dolmar

/ dolmar #1  

highboy1975

Silver Member
ok, ive been looking at chainsaws and ive got it narrowed down to 2. the dolmar 5100 and the 6400. i can get them for 395 and 569 respectively. i have a few very large pines that are going to need cut up soon, but, the rest of my cutting afterwards probably wont exceed 16-18 inch diameter. i was thinking the 5100 with a 20in bar would be really nice, but the 6400 would be nice too for the bigger cutting, but i dont want it to be too much saw. i wanted to get a few recommendations, will the big pines be too much for the 5100 or would that be considered abuse? a couple of the pines are over 30 inches at the base. i like the 6400, but its a big saw. id rather take a little longer with the pines and have a good all around saw than resent the 6400 for its extra heft. and please, dont bother suggesting a stihl, im not doubting that theyre a good saw, but dolmar flat out beats them in power vs weight and price. the 6400 is lighter, more powerful, and alot cheaper than the 362 and stihl doesnt make anything comparable to the 5100.

thanks in advance

/ dolmar #2  
I suggest you get the Makita 6401,which is a blue dolmar 6400...its now 499 at baileysonline.com.... the 6401 is a great saw,also can easily be upgraded to 79ccs with factory parts or 85cc with aftermarket jug....check baileys specials.Also if you have a HD rental center near you,you can pick one up used occasionally for 200.00! They you can get the big bore kit,and have a fresh,like new 79cc,lightweight,6+hp saw for a little over 300!

/ dolmar
ive done the research and im aware that the makita and dolmar are twins, but i didnt know there was a price difference. as far as buying a rental, i do have a problem with that. i havent gotten into small engines enough to be comfortable doing that switch. ill have to check out baileys. thanks for the tip, im definately impressed with the dolmars, and it could be hot pink if it runs like crazy.

/ dolmar
im gona make some phone calls tomorow to find out about servicing. i dont want to drive 30 miles to get the thing worked on. im a little bit leary of buying something online like that, and im going to see what the dolmar dealer will do to get the sale. i like having a dealer customer relationship, but the price on the makita is really good. 469.99 is the special price, not 499.99. thats almost 100$ cheaper than the dolmar. if the dealer will get within 50$ after shipping ill stick with the dolmar, just to have a dealer i can go to and have that relationship with.

/ dolmar #5  
I bought a Makita(Dolmar) 510 from Baileys a few weeks back with the 20" bar.
I'm very impressed, I really like the saw. Was $362.18 delivered to SC from CA. Haven't ever used any of their bigger saws, but if the 510 is any indication I'd like them too...;)

/ dolmar #6  
ive done the research and im aware that the makita and dolmar are twins, but i didnt know there was a price difference. as far as buying a rental, i do have a problem with that. i havent gotten into small engines enough to be comfortable doing that switch. ill have to check out baileys. thanks for the tip, im definately impressed with the dolmars, and it could be hot pink if it runs like crazy.

Thats the beauty of the Makita..most ppl have no clue how good a saw it is....I tried to buy one from a rental center for a year,they just never were available.All the stores had 4 for rent,one one saw I tried didnt pass the pull rope test.....they told me the price would be 199.95 off rental with a new 20" bar,and chain....that is a steal,BTW most of the rentals were like new,and had only minor use on them,although there were a few that clearly were well used...I ended up buying a very clean Husqvarna 372XP with low compression,and put a new woods ported jug and new piston rings in it,MAN does this thing scream!It is a little stronger than the 6400 or 6401,until you swap to the 7900 jug...anyway.but i really wanted the dolmar,when one becomes available off rental ill snatch it up!

/ dolmar #7  
The 5100 was updated for the 5105. They incorporated all of the fixes/upgrades that were put in to later 5100's i.e improved air filtration, etc. and modified crankcase to allow increased airflow through the cylinder fins.

/ dolmar
im gona be calling home depot tomorow to see if theyll match baileys price on a brand new one. if theyll match the price, ill buy from home depot. if not, im goin with baileys. the only thing i dont like about the makita is that terrible color. theyre so ugly. ive looked at all the big brands, stihl, echo, husky, shindaiwa, and i have to say the dolmar is the steal of the bunch. i wasnt impressed with the reviews i got on the shindaiwa, and i just cant handle the thought of buying the echo(japanese). ive been to look at them but as soon as that tag is visible i hafta leave the store because my stomache sinks. ill be placing an order tomorow hopefully. ill post back what happens.