asked my brother if he was interested as he sold it almost 30 years ago when he went off to college...

He loved that truck but remembered it not having much power and lacking for trailer towing... much prefers his 2016 Super Duty Diesel...

PS... Living in Oakland and owning Backhoes and a Dozer is not typical... found a place out Palomares Canyon that I fell in love with but not meant to be.

/ Does the f250 Super Duty make the f350 obsolete? #73  
The difference being annual safeties, stopping at the scales vs not. i'll take not.

So if your pickup has a GVWR of 10,000 you have to stop at weigh stations? Is that in all states?

/ Does the f250 Super Duty make the f350 obsolete? #74  
At exactly 10,000 you are exempt. Regulations kick in at over 10,000 and only apply to vehicles used for business purposes at least on the federal level. Individual states may require all vehicles over 10k to weigh but I am not aware of any that do if it is for personal use. Usually the signs at the weigh stations are very clear on who has to stop. I know in New Mexico for example when in my dually even with no trailer I have to stop at the weigh station at the border when going there for work and buy a permit. They ask where I am going and the cost is based on the miles traveled in their state and my weight rating.

/ Does the f250 Super Duty make the f350 obsolete?
Ford does have a derate option for F250 AND F350 super duty that puts GVW just under 10k... often needs to be special ordered... we ordered the F250 derated.

/ Does the f250 Super Duty make the f350 obsolete? #76  
My F350 has 11,500# GVWR. I don't have to stop because it's for personal use.

/ Does the f250 Super Duty make the f350 obsolete? #77  
So if your pickup has a GVWR of 10,000 you have to stop at weigh stations? Is that in all states?

Depends on the state and how they enforce it. In Nebraska, all pickups pulling trailers have to stop at the scale - RVs exempt. I always pull in and get waved through. I've seen guys skip the scale and get pulled over. This is the sign approaching each direction at the scales in Nebraska City and North Platte, Nebraska.
Screen Shot 2016-03-06 at 10.08.43 AM.png
The last time I pulled a trailer through South Dakota, the signs said to stop, similar to Nebraska.
In Montana, you are supposed to stop if your GVWR is over 8,000#. I never have and haven't been bothered.

/ Does the f250 Super Duty make the f350 obsolete? #78  
Yep, can confirm that. I haul thru Nebraska regularly. Unless you are pulling a TT, you had better stop. Depending on trooper, you do not want to run a scale and get the fine for that, and maybe an additional fine for "failing to follow sign". I have seen that happen, two fines for the same occurrence. One for running the scale and another for failing to follow the sign to exit. Some states will put a weight limit on it for stopping. Something like 10,000 lb. But a 3/4 ton with any kind of working trailer with a load is going to top that. At least Nebraska has weigh in motion out on the highway at many of their locations, the highway sign will light up to tell you whether you should exit or it is ok to drive on by.