Dog Food recommendations

/ Dog Food recommendations #1  

JRobyn

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330HST
We're picking up a new rescue dog next Saturday after the mandatory spay. A smallish lab mix, maybe 35-40#. Very laid back. Been many years since either of us has had a dog.

What does the TBN brain trust recommend for a good dog food? I know, kinda like asking "what oil should I use"! I did a search and looked in threads back a year or so, but didn't see anything. Evidently I've forgotten how to do a search using TWO keywords. She's wanting Blue Buffalo. I'm think something a little less "designer ($)".

/ Dog Food recommendations #4  
Blue Buffalo is good stuff, but we feel Victor is better.

/ Dog Food recommendations #5  
I feed the Kirkland (Costco) brand. Number one ingredient is chicken. I believe it is made by Diamond.

/ Dog Food recommendations #6  
The wifey has been giving the dog raw meat and veggies for years now. Kinda a PITA since bagged food is easier to keep, store and use. Not sure we are spending anymore feeding the dog this way vs the usual dog food.

Right now the dog's food is being cooked because the dog has a tumor on the leg. :eek: The tumor got really big suddenly and surgery was not a good option. The vet told us to do some stuff that sounded like witch craft and not "modern" medicine which included cooking the food instead of serving raw. The tumor was wrapped and treated with some witch doctor stuff, more was added to the food for a total cost of about $350 vs $1200 or more for surgery. Danged tumor was dramatically reduced in a short period of time. :thumbsup:

The raw food/cooked food diet has made the dog healthier and her poops are much smaller. All of that big dog poop is just expensive fillers from the dog food.... The dog gets what ever meat is on sale, round pork, turkey, beef and sometimes fish if canned salmon is on sale. Dog eats better than I do... :rolleyes:

Later,
Dan

/ Dog Food recommendations #8  
If you do some research, you will find the old standby foods we all buy at the local grocery store turn out to be of fairly low quality. Feeding low quality food causes allergies and skin problems. Dogs have to eat larger quantities of these foods to get enough nourishment, this means a lot more dog poop for you to clean up.
The best quality food generally won't be found in a grocery store. It also costs more, but hopefully you can recoup some of the cost by not having to see the vet so much.
I have settled on the Natures Domain brand from Costco. It is made by Diamond, and is cheaper than some of the other high quality food. I pay 34 dollars for a 35 lb bag, my Newfoundland weighs in at 196 lbs and does very well on it, I will never go back to the old Purina,Beneful etc.

/ Dog Food recommendations #9  
Can't recommend any particular brand, just this .... remember that dogs are omnivorous, like us, NOT carnivorous, like a cat - dogs need vegetables as well as meat. Do NOT feed them a steady diet of cat food or only feed them meat.

Meat is important for them to eat and can/should be listed first on the ingredient list - but, don't let anyone convince you that any/all dog foods that contain vegetables and cereals are bad.

/ Dog Food recommendations #10  
If you really want to give them the very best, you can make your own dog food. We have started doing this in the crockpot. No fillers and everything is good quality.