Dog breeds for mini farm

/ Dog breeds for mini farm #11  
it really depends on what you intend to have the dog for........guarding......herding......companion........for guarding livestock that's something a great pyrenees excels at.......herding would be border collies.........companion any laid back low energy breed.......Jack

/ Dog breeds for mini farm #12  
A Border Collie or Labrador are good bets.

Those are extremes!

We all have our favorite breeds. I'm an ausie guy myself. The males tend to be more loyal to a family while the females tend to be more loyal to a person. They have also had good success with the the mini ausies if you want something smaller.
However, as stated above, it has a lot to do with you! If you get a high energy breed or dog and don't provide the stimulation or tasks they will drive you nuts! And conversely a low energy dog isn't going to be ideal for some. Grab a book or better yet check out Cesar Millan by googling his name. He has lots of ideas from breeds to types of traits to look for if you go the adoption route.

/ Dog breeds for mini farm #13  
As others have said your plans for dog will determine type to get. A herding dog will require more training and activity to keep them from driving you crazy. I currently have a pit and a fox hound, both do well with other animals

/ Dog breeds for mini farm #14  
As others have said, much depends on your personality and your expectations for the dog.

We have Great Danes and love. Gentle & low energy, but protective of the people and the property.

/ Dog breeds for mini farm #15  
I wouldn't get a "bird dog" breed if you are going to have loose chickens.My GSP pup got loose the other day and had a field day with them!Can't fault the dog.
Anyway a Labrador retriever is hard to beat for an all around dog;just be careful to check for health problems with past generations.I don't like long haired dogs,just too much up keep.I realize Labs are bird dogs but easy trained to leave domestics alone.
We have four GSP's and a English Pointer but they are not allowed to run with-out supervision.
The herding breeds I have been around are;timid and not guard dogs at all.

/ Dog breeds for mini farm #16  
Anyone know anything about Rhodesian Ridgebacks?

We're in a similar place but for chickens, ducks, goats, and small children and low shedding is required.

Also looking at Standard Poodles and Wire-haired Griffins.

/ Dog breeds for mini farm #17  
I would look at the Australian Shepherd or Blue Healer type dogs. Their intelligence is a cut above most breeds. Their training is only limited by how much effort you put into it.

/ Dog breeds for mini farm #18  
You also may want to look at a couple "designer" dogs,the goldendoodle and labradoodle.The ones I have been around have been very nice/healthy dogs.Good intelligence from the poodle and temperament of the others.Nothing wrong with a standard poodle;very smart,trainable dog.

/ Dog breeds for mini farm #19  
Anyone know anything about Rhodesian Ridgebacks?

We're in a similar place but for chickens, ducks, goats, and small children and low shedding is required.

Also looking at Standard Poodles and Wire-haired Griffins.
rhodesians are sight hounds, bred to chase animals. They are typically hard to train off leash. I had ahalf bred Rhodesian, he was good dog in a fence or on leash. Went deaf to commands ,off leash. Coworker was a rhodesian breeder that showed her champions, she said my dog was typical behavior

Last edited:
   / Dog breeds for mini farm #20  
You also may want to look at a couple "designer" dogs,the goldendoodle and labradoodle.The ones I have been around have been very nice/healthy dogs.Good intelligence from the poodle and temperament of the others.Nothing wrong with a standard poodle;very smart,trainable dog.
Designer dogs are mutts and can favor either breed. Many breeders look for numbers not quality for the popular dogs. My recent dogs are all rescues