Dog pics

/ Dog pics #2,291  
Jasper just got trimmed... IMG_9861.JPG

/ Dog pics #2,292  
My Harley again, with my new custom Indian motorcylce. And yes he is a golden retriever ! Just a giant one . 3 yrs old

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 110
   / Dog pics #2,293  
IMG_1539.JPG

Does he count for a dog? He comes when I whistle or call for him, he runs when I call lol. He will run and fetch apples but I rarely get them back, he hides them in his belly where I can’t get them to throw for him again.

/ Dog pics #2,294  
Looks like a steer but every jersey bull I was ever around wanted to kill me. Cattle do love apples, I always let them have the small varieties but bust up the larger ones so they do not choke on them (which can happen).

/ Dog pics #2,295  
Looks like a steer but every jersey bull I was ever around wanted to kill me. Cattle do love apples, I always let them have the small varieties but bust up the larger ones so they do not choke on them (which can happen).

He is a steer, he’s Angus-Jersey cross. I had a full blooded jersey Steer once. That dude was a bully to people or anything in his pasture, he would sometimes aim his horns at the chickens trying to rob his corn. He did chase off a Fox trying to tear up my chickens though.

My neighbor, mail lady and a few other people saw a fox chasing my chickens then saw my jersey chasing the fox, I free ranged 24-7 for over a year at that point, I lost a bird about every 30-40 days at the end till I sold the flock. So the jersey kept the chickens from being massacred, I have heard stories of people losing 10-30 birds in one night, I never had that but I did have attack cattle watching over the chickens. We have hawks, raccoons, possum, fox and coyotes in the area and surprisingly non wiped out my chickens.

It’s funny, when I first got chickens I looked into a LGD (Great Pyrenees), had one lined up, was gonna train it to look after the flock and live in the stalls back at the barn, then have the Sheppard up at the house, as a pet and to guard the house which he does well, he even scares off the Jehovah’s Witnesses now which is impressive and not easy. But I didn’t think it would be a good fit for my situation and passed on the dog.

About a year after chickens, I got cattle and never needed a LGD after all. A year or two after cattle I lost interest in chickens and sold my flock, still have the coop and supplies, one day I’ll get into them again.

IMG_6700.JPG

That little red calf was this guy when I first got him, it was a few days before the others let him eat with them.

/ Dog pics #2,296  
baxter1.jpg

Baxter, my Katahdin ram, thought he was a dog too. Not much for fetching, but he dearly loved to be petted and scratched and would follow me around like a puppy.

I used to free-range chickens too, but after my llama died and my wife developed an allergy to pet hair (no more dogs) I lost 14 in 24 hours to a fox. Have since penned them up and now only lose one to the occasional hawk or eagle. Not much to be done about that.

Last edited:
   / Dog pics #2,297  
Nothing better at protecting than dogs. My late, great dog Xena never lost anything to any ground-based or aerial predator. Of course, that was when she was outside (indoor/outdoor dog). Got a LONG way to go to get the new puppy up to speed.

Attachments

• P1090015.JPG
    P1090015.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 140
   / Dog pics #2,298  
That's a gorgeous dog, DieselBound. Appears to have some Mastiff in her?

/ Dog pics #2,299  
That's a gorgeous dog, DieselBound. Appears to have some Mastiff in her?

Yeah, that's Xena. We had her put down earlier this year (spinal cancer). Exceptional dog: my wife called her "the perfect dog." Got her at 11 months, a two-time rescue. That picture epitomized what the dog was about: BUSINESS. It's a toss-up as to which picture of her I like the most, that one or this one:

Our pup, Kisha, is also Mastiff+Lab but with Pit-bull (mother). Accidental breeding which a local rescue picked up. She's very similar to Xena in looks, but personality is significantly different (and only time will tell whether she'll be a good farm dog like Xena was).

Attachments

• 8491898938_67c2f3a7b6_o.jpg
    8491898938_67c2f3a7b6_o.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 97
   / Dog pics #2,300  
My sisters dog, "chillin" on a hot summer day ......

13369.jpeg