Doing some concrete projects at the house...

/ Doing some concrete projects at the house... #1  

nikdfish

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038E & 1025R FILB
We decided to get some projects crossed off the "to-do" list for the house.

Since we moved into the house in 2010, the wife has been bugged by the fact that there was not a sidewalk from the driveway to the front door. Both of us were also less than happy with the half-a**ed job that had been done connecting our concrete driveway to the development asphalt road. The driveway had been put in before road was paved & for unknown reasons an arc of asphalt was used to connect drive to road, not even covering all the area that a simple "T" connection would have covered. I had covered the area in crusher run, but it was a pain to deal with when moving snow & ice.

We got a package price from our concrete contractor & he did both jobs the same day with one truckload.

The driveway first, the asphalt & most of the crusher run were removed & forms applied. Then the pour.
drive-pour-1.jpg

drive-pour-8.jpg

drive-apron-1.jpg

Then the sidewalk
sidewalk-pour-1.jpg

sidewalk-pour-5.jpg

sidewalk-pour-7.jpg

sidewalk1.jpg

The other thing accomplished was some additional prep for a metal garage by our parking area and the delivery of 12 tons of crusher run for use on the pad & a couple of other areas...

building-prep-1.jpg

gravel-12-tons.jpg

Nick

Last edited:
   / Doing some concrete projects at the house... #2  
Looking good :thumbsup:

/ Doing some concrete projects at the house... #3  
Looking good, how many yards of concrete?

/ Doing some concrete projects at the house... #4  
Your yard must be hard dry dirt. That truck would have never made it out of there where I'm at!

Looks good. What did you use for the curved forms?

/ Doing some concrete projects at the house... #5  
Your yard must be hard dry dirt. That truck would have never made it out of there where I'm at!

Looks like 1x4.

Ronnie

/ Doing some concrete projects at the house...
The permit for the metal building on slab came through so things got moving on that front too. The 1025R & backhoe got pressed into service for prep work, used the backhoe for the footers on the sides & the FEL for moving gravel...

The building is a vertical roof 22'x21' Carolina Carports metal garage. The frame footprint is 22'x20', so those are the dimensions for the slab.

garage-prep-4.jpg

garage-prep-5.jpg

garage-prep-6.jpg

Forms should be finished by the end of the day, the inspector is scheduled to come out tomorrow, and if all goes well, we should pour concrete on Monday...

I had rough graded the area earlier this year, but forms & gravel still needed to correct a 5" variation from side to side.

Nick

It's been hot & dry here for a while now. The boards on the pad forms look close to 2x4 stock, they measure 1 1/2" x 3 3/8". The ones used on the driveway & sidewalk may or may not be the same. The guys did mention that the older they get, the easier they take a bend. They have been using those a long time now...

Nick

/ Doing some concrete projects at the house... #8  
Your concrete finished out nicely. Really adds a nice touch to your place. Why didn't you use any rebar?

Not sure about the rebar question. The guys doing the work did the original driveway (before the road was paved) & based on how it has held up for 20+ years we were comfortable with trusting their judgement. I do know there was a significant fiber additive content to the mix.

Nick

/ Doing some concrete projects at the house... #10  
I just had some concrete work done too. The guy I had do the work was a real master at it, you might even say an artist. He did carved, stamped and stained steps, patio and walks and really upgraded the looks out front of our place. The front steps look for the world like they made of natural stone. He was really stoked when he found a nice bonus in the last check.

He used rebar and lots of fiber fill. To allow for carving, he uses pea gravel instead of crushed stone. For forming curves they used some kind of hard board siding cut into strips.

He put me and the tractor to work too. There was a lot of improper grading to correct and some filling that needed to be done. The landscaper had me huppin too. The previous owner actually had water draining to the house so we had to tear out all the existing sidewalks, decks, porch etc then we replaced the whole shootin match with concrete. Looks a lot better than the hodgepodge of different stuff he had going on and no worries about fire, rot or bugs anymore.

If and when I can find a decent steel guy to do the frame and pan decking for the rear deck, I'll have him back for the concrete work.

Steps.jpg