Dog stories

/ Dog stories #41  
Back in SoCal, no firearms but two German Shepherds (littermates who were about 5.5 years old at the time of this encounter - Hanna - the female, and Sammy - the male).

Most weekends back then I’d take the dogs out for a 3 mile one way (6 mile round trip) walk in the Angeles National Forest up a closed and gated/locked fire road to an abandoned Nike missile base. There was a small parking area at the bottom of the road and if no one was parked there, you could be about 99.9% certain no one was on the road ahead of you. In those cases, I’d let the dogs off leash once we're past the first curve of the fire road. The road is pretty much cut into the side of the mountain, uphill to the west, downhill to the east. We’d normally go all the way up, I’d water the dogs at the abandoned Nike base (which had a ginormous water tank still full of fresh water), and then put them on leash for the walk back down to the car.

About a month before my story really begins, on the way down when I had the dogs on leash, they suddenly got very alert, with their ears, heads and tails all up in the full alert position. As we walked down the road there was a small valley uphill on the right - between two hills that rose up from the level of the road. I saw something that looked about the size of a small sheep (maybe 100 pounds) burst out of the brush, run across the small valley and then stop by a tree up hill from us where it turned and stared at us. The dogs and I just stared back. After a few moments, and realizing we could be engaged in this staring contest all day, I took one step forward, whereupon the dogs started barking like crazy and the animal – a small bear - ran over the top of the hill and disappeared.

I told the dog breeder/trainer about it and he confirmed my concern - a bear could easily kill the dogs. So since seeing the bear, I'd been leashing the dogs before we got near where we saw it and letting them off leash when we were well clear.

Well on the day of my story we were still climbing to the place where I'd been leashing them, when, sure enough, there's the bear and the dogs are off leash. They both take off up the road about 100 yards after the bear who plunges down the slope on the right hand side of the road.

As the dogs are disappearing, the mother bear bursts out of the brush hot on the dogs' heels. She's a whole different order of animal from the one that already concerned me, probably 300 - 350 pounds, fast and aggressively protecting what turned out to be her cub. I heard one bark and then seconds later one dog burst up over the east edge of the roadway ahead of me, then the second dog, then the adult bear right behind them. They ran down the road a bit toward me and then all three disappeared over the edge again going down slope. A moment later Sammy came up over the edge about 20 yards ahead of me, followed by the mother who got close enough to roll him. As she was preparing to kill Sammy, Hanna came sailing in and slammed into the bear’s side. Hanna bounced off and evaded the bear and Sammy was able to get up and escape. Then all three went over the edge of the road down the slope once more.

I’ve never personally seen anything quite as brave as what Hanna did – taking on an animal that outweighed her by 270 pounds without thought to what might happen to her, to save her brother and pack mate.

A moment later one of the dogs popped up over the edge of the road, followed closely by the mother bear, and both ran directly at me. The dog ran right by me, but the mother bear stopped about 6' from me, eyeballs me and tries to decide what to do. I figured in for a penny, in for a pound, so stared it right in the eyes, stood up as straight as I could, raised my arms over my head and yelled "hey" as loud as I could. Fortunately, she decided she needed to see what the dogs might be doing to her cub, so she turned and took off.

After what I think were one or two more rushes up over the edge of the road - one or two dogs, followed closely by the mother bear, and then back down slope again - I was finally able to get Sammy on leash as Hanna took one last run down the hill. When she realized that she was alone, she came trotting back to me, I leashed her and we all headed back down to the car, having had enough excitement for the day.

We (the dogs as I) were very fortunate that I had two dogs and the adult female had a cub. She couldn't focus on any of us because she had to worry about what the other dog might be doing to her cub and so wasn't able to start and maintain an attack. If I had been up there with only one dog, that dog likely would have been killed. If the female bear had been up there without a cub, some or all of me and the dogs might have been seriously injured or killed.

I also learned after the fact that a dog WILL bring the bear that’s chasing it back to you, it’s just a matter of when.

Hanna in front, Sammy in back - both moved on now.

pmaEHa2pj

/ Dog stories
I also learned after the fact that a dog WILL bring the bear that’s chasing it back to you, it’s just a matter of when.
I also had my first dog bring a bear back to me, but nowhere as scary as your experience. She was a very alpha female lab who wasn't afraid of anything. We were walking down an old road one day when I spied a bear feeding on clover about a hundred yards ahead. Meanwhile my dog was at my side minding her own business (for a change) so I looked down and said "You be good." What I should have done was grabbed her collar because those 3 words got her looking around to see what she was missing; she then tore off and ran PAST the bear. She sniffed the ground for a few seconds then ran back past the bear, returning to my side while the bear ran off. "At least it didn't have cubs" I thought.
Wrong!!! The next thing I knew the bear was standing with her front paws on the shoulder of the road, 15 feet away. I started clapping my tree calipers together making as much noise as I could. She may get me but I'm going down hard. We stared at each other for a few seconds, then she took off into the woods.
I yelled at my dog "GTF away from me!!!!" I DON'T WANT YOU anymore!!! It was a couple of hours before I even acknowledged her, I was so mad.

We only have black bears here. They are just miniature versions of a real bear.

/ Dog stories #43  
My mom's got a rescue dog (mixed breed) named Royal.

She's about the size of a lab, part pit, kur, and not sure what else.

This knuckle head is always bring home critters.

For a while it was a male fawn. Mom posted some really cute videos of Royal and the fawn playing.

After my step dad passed, I went up and moved mom into a mother in laws apartment at my brother's place.

Well, that night my brother posts a photo of Royal out in the yard with her new friends.

She disappeared for a while and showed back up with a couple goats

My brother ended up driving around the area for a couple hours, stopping at each home till he finally found someone who had and inkling of who the goats belonged to and was able to make contact with the owners

/ Dog stories #44  

For a while it was a male fawn. Mom posted some really cute videos of Royal and the fawn playing.

After my step dad passed, I went up and moved mom into a mother in laws apartment at my brother's place.

Well, that night my brother posts a photo of Royal out in the yard with her new friends.

My brother ended up driving around the area for a couple hours, stopping at each home till he finally found someone who had and inkling of who the goats belonged to and was able to make contact with the owners
So in a survival situation, Royal's going to be pretty handy to have around.

/ Dog stories

Thank you for giving me my daily laugh!! :😀

/ Dog stories #48  
Thank you all for the great stories!

All the best,

Peter

/ Dog stories #49  
We're a German shepherd family, I must say the first dog we got after getting married in the mid 90's was a wolf hybrid. He was 75%wolf.

Jack and I would go toe to toe, he thought he was the alpha, don't think so buddy. He loved my wife.

I was gone on military duties and wife woke up 1 night to jack grabbing her, pulling her out of bed and out of the bedroom. As that was happening the ceiling came down in the bedroom.

Typical cheap landlord who cut corners. Funny how dogs can sense things

/ Dog stories #50  
German Shepherds are great dogs. Very intelligent and loyal. I'd have one, but I've heard they don't tolerate the heat very well.

The black mouth cur I had was definitely a warm weather dog and couldn't stand cold weather. Their coat isn't very thick and they have a bald belly. It wasn't unusual to see him lying out in the sun, even on a 95 degree day. You'd watch him rotate between the shade and a spot in the full sun throughout the day.