Doin' the PT Pucker

/ Doin' the PT Pucker #11  
Re: Doin\' the PT Pucker

Amazing what over confidence will do, isn't it? Every time I've gotten to pucker level on the PT, It has been doing something that I never would have thought of trying on a conventional tractor. Worse, I've found that I hadn't even thought about a potential problem - just dived in. Sunday, with the hoe on the front to stir a compost pile, I looked around and found I'd driven all four wheels into a PT 1845 sized hole. Turned out it was no serious problem to get out, but I spent a little time at odd angles and wondering if the belly pan would clear the lip. This time, no external help needed.
Another of those "I'd rather be lucky than good." PT moments.

/ Doin' the PT Pucker #12  

John: You wrote
<font color=red>I had no idea the small 9 cu ft bucket could lift the rear of this puppy.</font color=red>
I think the hydraulics will lift the back end, even straight on, although not very fast or high. As you demonstrated, however, when you turn while lifting there is no problem whatsoever in tilting the back end, as opposed to picking it up. As uncomfortable as it is, there doesn't seem to be much problem getting it sorted back out, as long as the bucket isn't too high. I suspect Hans can attest, however, that with a high bucket on soft stuff, it is possible to lie the machine on its side. Part of his top gun training, no doubt.

/ Doin' the PT Pucker #13  

It sounds like there are several PT Top Gun cadidate possibilities around here. My only "flights" were when trying to pull fenceposts for a friend. I was sitting still, so I guess they don't really qualify.

Has anyone weighted their tires with calcium? The original PT that I test drove, belonged to a lanscaper who had filled his tires. He felt it helped alot. What do you guys think?

I'm glad all of you had safe landings! "Keep up thy airspeed, unless the ground come up and smite thee!"

/ Doin' the PT Pucker #14  

There is some question as to weighting the tires. Apparently, Power Trac is against it, referring to premature wheel motor failure.

Personally, I want to keep my machine as light as possible for lawn work. I knew the limitations of the machine when I bought it, so nothing has been unexpected. In fact, I have been pleasantly surprised with its capabilities.

/ Doin' the PT Pucker #15  

You have a good point there. I also do alot of lawn work; that's one of the reasons I chose the PT. It's great to drive around on your lawn with a tractor without the usual damage. I hadn't talked to Power Trac about calcium in the tires; sounds like the possible wheel motor wear wouldn't be worth the benefits of the extra weight.

I too have been pleasantly surprised by my PT425; after almost a year of use, it still amazes me sometimes.

/ Doin' the PT Pucker #16  

we do allot of traveling on one customers lawn when distributing mulch to many large beds. this same machine also does hill mowing and toeing two 350 lbs wing mowers and other than adding slime, no weight was ever added to the pt 425.
we have exceeded kohler's recommendation of % of incline recommended. as we are introducing other drivers to the pt we start at moderate slopes with the added weight of two wing mowers attached. i think that this at the beginning is not a speed contest but a safe journey of a nicely cut lawn.

/ Doin' the PT Pucker

MossRoad<font color=green>Also, I try to not get into situations where the machine is turned fully to one side or the other when loading</font color=green>

The first time it happened to me I was dumping a bucket of rocks in an odd spot and it didn't want to curl. The next time I was backing, turning, and curling an empty bucket and it didn't curl so I stopped and tried to sort out what was happening.

/ Doin' the PT Pucker

MossRoad<font color=green>I've also noticed it is much safer to go backwards with a heavy load. Going forward, if you tip, the bucket digs in and stops the tractor. Going backward, if you tip, the bucket just acts like a skid plate and you don't stop so abruptly.
</font color=green>

My 1845 is not at all unstable with a full bucket and I learned many many years ago to keep it low anyway. There is no tendency to tip forward even with a most abrupt stop (this is with a small 9cu ft bucket, the only one I have.

/ Doin' the PT Pucker

MossRoad<font color=green>Wouldn't it be nice to have enough money to beat one to death just to see how much it could take ? </font color=green>

Next time you're in Tazewell with some time on your hands wander around until you find the mobile home dealer with two ancient red machines on landscape trailers in his lot. Those puppies have been USED!

/ Doin' the PT Pucker

Reds <font color=green>Had that same feeling yesterday while using the posthole digger. If you put downward pressure on the attachment too fast, you'll find yourself up in the air while the tractor is pivioting at the center. The tractor raised up and tilted to the right which caused more downward pressure since my hand was on the joystick. Yaahoo!
</font color=green>

Been there.... with the corner of the bucket on a rock... Wheeeee