Don't read National Geographic!

/ Don't read National Geographic! #11  
I've hit a few deer with my school bus but since I drive the bus pretty slowly the only damage was the deer. I try real hard to avoid them even though some of the kids yell out 'hit it hit it'. but given the choice of wacking a deer or doing something foolish with my bus you know who loses.
I would spend some time as Eddie suggested getting money out of the insurer.

/ Don't read National Geographic! #12  
Sunday morning, I got a nice doe for only $3900

Just think, Most hunters spend that on hunting club fees alone for a year & never kill a deer.:D Glad to hear no one was hurt. People have been seriously injured & killed when the deer comes through the windshield of the vehicle

/ Don't read National Geographic! #15  
Occasionaly I drive I-66 into the Washington DC area and there are road kill deer everywhere... Seems the closer you get to the city, the worst the deer kill is and many are hit by semi trucks!

mark

The city is full of deer. I mean Loudon, Fairfax, Prince William and Fauquier have antlerless season till March 2009 - they are trying to at least stop the growth of the deer population. I have seen deer killed on the Beltway during morning rush hour, now that's no fun at all with four lanes going bumper to bumper.

And still there are people who will not allow hunting deer in suburbs:mad:

/ Don't read National Geographic! #16  
I hit a nice doe two weeks ago about 1/2 mile from the house. It was 5:30 in the AM and I was going about 50 mph. It was like she dropped out of the sky! I didn't even have time to say "Aw sh..!" Hit her square in the side. She slid down the road about 50 ft and off into the ditch. By the time the Sheriff's deputy got there and we went to look, she was gone.

The only bright spot was that the car was a loaner from the Subaru dealer while mine was in for service. :) I did feel bad calling and telling them that their 2008 Tribeca was on it's way back on a wrecker.

/ Don't read National Geographic!
Well, I guess I needn't have worried. The insurance adjuster had no problem with the estimate, even where it included something like 15 hours labor for the paint. They must charge for the drying time....some guy gets paid to watch it, I suppose. I might apply for that job. As a chemist, my liver is probably already shot, so the paint fumes can't hurt me.:D

This morning I passed the spot where I got mine, and there was another deer on the other side of the road from where mine ended up. Real popular spot!

As to hunting, while I don't hunt, unless popping the rabbits, squirrels, coon, possums, etc, that bother my garden and fruit trees counts, I encourage deer hunters to take all the deer they can. Unfortunately, it seems that hunting is declining just when the deer population is booming. I would hunt deer, but I just can't bring myself to eat the meat. I know it is supposed to taste wonderful, but it always has a special whang to my taste buds. And if I don't eat it, I sure don't want to go to all the trouble to dress it out for someone else. I've been tempted to shoot deer on my place just to get rid of them, but again, it seems like quite a bit more waste than the smaller pests I put out of my misery.

Chuck

/ Don't read National Geographic! #18  
When the subject of deer hits with cars comes up at work I often times have to remind the anti hunting folks that either the herd is thinned by the hunters who use the animal for food or they can be thinned by 4000 pound cars. Unfortunately, people die in some of these collisions.

I just don't think the anti hunting folks have really thought this one through.

It's much better to be hit by a car and splattered all over the road VS shot and consumed. :p

As my mom once told me, "If all the little animals lived, we'd be up to our eyeballs in chipmunks."

/ Don't read National Geographic! #19  
I hope they fix it. On our New England trip earlier this month, we were getting 32+ MPG on the road. I measured one leg at better than 35 MPG and didn't quite believe that one, but at every fill-up I was getting better than 30, and that included one day when we drove up near Mt. Washington. Seems to me the MPG increased after we got past the first 100K.

Chuck

I love our 2000 Impala LS. Very nice road car. We lived out of it for two weeks a few years ago out to Montana and back and again for 10 days last summer out to D.C. and back. The car has just the right balance of power and economy. It also has tons of leg room. I can put the driver seat all the way back and if I sit in the back seat, my knees do not touch the seat in front of me. The trunk is huge! I cannot reach the front of the trunk from the back. We can lay two card tables flat and eight chairs in that thing. And the factory stereo is really nice and clear all the way up to the deafening level. Great bass for a factory car. I can bounce the windows and mirrors if I want to. We have the leather package, power everything and heated seats. I will miss that car some day, that is for sure. :)

/ Don't read National Geographic! #20  
Sorry to hear about your accident.

When dealing with the insurance company, I've found it helps allot to refuse their first few offers. They will go to allot of effort to convince you that it's as high as they will go, but the longer you hold out, the higher this number goes.

I've seen it happen several times, and heard of it from others. I can't guaranee that you'll get more by holding out, but be sure to know the actual value of your vehicle and be willing to take the time to drag it out. It's usually worth the effort.

Good Luck,
Eddie

When our car was pelted with golf ball sized hail, I immediately called the insurance company and set up an appointment at a drive through inspection station. Two days later, I had a check in my hand and a body shop ready estimate. They gave me my choice of several body shops and said if the body shop says it will cost more, call them. The body shop tried paintless dent removal on all the panels with damage (basically, the entire car had dents... every panel but the two right doors were damaged.) The process failed on the hood, one door and the trunk deck, so the body shop called the insurance company, they gave them more money and the car was repaired satisfactorily. We have Allstate. Pretty good job this time.

Several years ago, our van was in an accident. It did not go as well as this time with the same insurance company. So, one bad experience and one great experience = average experience, I guess. :)